Windows backup doesn't see a drive???

pwrusr

2[H]4U
I can't figure out how to get windows to see the big ol' 2TB drive so that I can use it for backing up with...

where%27s%20the%20big%20drive.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Is your page file on that drive?
Did you purposely misspell Machines?

Per Windows Help:

When you choose a destination to save your backup to, the wizard searches your computer and displays a list of all destinations that you can use. If the destination that you want to use doesn't appear in the list, it could be due to one of the following reasons:
  • The destination is a tape drive. You can't save backups to tapes.
  • The destination is the drive that you're trying to back up. You can't back up a disk to itself. For example, you can't back up the contents of Drive E: to Drive E:.
  • The destination is a CD-ROM drive or a DVD drive. You can't use a CD drive or a DVD drive to make a backup; you must use a CD or DVD burner, also known as a CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW drive.
  • The destination isn't formatted as NTFS, FAT, or Universal Disk Format (UDF) (also called Live File System). Backups can only be saved to disks that are formatted using the NTFS, FAT, or UDF file systems. For more information, see Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format.
  • The destination is either the drive that Windows is installed on or the system drive (the drive that Windows uses to start your computer—also called the startup drive).
  • The destination is a recovery partition. This is a special partition created by your computer manufacturer that contains files and tools that you can use to return your computer to the manufacturer's settings if it stops working correctly.
  • The destination is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. If the drive is encrypted using BitLocker, it must be unlocked before you can store a backup on it.

Crap, I just noticed that misspelling :eek:
The page file is whatever the defult would be... I'm pretty sure it's on the c drive.

Everything seems to check out from that guide. I'll go through that list again and see if I missed anything...

Since it's not a tape or ODD...
The destination isn't formatted as NTFS, FAT, or Universal Disk Format (UDF) (also called Live File System). Backups can only be saved to disks that are formatted using the NTFS, FAT, or UDF file systems. For more information, see Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format.
It's NTFS formatted with this install of windows 7.

The destination is either the drive that Windows is installed on or the system drive (the drive that Windows uses to start your computer—also called the startup drive).
Nope, this drive has always been used as storage. I was able to do a windows backup to it at one point, now windows doesn't want to backup to the drive :confused:

The destination is a recovery partition. This is a special partition created by your computer manufacturer that contains files and tools that you can use to return your computer to the manufacturer's settings if it stops working correctly.
Again, no... this is a retail copy of windows 7 pro. No OEM backup image/drive.

The destination is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. If the drive is encrypted using BitLocker, it must be unlocked before you can store a backup on it.
Nope, bitlocker isn't even a feature in win7pro. Even if it was I would have no reason to encrypt this drive.

Good ole windows format + reinstall always works. Don't know where you ppl find the time.

I had a 300GB WD Velociraptor before. Finally got on the SSD bandwagon and did a fresh install vs. imaging the drive over. :cool:

Awwwwww! I spoke too soon :(

My 2TB drive went bye bye again :mad:
drive%20went%20bye%20bye%20again.png

Anyone have any ideas on this issue?

Pull the drive. Put it in a USB enclosure. Backup, profit?

There was a patch at one time that fixed an issue with Windows Server backup and large drive sizes, it may have also applied to Win 7 client side.

I suggest you search. I don't think the patch was pushed through Winupdates because of its unique needs. Might want to Googlefu

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I needed to do a windows restore using the image.

Back