Windows capping my download speed at 200mbps

**DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING**

We have a Winner

**DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING** **DING**

If I had a prize to give mvmiller12 would get it!!!

I noticed TCO/IP Optimizer came up as "custom" so I slammer the slider to the right, clicked the windows default check box and clicked apply.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would again like to thank everyone for the help with this. I know I learned a bit and now have a new tool to really mess up my system with.

SpeedTest.net is now reporting me at:

Ping 10
Down 943.68
Up 39.19

before it would not exceed 200 down no matter what.

I wonder if it is time to get my netgear CM1100 setup and get channel bonding going.

:) Glad to be of service, sir!

Oh, just noticed that you are also running a Crosshair VI mainboard...

Just an FYI, Intel has released a new driver pack for their NICs (which this board uses an Intel NIC)... package version is 24.1 and you can find it here.

Thanks - I checked Asus a couple days ago - nothing new, it does take them a while to post things though.

I do like to keep current in a very [H] way - I also dont want to tempt fate.

I've heard this nic and/or the intel software that goes with it can be pretty temperamental too.

Thanks - I checked Asus a couple days ago - nothing new, it does take them a while to post things though.

I do like to keep current in a very [H] way - I also dont want to tempt fate.

If it helps, I regularly update my NIC drivers from Intel and have no issues. The only "drivers" I download from Asus are BIOS files :). They don't update their stuff very often there. I'm running Verizon FiOS (Almost) Gigabit service, BTW, so I feel you on getting those download speeds.

glad you got it sorted, op.

nice one mvmiller12 , I didn't know about that util. I would have suggested the windows network reset next, but that seems more thorough. again, nice one!!

I'm pretty sure something in the registry got twaeked.

LMI emailed me back telling me it was a coincidence.

I've read about Hamachi causing other network issues - who knows.

Last edited:
or you could save yourself some life and throw your computer straight into the trash when linux first boots up. even steam doesnt want linux anymore ubuntu support is getting dropped-
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-is-dropping-support-for-ubuntu-but-not-linux-entirely/

This was steam forcing ubuntu to not do what they had planned more than anything.
Also not using ubuntu..

They do not have linux developer positions open if they weren't dedicated to support it.

Be careful of the Windows network reset. I used to think it was one of the handiest tools ever until it sent two separate machines into an unrecoverable boot loop. The device boots to the desktop, then states Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart. The problem is there's no time to make any changes to anything as it reboots so quickly and the same issue happens in Safe Mode.

My recommendation now is any time you perform a network reset turn on System Restore and make a restore point first.

Be careful of the Windows network reset. I used to think it was one of the handiest tools ever until it sent two separate machines into an unrecoverable boot loop. The device boots to the desktop, then states Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart. The problem is there's no time to make any changes to anything as it reboots so quickly and the same issue happens in Safe Mode.

My recommendation now is any time you perform a network reset turn on System Restore and make a restore point first.

MS changed system restore -- the only points I had were from a windows update just a few days ago. It doesnt keep a bunch of them going backwards anymore.

MS changed system restore -- the only points I had were from a windows update just a few days ago. It doesnt keep a bunch of them going backwards anymore.

I mean, do a manual system restore 'snapshot' before using the network reset tool. It's the only way out of the loop should you be unfortunate to get into it in the first place. I find it crazy how MS have disabled system restore by default?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Linux-Usage-For-June-2019

on top of that the biggest "distro" was always their steamos steambox, which has been dead for year. i swear these linux cli junkies claim themsevles as sysadmin geniuses but then all of the sudden google stops working when this comes up.
You can continue to enjoy being shafted by MS and all the ransomware/viruses/malware that's associated with Windows use lol. Suit yourself.

My fix - increase transmit & receive buffers to maximum for the NIC driver options

I was having this issue recently & needed to find a real fix that gave me max throughput from the router.

I'm going to give the TCP/IP Optimizer a try & see if I can get even better results.

