Windows Clients Can't Find Server (SBS 03)

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Ugh and here we go again.

I get into the office and none of the computers are working "online". The network is up and running fine, I can ping all nodes, no issues in the event logs on either the clients or server.

We log in as a domain user, and we're prompted with "Offline Files - Working offline". I can ping the server though. If I browse to "\\sbs01" im greeted with 1 share, Users.

Now if I log in as a local user and I browse to "\\sbs01" I'm greeted with all the shares.

This is really getting to me, does anyone have any advice or ideas what the hell is happening?

can you post an ipconfig /all from the server, and a workstation?

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sbs01
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : BoatesEnterprises.local
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : BoatesEnterprises.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Ada
pter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-72-9F-18
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Theres the Server IPCONFIG, give me a second for the Client IPCONFIG
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : boates01
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                            boatesenterprises.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : boatesenterprises.local
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-99-20-C1
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 06, 2008 12:55:17 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:55:17 P

I just noticed while looking at the wkstation that Im not grabbing a Default Gateway... how the hell does that happen, and how do I fix this. Also would this be causing the connectivity issues?

OKay well I ran the CEICW and it fixed the gateway issue, still a no go. . . here is updated ipconfig /all

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : boates01
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                            BoatesEnterprises.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : BoatesEnterprises.local
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-99-20-C1
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 06, 2008 1:16:05 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:16:05 PM

can you confirm that you are seeing the same symptoms being exhibited on *all* workstations?

how long has the server been up? is this proper server hardware, or some white-box homebrew? kinda get the impression this is an ongoing problem? daft as it sounds, have you bounced the server?

edit: sorry - only just seen your sig where it says a pe1900.

I had a somewhat similar issue the other day (only it was one or two clients who couldn't see the DC) and I had to uninstall the NICs on the clients and then reboot and re-install the drivers and then they joined no problem.

Update: Cleared the cache and all was well, once account had over 6gigs of backed up cache, told her she was beat and I dont care, flushed the cache and all is good.

im sure teh fileserver has more then enough space for her 20gb itunes library. man some of my clients have 40-50gb my doc on folder redirection. i could care less. rather their stuff be on a safer medium then having them call me saying their computer is crashed and they cant get there crappy musac.

client is always right =)

LOL, I had a client whose backup started failing about a year ago. They also said that some users were getting errors about their mailboxes exceeding a limit or something when they opened up outlook. Took a look at the logs and noticed their VXA-2 tape drive was out of space. Started digging through the folders on their SBS noticed the users folder was now over 60GB when it had been under 20GB the month prior. Also noticed that the exchange database was approaching the 25GB mark for some reason. Started digging through shit and found that the ladies at the office were emailing each other entire CDs worth of MP3 files!!!! They had the same farking 2GB of music stuck in their mailboxes as well as their my docs folders, each of them. Called the office manager to let her know what was up and she gave the thumbs down on using the server to store their illegally obtained music and told me to delete all of it. That was funny. Backups started working again for some reason . . . .

im sure teh fileserver has more then enough space for her 20gb itunes library. man some of my clients have 40-50gb my doc on folder redirection. i could care less. rather their stuff be on a safer medium then having them call me saying their computer is crashed and they cant get there crappy musac.

client is always right =)

Got to remember this isn't just a client, it's an office that I'm in perm. Also it wasn't the fact that she was storing it on the server, or that it was 48GB. . . it's the fact that it caused issues that didn't need to be. I already have it setup so each user can store things they'd rather not lose on the server, they all have their own share for important docs, whether from home, office or whatever.

Back