Windows crashing when starting any Office programs

ppilot

Weaksauce
So in the last couple days I've been running into a weird issue with Windows 8.1 crashing every time I run a windows office program. When the crash occurs the computer locks up, the screen then goes dark, and it randoms pops up with everything looks scrambled. Eventually the computer restarts. Possibly related to this is that I've been getting a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error.

After reading that the above error is often video card related, switched over to onboard video and nothing is crashing anymore.

Could I have a bad video card?

Setup
Windows 8.1 Pro
Office 2013 Pro Plus
XFX Radeon R7870 with latest drivers

Possible bad video card, however more likely a driver issue. Can you play any games just fine (or other apps that would push the video card)? Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers?

I actually haven't tried playing games besides Endless Legend and the Third Age Total war mod for Medieval II Total War. I am using the AMD driver cleaner and will do a fresh install to see if that helps things.

Update:

So after a clean install of the drivers, things appear to be working fine again. Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Back