Windows Back And Restore "an internal error occurred shile enumerating backup sets"

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I am trying to perform a complete system image restore from a network share but after i enter the credentials i get this error, "an internal error occurred shile enumerating backup sets” has anyone run into this before? I cant figure out what the problem is:confused:

Win7

I moved the files to a different share by themselves and it worked.

I had two computers backed up to the same share folder. I am going to try putting each computer in their own folders and see if that works. I see no mention of having to separate the files for each machine.

I am talking about the actual folder you choose to backup to. I setup a shared folder called backup and used backup and restore to backup two of my computers to that folder. The backup worked but when i went to do a system restore it would give me strange errors like "an internal error occurred shile enumerating backup sets”.

I changed it so that within the shared folder I have another folder for each computer where each machines files from backup and restore are now stored. Now everything works fine when i try to do a restore, i just have to point to that folder for the machine i want to restore.

Also i figure out that if you use the same user name on each computer (this is a workgroup) you get similar problems. I had to create a new user account on one of the machines and use that account in the backup and restore options for the permissions on the shared folder.

Why the following doesn't work is beyond me...

*Server 2008 R2 is set to back up to a local (e.g., physically attached) F: drive which is shared on the network as \\Server\Backups\
*Client Win7, on the same network, is set to back up to \\Server\Backups\
=This results in the creation of two folders within "F:\WindowsImageBackup." All would appear well but when attempting to restore from a recovery CD I receive the message "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets."

However, as posted above the following works...

*Server 2008 R2 is set to back up to \\Server\Backups\1 (I have to use a network location as you cannot select a directory, only a drive, when selecting a HD as a back up destination)
*Client Win7, on the same network, is set to back up to \\Server\Backups\2
=I don't receive the "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets" message when attempting to restore.

What I also don't understand is why the following doesn't work...

*Server 2008 R2 is set to back up to a local (e.g., physically attached) F: drive which results in the creation of "F:\WindowsImageBackup"
*Client Win7, on the same network, is set to back up to \\Server\Backups\1
=When attempting to restore from a recovery CD I receive the message "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets."

This is ridiculous.

Also i figure out that if you use the same user name on each computer (this is a workgroup) you get similar problems. I had to create a new user account on one of the machines and use that account in the backup and restore options for the permissions on the shared folder.

Luckily I don't have this issue. I'm using a WG - no domain.

Last edited:
Back