Windows Experience Index at a 1??

Kahos252

n00b
My friend just put together a new system. Everything else is fine, except for in Windows Experience Index; its telling him that his Graphics is rated at a 1. Everything else is at a 5.9 or 5.8. He was installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and ran WEI again. It still came out as a 1. He is currently downloading some games to try it out but its gonna take him awhile. Any help you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

Phenom II x4 940
Biostar Tforce TA790GX128M
Evga 260GTX 192core
2gigs of RAM

It might be benching the onboard video for the index video score to be only 1.
He could try GPU-Z and see what it shows his card as.
Have him look in BIOS for a setting to disable the onboard video and use PCI-E.

Yeah we just tried disabling the Onboard video in BIOS, and rerunning the test it still says 1. GPU-Z shows the 260gtx. After playing a couple of rounds in CSS, the computer runs smoothly, guess Vista is just messed up.

if Vista has not been activated i dont think it updates the score.

uhhhh, very helpful post there bud.
Seriously, use something else like Linux or XP. Then you won't have to worry about a stupid "Windows Experience Index" to begin with. They're just crap-numbers.

don't listen to them

nothing wrong with vista, good chance that your drivers are not installed correctly =) and if it is then I had the same problem before, I would update it, it would rate it 5.9 then when i leave it would go back to 1, who cares really but try the driver reinstall first

Seriously, use something else like Linux or XP. Then you won't have to worry about a stupid "Windows Experience Index" to begin with. They're just crap-numbers.

uhhh, users dont have to "worry" about the numbers anyway, as long as everything is running well, who gives a crap. at least vista users have the opportunity to see how their system ranks...

and this thread is not even about windows xp or linux...so why bring it up other than to threadcrap.

You know, after installing XP last year just to see if I could relive the nostalgia, but no, I could not stand it anymore. I COULD NOT STAND IT. LITERALLY. Reinstalled Vista the next day and I let out a huge relief, it was like I was suffocating...

The onboard graphics on that board will get a lot higher than a 1 for all those people...

When I just reinstalled Vista a few weeks ago, my WEI wouldn't update either even though I had the drivers installed. I don't remember if it was after I ran the DX web installer or after, either way after the system was fully patched and I was using it I ran it again and it worked. I don't know what along the way made it start working but the DX installer makes sense since it does check DX performance.
You know, after installing XP last year just to see if I could relive the nostalgia, but no, I could not stand it anymore. I COULD NOT STAND IT. LITERALLY. Reinstalled Vista the next day and I let out a huge relief, it was like I was suffocating...
qft XP really doesn't have a place anymore except for Businesses (because some companies have to run very old software) and slower computers. Vista is a great OS

When I just reinstalled Vista a few weeks ago, my WEI wouldn't update either even though I had the drivers installed. I don't remember if it was after I ran the DX web installer or after, either way after the system was fully patched and I was using it I ran it again and it worked. I don't know what along the way made it start working but the DX installer makes sense since it does check DX performance.qft XP really doesn't have a place anymore except for Businesses (because some companies have to run very old software) and slower computers. Vista is a great OS

Don't be so fast to say that. It may be good for you, but many people still prefer to game and do daily work on XP.

i have to have an xp install to fool around with for one of my classes and after using vista for so long and now some windows 7...xp while very fast on todays hardware is just awful to look at it from a gui aspect.

Don't be so fast to say that. It may be good for you, but many people still prefer to game and do daily work on XP.
I know, Vista is a big change. I know people that are just comfortable with XP and that's fine.

I didn't like the way XP looked when I upgraded from 98 but it was just superior in every way I couldn't go back. Same with how I feel about Vista, I forced myself to get used to the GUI and I'm glad I did. Vista can have a problem running well on some o

.xp while very fast on todays hardware is just awful to look at it from a gui aspect.
Benchmarks have been going around the web that 7 is faster on some older hardware than XP is in day to day task. Mainly due to Superfetch and 3d accelerated GUI, but still it's nice to get more life out of your older PC if the OS takes better advantage of the hardware you have.

I know, Vista is a big change. I know people that are just comfortable with XP and that's fine.

I didn't like the way XP looked when I upgraded from 98 but it was just superior in every way I couldn't go back. Same with how I feel about Vista, I forced myself to get used to the GUI and I'm glad I did. Vista can have a problem running well on some o

Benchmarks have been going around the web that 7 is faster on some older hardware than XP is in day to day task. Mainly due to Superfetch and 3d accelerated GUI, but still it's nice to get more life out of your older PC if the OS takes better advantage of the hardware you have.

I was actually quite fond of Vista and didn't have any issues with it at all. Ran it for probably 6 months or so around the time it was released and without any serious gripes, but then decided to go back to XP. It just didn't offer anything significant enough to make me continue to use it, and there was a performance hit while gaming. It just really made my machine (at the time) feel antiquated even though it wasn't.

For now I'm just waiting for Windows 7, once that comes around I'll more than likely upgrade.

Should have hopped on the Beta download. It's pretty slick. Not for every computer though. The desktop in my sig had all kinds of issues with it, but my laptop? Runs perfect on it.

Back