Windows Activation Problem

Burn23

Gawd
OK, so I just bought a new processor, video card, and more memory for my HTPC that is running XP Pro. I try to reinstall XP and the Activation fails... WTF!!

So, what am i going to do now?
Do I need to re-purchase it?
Why all the hassle? Maybe I should just use Linux out there too.

Changes:
XP1700 -> XP2500
2x256 Generic PC2700 -> 2x512 Corsair 3200
Radeon 7500 -> 9600
and included an 8x LiteOn DVDRW

That doesn't seem like too drastic of a change for it to throw a fit... does it?

Do what Tim said call the number they provided and follow the on screen directions that you had to see if it wasn't activating. It takes 2mins and you're done.

-Tron

what a pain in the ass... one more reason to leave M$ all behind. F-it! im installing linux.

Originally posted by Burn23
what a pain in the ass... one more reason to leave M$ all behind. F-it! im installing linux.

Send me your CD key i'll pay shipping.

-Tron

I have to call them everytime I reformat. I have done it too many times obviously. It isn't that much of a hassle, and their tech support can speak good english unlike most.

Originally posted by Burn23
:rolleyes:

Oh! Got to punch some numbers, and talk to a real person, oh the humanity!:rolleyes:

Anyway, just call them. Its easy, and they do speak english like someone mentioned above.

What is wrong with people these days?:rolleyes:

No Offence.;)

Originally posted by Phantum
Corporate Keys rock. I never have to activate.
that sounds kosher... :rolleyes:

i've never had to call to activate my copy, should i consider myself lucky or is it just there's plenty of time between my reinstalls on my computer (or since i started using ghost)?

Originally posted by tim
i've never had to call to activate my copy, should i consider myself lucky or is it just there's plenty of time between my reinstalls on my computer (or since i started using ghost)?

I think it is more of a crapshoot with your install disc, cause I have had to reactivate with a simple addition of a DVD-ROM drive. Had to call cause it said that my system had changed to much. Go figure. Had to reactivate each time I do a reinstall even if my system has NOT changed. Go figure.

No bother to me though.

I was having a problem activating and updating windows xp on the comp I put together for my brothers... Turns out the year was set to 2002 when it should have been 2003.

Originally posted by Phantum
Corporate Keys rock. I never have to activate.

I hope that is for a copy your work gave you to use at home, if not, don't discuss that stuff here. At all.

Like Tron said, XP activation is a piece of cake. People make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is. If you can't activate over the net, just call. Simple procedure.

Back