windows doesn't see dvd rw drive

tim_m

i'm so nice
i picked up a sony dru-710A dual layer burner and windows doesn't see it, it's not in my computer or in device manager. it shows up in the bios. i did restart one time in safe mode and it was detected. when i restarted in regular mode it wasn't. i had a cd rw drive before i got this one, it replaced the cd rw. when i put the old cd rw back in, it was detected just fine. i then removed the old one from the device manager, shut down the computer, put the new drive in, then it was detected in normal mode. nero was able to burn to it just fine. next time i rebooted it wasn't detected again. an interesting note, pressing the eject button on the dvd rw drive does nothing at all when it isn't being seen by windows, it does work right when i turn my computer on, during POST. i'm at a loss, i'm guessing my winxp is somehow screwed up which is why i posted in OSes not GenHardware. for the record, i can usually figure out all my own problems, but not with this one ;)

this is winxp pro sp1.

TIA

Try deleting the IDE controller from Device Manager, reboot and let Windows redetect and reinstall everything, assuming the jumper settings are alright.

the jumpers were definately right to begin with, but i understnad that you have to ask that, just for the record ;). deleting the ide controllers didn't do it. i also flashed my bios but that didn't help
:(

bump. i need to try it in someone else's computer, but haven't had the chance yet. i would still appreciate suggestions though

ARGGG

i tried it in one of the computers at work (plugged into the ide port) and it worked fine. it also works in an external usb enclosure on my computer but it still does not work if plugged directly into the ide port on my computer.

i just formatted and reinstalled windows. i installed windows from this drive but it was not detected after installation. that is, it showed up in my computer immediately after installation, but maybe when i restarted it it didn't show up and hasn't since.

this is driving me nuts!!! :mad: :mad: :confused: :eek:

also, clearing the cmos (aka not overclocked) did not help. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Boy do I have the solution for you:

I have a Sony DRU-500A for about 2 years now. I had it in System A and it worked good. A year later put it in System B and it worked good.

Then about a month ago I put it back in System A which is a Dell Poweredge 600SC.
and BAM it doesn't show up in Windows...

Ok so this box has 3 IDE channels and I have 4 Hard Drives, another DVD Reader drive and the Sony DRU-500A.

It show's up in the Bios but NO LUCK in Windows (Advanced Server 2000). I played for about an hour with it and finally figured it out:

The key is that it will ONLY WORK when I did something like this: I set the drive jumper for the 500A to Master and the DVD Reader to Slave but on the IDE Cable I plugged in what would equate to the "Slave" connector. (That would be the one at the end of the cable If I recall if you were using Cable Select) and ONLY THEN could I get windows to see the 500A.

I knew the 500A worked by itself sometimes in windows cause I could get that part to work. Try your drive in all combinations of master/slave on the first/second connector on the IDE cable. Then report back ;)

^^ i can't thank you enough. i can't believe i didn't think of anything like that before. i had the problem, no solution was aparant and i guess i kinda gave up since i didn't have the time to fiddle around with it.

originally, i had it like so
primary ide
- master - lite-on dvd rom
- slave - 40 gig OS HD
secondary ide
- master - sony dru 710a
- slave - 80 gig storage HD

when i unplugged the 80 gig drive so i only had the dvd rw, it showed up in windows. my first thought was to set the jumper of the hd to slave, it was at cable select before. plugged it back in and the dvd rw did not show up. i set the jumper of the dvd rw to slave and the jumper of the hd to master but the dvd rw was plugged into the master connector on the ide cable and the hd into the slave, so it was reversed. the bios was happy enough with that and now so is windows. i still can't quite believe it. thanks again :)

w00t w00t

A big'ole pat on the back for myself for that one... glad to see I finally directly resolved an issue for someone with direct experience and a really wierd problem at that. I REALLY deserve this 3 day weekend of WoW for myself now ;)

Oh yeah glad it worked for ya heh

Back