If you ever find out what program(s) actually changed your network settings, it would be good to know.

Glad you got it fixed. I'm curious as to what exact changes the TCP Optimizer made. I'll have to download and play with that program a bit.

I'll see if I can find a log file.

The only thing I had installed or changed on my system recently was Hamachi - about 6 weeks ago I turned on Hyper V to play with a server - but never actually got around to it.

I believe this is what it was set to before it was fixed.

[netsh]
AutoTuningLevelLocal=0
ScalingHeuristics=2
CongestionProvider=5
ReceiveSegmentCoalescing=1
ReceiveSideScaling=2
Large Send Offload=1
Checksum Offload=1
EcnCapability=2
Chimney=2
Timestamps=2
MaxSynRetransmissions=3
NonSackRttResiliency=2
InitialRto(ms)=1000
MinRto(ms)=300
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
explorer.exe=4
iexplore.exe=-1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
explorer.exe=2
iexplore.exe=-1
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
LocalPriority=499
HostsPriority=500
DnsPriority=2000
NetbtPriority=2001
[SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
NonBestEffortLimit=0
[System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS]
Do not use NLA=-2
Do not use NLA_SEL=0
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
NetworkThrottlingIndex=10
NetworkThrottlingIndex_SEL=10
SystemResponsiveness=20
SystemResponsiveness_SEL=20
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
Size=-1
Size_SEL=0
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
LargeSystemCache=0
LargeSystemCache_SEL=0
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
MaxUserPort=-1
TcpTimedWaitDelay=-1
DefaultTTL=-1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
TCPNoDelay=-2
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0
[Ethernet]
MTU=1500
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{E4A6995E-9DB2-4CC3-9C70-6A0319655F31}]
TcpAckFrequency=-1
TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
TcpDelAckTicks=-1
TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0

This is what it is set to now:
[netsh]
AutoTuningLevelLocal=3
ScalingHeuristics=2
CongestionProvider=2
ReceiveSegmentCoalescing=2
ReceiveSideScaling=1
Large Send Offload=2
Checksum Offload=1
EcnCapability=2
Chimney=2
Timestamps=2
MaxSynRetransmissions=1
NonSackRttResiliency=2
InitialRto(ms)=2000
MinRto(ms)=300
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
explorer.exe=10
iexplore.exe=10
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
explorer.exe=10
iexplore.exe=10
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
LocalPriority=4
HostsPriority=5
DnsPriority=6
NetbtPriority=7
[SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
NonBestEffortLimit=0
[System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS]
Do not use NLA=1
Do not use NLA_SEL=1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
NetworkThrottlingIndex_SEL=0
SystemResponsiveness=10
SystemResponsiveness_SEL=10
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
Size=3
Size_SEL=3
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
LargeSystemCache=1
LargeSystemCache_SEL=1
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
MaxUserPort=65534
TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
DefaultTTL=64
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0
[Ethernet]
MTU=1500
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{E4A6995E-9DB2-4CC3-9C70-6A0319655F31}]
TcpAckFrequency=-1
TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
TcpDelAckTicks=-1
TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Linux-Usage-For-June-2019

on top of that the biggest "distro" was always their steamos steambox, which has been dead for year. i swear these linux cli junkies claim themsevles as sysadmin geniuses but then all of the sudden google stops working when this comes up.

We may make up 2% of PC users that we know of, but it's obvious that we're the top 2%.

Seriously, 0.08% is statistical noise. Furthermore, people need to realize that those percentages represent very little. If Steam's overall user base increased as a result of another Chinese internet cafe opening up using pirated versions of Windows 7, but the number of Linux users under Steam remained the same, the percentage will appear to drop as the pie as a whole is now larger. You'll never topple Windows as the OS of choice under Steam unless MS shoot themselves in the head, it's been part of the platform from the beginning and is therefore the developers ingrained platform of choice. But when you consider Linux vs MacOS, Linux allows for full OGL support, full Vulkan support, better drivers, Nvidia drivers (Nvidia web drivers no longer work under Mojave), better cooling in most cases over sleek design meaning less throttling and up until recently - Better hardware in many cases. Furthermore, when you consider SteamPlay/Proton and it's simplicity running many Windows titles and the fact that it's becoming obvious that in quite a few cases Linux has the ability to run certain titles faster than native Windows and you consider native gaming under Linux - There is now more titles available for Linux than MacOS.

