Windows 98 bootup error problem

laz

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to install Windows 98 onto a Toshiba Satellite 2805 S201 that was originaly shipped with Windows ME, so the driver disk that was shipped does not have full support for win 98.

During the initial startup of the computer, there is an error message along the lines of "windows can not find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application" and lists a files "vredir.vxd", then "dfs.vxd" is displayed with the same message after you have pressed any key to continue the bootup.

Then once windows explorer is loaded an error box is displayed saying that it was unable to load "msnp32.dll"

I need to know how to fix these so I can return the computer to its owner. I have already searches toshiba's website for windows 98 drivers for the computer, and have installed all that I could find. I also have windows 98 updated with all the latest patches.
I am at a loss as to what to do to solve this.

I have seen these errors before on a 98 machine. its been a while since I have fixed it but it is possible. What I used to do was search the registry (assuming you can get into windows) and remove the key that was pointing to those specific files. that almost always fixed those type of issues. make sure of course to back the registry up before doing all this should something bad happen.

Go start>run> sfc

Then click on the area that says replace single file on the first page. Put in the files you listed and it will extract them from your 98 disk.

Then I would run a full file check and replace any bad ones it finds.

Back