Windows A.D. vs Samba

scotty do

Limp Gawd
I'm not 100% sure what the benefits of AD are. Can anyone explain the advantages of running Windows 2000/2003 Server over Samba as a PDC?

DragonNOA1 said:
Centralized Administration, clear and simple (not always simple to do, but simple to say, hahe)
Huh, i'm no expert on Samba (nor AD for that matter), but what's so decentralized about Samba??
And i think the clear and simple attributes could be argued about well too.

You are comparing apples to oranges...
AD is an x.500 directory database; used to create a database of network objects and network resources with a centralized point of administration

I would investigate Active Directory vs OpenLDAP vs Novell's eDirectory/NDS...

Window's File and Print sharing vs Samba is a good debate...

ok, so active directory does basically what openLDAP does? centralizes all user information?

Does Samba offer more features than Windows file and print sharing?

such as username/password separate of the OS, different bandwidth limits per account and for the entier server?

Still allow users to execute application directly from the share? I'm a linux noob but soon to be setting up a small home server for music and documents and some storage, also probably VPN support so I can connect to my home network from the office.

yes with samba you can setup user accounts and such and have all that information stored elsewhere. there a lot you can do with samba. im not sure about limiting bandwidth, but im sure its possible. i would investigate samba through a google search. its fun to play with, though i have only done basic file sharing. (printer is on the way for a network printer, but from what i understand CUPS is pretty easy to use). all in all theres tons of information on Samba and there are tons of books on it too.

good luck

your comparing samba to AD. Thats apples to baseballs. They are desgined for two diffrent things. now AD vs OpenLDAP or SAMBA vs DFS/FRS then compare away. If your using windows XP for your workstation OS. You sdhould be running AD it has the best features and managment for desktops running XP. If your running linux on the desktop run OpenLDAP.

I have setup Samba to use AD accounts for permssions. I just don't get why your comparing a dicrectory service to a share service. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Like I originally said, I don't know what A.D. is. This had been cleared up earlier. I then asked if it was similar to OpenLDAP. Thanks for clearing everything up guys.

Back