Therefore Linux is now the second most desirable platform under Steam. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple's percentage under Steam is solely related to Apple users that Bootcamp Windows and just use Steam under MacOS to research their next purchase under their Windows partition or talk to mates via Steam Chat, as MacOS really isn't a great gaming platform considering the outlay.

I am glad I did not need to resort to a full OS re-install.

Any sites other then Speedtest.Net to recommend? My old stand-by Speedof.me doesnt seem to keep up at near GB throughput.

I wish I had this issue...

[...Looks at 50Mbps download speed and feels all sad knowing it's the fastest I can get at this point in time.]

I decided to see if updating the Intel NIC drivers for the system in my sig would make any difference.. Well, it did, but it was slower than the ones that came from MS. The ones from MS are dated 2018. The newest ones from Intel that support my specific NIC chip is the 23.4 version. But instyead of a 2018 date on the ones from Intel.. the installer put a driver from 2016 on there.

Either way, the onboard Realtek NIC is faster than the onboard Intel NIC.

I'm also surprised that nobody suggested doing a:
netsh int ip reset

from an admin command prompt in order to reset the TCP/IP stack and then reboot. Or at least I didn't see it.

That right there would probably have fixed it.

Before my move here - from about 2 miles away - the best I could get was 120.

It is really random what speed is available in what location. I have a friend in the Bay Area stuck at 80.

Fast.com is kinda decent

Fast.com (powered by Netflix) shows my download speed at 790Mbps.

Speedtest.net (The web site is a bit slower than the Windows 10 app) only shows about 620Mbps.

All that tells me is that the Netflix servers are a lot faster than the servers that Speedtest.net connects to.

I am "only" supposed to be getting 500Mbps I think.

Fast.com (powered by Netflix) shows my download speed at 790Mbps.

Speedtest.net (The web site is a bit slower than the Windows 10 app) only shows about 620Mbps.

All that tells me is that the Netflix servers are a lot faster than the servers that Speedtest.net connects to.

I am "only" supposed to be getting 500Mbps I think.

Fast servers arent reliable eather what i think... atleast when i do fast test i get more speed in that test than routers speed graphics shows and i think those speed graphs are more reliable than fast test.. i wouldnt trust fast eather..

I see fast and speedtest both have options for doing multiple data streams down. This would help eliminate some of the internet variability (IMO) if they are coming from different servers. My Fast speed got a bit better when I set it to 8-16 rather then the default 1-8 (I Think).

It is not uncommon for cable providers to over provision consumer download speeds.

When I had:
Charter 50, I usually got 60-62
Charter 100, I got around 120.
Charter 980, I get 780-980 depending on the day etc. Lately speedtest (if it can be trusted) is pretty stable around 940.

The question, now that my other problem is fixed, do I bother trying to break the 1 gig barrier. The cable tech measured me at 1.2 gb at the box.

How do I effectively measure that when my Ethernet is capped at 1 gb? I have a cable modem that will bond two ethernet connections to my router.

Can do much better if any port in modem and pc is just 1gbit.. modem needs higher output rj45 slot and so does pc if isnt already :D

Just wanted to share that it is absolutely Hamachi that messes up some registry setting. I did a fresh win 10 install after I couldn't figure out why my download speed went down to 200 from 600. That fixed it but as soon as I installed Hamachi again, sure enough the speeds went down to 200 again. TCP Optimizer fixes the problem without an OS reinstall though.

The LMI help team got really pissy when I emailed them asking for help too.

Back