Windows boot manager borked, win10

travm

2[H]4U
I have 3 HDD's in my PC, 2 have bootable windows installations. One i quit using for a long convoluted reason. Basically I bought a new larger SSD and wanted windows in it, but too lazy to uninstall the windows on the other HDD (sorting through downloads and user documents and shit, just didnt want to do it, didnt need to).
Had a power outage, and then when power comes back it wont boot automatically to the correct installation. I can pick it manually by pressing f12 on boot. But if i set the boot order to only include the correct HDD, it wont boot at all, says something like, please select a valid boot media, press any key. Makes no sense at all.
Then if i go into startup in control panel, I can select limited boot, and it will boot (without audio or graphics drivers).... change it back to normal start-up, back to only wants to boot from wrong drive.
For the last 2 weeks I've been f12 booting every day.
Any thoughts?
I'm likely going to download new installation media and try a startup repair later this week.

Patriot blast sata SSD x 2
1 seagate 500gb SATA HDD
gigabyte AX370 Gaming
Ryzen 5 1600
2x 3200mhz FlareX 8gb (16gb)

I've seen it before where the boot manager ends up on a different drive than the OS you actually boot off of. What I suspect is that even though your active Windows installation is on the SSD the main boot manager is on the original drive.

I've seen it before where the boot manager ends up on a different drive than the OS you actually boot off of. What I suspect is that even though your active Windows installation is on the SSD the main boot manager is on the original drive.
This is actually what I expect also.
Once upon a time i would have Grub installed for dual booting and said screw WBM, but... I haven't dual booted in years.
I would really like to say - reinstall WBM on the drive i want to be on, but not really sure where to start with that. More googling may be necessary.

You might be able to fix it by disconnecting the old drive, boot off of a Windows installation USB, go through the menus, and select boot repair. Theoretically it would install the boot manager on the SSD and remove any dependency with the original drive.
I would highly suggest backing everything up on the SSD though just in case Windows decides to hose the drive.

You might be able to fix it by disconnecting the old drive, boot off of a Windows installation USB, go through the menus, and select boot repair. Theoretically it would install the boot manager on the SSD and remove any dependency with the original drive.
I would highly suggest backing everything up on the SSD though just in case Windows decides to hose the drive.
I wonder what happens when I reconnect that drive...
I likely should just back everything up and wipe all the drives.

Normally I wipe the original drive once I am sure I have a working OS. That way you don't have to worry about conflicts. Then I use it as backup space or extra storage.

Back