Windows Explore Crashing

Xp Pro 32bit
MSi K8n Neo2
AMD64 3200+ (not OC)
Fresh Install of Xp Pro

Ok everything else works on my pc. But when I open a windows explorer window like; my computer, control panel, a folder on the desktop, and etc. I got an error that says.
Data Execution Prevention
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.

I did all updates
Did spybot and adaware
I did not change any major settings.

This problem happens like 30min later after all updates. I have already done install Xp like 5 times and i get the same problem.

oh yea in safemode it works fine

Try trading out drivers for different versions.

That error means that execution jumped to a part of memory that was data, not executable instructions. It's a feature in most CPUs and OSes (but was absent from x86) to prevent buffer\heap overrun attacks against a system.

Getting that error means that there is a flaw in some component and that it is failing either accidentally or is being make to fail as part of an attack against the component.

I know the windows components were checked pretty closely for DEP type issues, so the first thing I'd do is see if there are updated drivers for things like your video card, ide controller... etc. Perhaps something in one of those id behaving badly and is writing malformed data into the process space.

I'd also double check the firewall, just to be sure it's enabled.

Use the system for a while and see if there are other apps that cause the failure to manifest. If you need to disable DEP for explorer to try other programs, you can always do that by right clicking "my computer" and going to properties->advanced->performance\memory->DEP

I already tired to disable DEP and it still crashes. The thing i know of that could cause it is my PCI IDE raid card. Since it's a no name off ebay finding newer drivers is kind of hard. I look hard for them. I also have zonealarm.

There is still something doing bad things though, but I'm not sure I could get more info without trying to debug the dump file (and I'm no expert in that). If you really need to figure out what's going, Ranma_Sao might be willing to help. He's another user here on the forums that is better at tracking down issues from an application dump file.

I think this is it:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

Back