Windows activation question

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok. So I;m gonna format my aunts comp using her restore cd. But after I formated and reintsalled the os it never asked for a cd key. I used a cd that said its for distribution with a hp or a compac pc. SOOoooo I used a cd key changer and took the key off the side of her case and actived it. Now she is thinking about upgrading to a bigger hard drive soon. Do I use her same information (name address) to activate it when I put the bigger hard drive in?

Love STAN ur biggest fan

Ron1jed said:
Ok. So I;m gonna format my aunts comp using her restore cd. But after I formated and reintsalled the os it never asked for a cd key. I used a cd that said its for distribution with a hp or a compac pc. SOOoooo I used a cd key changer and took the key off the side of her case and actived it. Now she is thinking about upgrading to a bigger hard drive soon. Do I use her same information (name address) to activate it when I put the bigger hard drive in?

Love STAN ur biggest fan

Why did you change the key when you restored from a factory CD? Chances are the install was preactivated at the factory and does not require you to activate it.

Registration is *optional*, there is nothing requireing you to submit personal information if you don't want to.

Once you get a bigger hard drive, you can either ghost it, or use the factory CD with the new HDD and start fresh again.

I doubt that it will make you, but even if it does, you shouldn't have any problem reactivating it. They only give you trouble if you use the same number to try to activate many many times. (I read a story recently of a guy who was constantly changing his system and calling to reactivate, finally the guy on the phone wouldn't do it, so he bitched and got a supervisor. The supervisor gave him a new reg# to use for free)

I wouldn't worry too much. :)

workingnonstop said:
I doubt that it will make you, but even if it does, you shouldn't have any problem reactivating it. They only give you trouble if you use the same number to try to activate many many times. (I read a story recently of a guy who was constantly changing his system and calling to reactivate, finally the guy on the phone wouldn't do it, so he bitched and got a supervisor. The supervisor gave him a new reg# to use for free)

I wouldn't worry too much. :)

lol read the same thread..
:p

lol...2 times and my cd key don't work now. Sucks. I got it OEM and installed it on one comp. The mobo died...got a new shuttle. Had to call that time. Then I switched out my CD-RW for a DVD to install something and had to activate again. But of course...my key didn't work that time. So i had to use the key from my inspiron 8200. geez...i mean adding a few components is one thing but switching one out just to put back when you're done is bs.

Back