windows file cross-compatibility(win95/98)

Spewn

2[H]4U
Can windows 95 use windows 98 files, namely, networking files? A friend of mine has a REALLY old system with like, a 400 meg harddrive in it, and it came with win95 installed. Problem is, I don't have a win95 cd, and I can't install win98 on a harddrive that small, and the computer doesn't have a cdrom drive so I'd have to bring mine over there if I wanted to copy the files over anyway. Is it possible? Or should I just tell my friend she's out of luck unless she can get a win95 cd, or a bigger harddrive?

i would guess that's a big NO. i dont know for sure, but each OS, while similar, does many things differently. you could try it and see what happens, but i doubt it will work. is she that poor that she can't do a few upgrades? i know a lot of ppl are (myself included), but 400 meg HDD just seems like it should be thrown in the trash.

Well, the biggest problem is that the computer is old enough that no retail equipment(save possibly keyboards, mice, monitors, and cdrom-drives) will work with it. I know for a fact that she couldn't just go out and pick up a 40gig hd and throw it in that system, it simply wouldn't work.

She wants to install a network card in it, so she can use msn etc. Problem is, while there's no difficulty installing the NIC drivers, I'd need a win95 cd to install the tcp/ip stack files and whatnot.

ahhh... ok, i see now. but unfortunately, i don't know if the 98 files will work. you can always just try it. it can't hurt cuz you can just delete them if they don't work

True...if push comes to shove, I'll just convince my dad that 3.7gigs is not enough space for the family computer, and that dropping a bit of money on a 40 gig hd would be good, that way I can get my 2.6 gig hd that I bought like 8 years ago back :D hehe

Or, if your like most people on here...grab the 20GB HD that's being used as a paper weight, and your closest Ghost boot disk. Go to her house, drop the new drive in, and install Win98.

PS> If your friend is hot, make sure she knws how difficult and time consuming the process is...and suggest ways in which she may make it up to you. :)

lol :p

Actually, a 20gig hd won't work in that machine either. I know because I have a very similar machine that I tried putting my old 20 gig into when I upgraded to a 120gig, and it would only read the 20 gig as 8 gigs, and even after fdisk'ing/formatting etc, wouldn't work properly.

Back