Windows defender - Can no longer be disabled permanently?

Entilza

Limp Gawd
With the anniversary update 1607 there does not seem to be any way to disable windows defender. I am using the Home edition and tried the previous registry "DisableAntiSpyware" keys that used to work. It no longer works.

Also any attempts to change the key in the Services for "WinDefend" not to start ie: =4 for disabled is not allowed, even with changing ownership of the key or running regedit with 'psexec' elevated privileges.

Has anyone figured out a way to disable it? This is the first time I really feel Microsoft has truly locked me out.

WIth the new Windows creator update it will probably change any hack that worked now anyway but I'd like to disable this antivirus. Thanks for any suggestions.

In all seriousness, why are you trying to disable this antivirus? If you install another one, it disables the built in one, if that is what you are trying to do.

Can't you still do it via Group Policy Editor?

Winkey+R to bring up the run dialog
Type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes, hit OK

Browse to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Defender.
Double-Click on "Turn off Windows Defender", select Enabled, Click OK

I'm on 1607 and this still works for me. Does this work for you? Never tried it on the home version TBH. You should upgrade to Pro.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't want any antivirus because the small mini atom computer I am using has limited resources and it is not on the internet or any network so I like to push every last bit of processing power :)

Yes this home version is limited, it's what came with the mini computer. I used to be able to disable it with registry entries similar to group policy, however now it is totally locked. Nice to know the Pro version allows this.

CMD - regedit - hkey_local_machine\software\policies\microsoft\windows defender
Create new DWORD named "DisableAntiSpyware" with a value of 1

Reactions: DPI
like this
Thanks Kyle, that was the exact command I had prior to this new Windows which worked perfectly, however it has no effect on this new Windows! Much appreciated though.

I wonder if GotNoRice could share whats in that same registry path after changing it through Group Policy. hkey_local_machine\software\policies\microsoft\windows defender

Hey, Ent, I went to gpedit and made the change. It simply sets the DisableAntiSpyware to a value of 1.

Thanks, for confirming that, there must be something else causing it to turn on in the Home edition then, perhaps something in the \Run Registry keys or perhaps if it determines it's the home edition it ignores that setting. I'll keep trying :)

Kill the process if it's running.
Stop & disable the service.
Find the service's registry key and take ownership of it.
Modify permissions on that registry and set enable the permission to Deny Read rights for the System account.
Reboot the machine.
Done.
The service will not even appear listed in the OS Service List as the OS no longer has rights to read that registry key.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't want any antivirus because the small mini atom computer I am using has limited resources and it is not on the internet or any network so I like to push every last bit of processing power :)

Yes this home version is limited, it's what came with the mini computer. I used to be able to disable it with registry entries similar to group policy, however now it is totally locked. Nice to know the Pro version allows this.

If you disable the real time protection it is not using any resources but you can still use it to do a scan occasionally.

I have a policy of never running an antivirus on Windows, never using it to surf the internet, never plugging unknown usb devices to it, never using software downloaded from non-origin sources on it, never using it for anything business critical such as internet banking, never running it as the main OS with the exception of gaming...

And I haven't had any Windows related problems for ages if you count out my sons settings being reset with every update.

I treat every windows box with the assumption that it's infected. Which in many ways they are right from the box.

In all seriousness, why are you trying to disable this antivirus? If you install another one, it disables the built in one, if that is what you are trying to do.
False positives + automatic deletes = pretty annoying software

I am 99.9% sure, the "home edition" has this locked out ever since the Anniversary Update 1607. Unless someone can prove otherwise. (From a fresh install - not updating prior to 1607 - I believe if you had it disabled prior to the anniversary update it still will be disabled)

I ended up finding a cheap Win10 Pro Key on Ebay, I updated the device and within 5 seconds I had it disabled with group policy editor :)

Back