Windows 95 is 25 Years Old Today!!!

I never liked the whole cable select function but most pre-builts used it so this was also the default jumper position on most cd-rom drives as well as hard drives
The tech industry is moving away from the master & slave termology as it seem it offended some people I wonder what classic commonly used term is next LoL!
Virtue-Signaling aside, I never thought the "Master/Slave" labels made much sense anyway. It was the IDE controller that told both/all drives what to do, and the Slave drive never really took any cues from the Master drive. It should have really been House-Slave drive and Field-Slave drive, maybe in this backwards current world, that would be less "offensive".

Virtue-Signaling aside, I never thought the "Master/Slave" labels made much sense anyway. It was the IDE controller that told both/all drives what to do, and the Slave drive never really took any cues from the Master drive. It should have really been House-Slave drive and Field-Slave drive, maybe in this backwards current world, that would be less "offensive".
Yeah, for that use, first and second would've made more sense. OTOH none of the other replacement terms I've heard are really accurate, which is its own problem.

Yes Primary IDE & Secondary IDE also
Also SATA drives are also technically IDE as IDE means "Integrated Drive Electronics" which all drives have now. Parallel-ATA or Serial-ATA is the proper term but to most they are SATA (say-ta) or just IDE.

Well I do know if you had an ATA-133 drive and a CD-rom that was slower the whole channel (Primary or Secondary) would drop to the slowest device on the chain the CD-rom in this case.

Reactions: Nside
like this
Also SATA drives are also technically IDE as IDE means "Integrated Drive Electronics" which all drives have now. Parallel-ATA or Serial-ATA is the proper term but to most they are SATA (say-ta) or just IDE.

Well I do know if you had an ATA-133 drive and a CD-rom that was slower the whole channel (Primary or Secondary) would drop to the slowest device on the chain the CD-rom in this case.
Yeah, but the 40-pin PATA physical connector has been synonymous with the IDE protocol for so long, it's more commonly referred to as IDE than PATA. It's just easier to say IDE, everyone knows what you're talking about.
Just like most people (and Windows) refer to 1024 bytes as a "Kilobyte" instead of the technically correct "Kibibyte"... If you walk into Best buy or even a Microcenter and say "I'm looking for 16 Gibibytes of DDR4" they'll think you have a speech impediment.

Also, Non-RAID SATA drives should be using the AHCI mode unless there's a specific reason they need to be using IDE mode. Like installing an old OS on newer hardware or something.

Primary and secondary (and tertiary and quaternary) referred to the host bus adapters (HBAs, aka controllers) that provided the (E)IDE interfaces. So you had a primary master, primary slave, secondary master, and secondary slave.

The HBA didn't actually do anything other than direct commands to the drives they were meant for.

IDE could allow one device to communicate at a time. When using a CD-ROM, the hard drive and optical had to take turns sending data. Made installations particularly painful.

This was one of the primary advantages (to regular consumers) of SCSI. Multiple drives could access the bus at the same time.

But thankfully we don’t even have to think of this stuff anymore.

IDE could allow one device to communicate at a time. When using a CD-ROM, the hard drive and optical had to take turns sending data. Made installations particularly painful.

This was one of the primary advantages (to regular consumers) of SCSI. Multiple drives could access the bus at the same time.

But thankfully we don’t even have to think of this stuff anymore.
Most motherboards/interface cards had two IDE channels. So as long as you put the optical drive on a separate channel from the hdd, this wasn’t a problem.

SCSI devices still had to wait for the bus to be free to transfer data, but bus management was so much better than IDE (as in, it actually had it) that optical drives, printers, and scanners didn’t have such a severe performance impact on things like hdds and network devices, so long as you set up the device IDs appropriately.

Most motherboards/interface cards had two IDE channels. So as long as you put the optical drive on a separate channel from the hdd, this wasn’t a problem.

SCSI devices still had to wait for the bus to be free to transfer data, but bus management was so much better than IDE (as in, it actually had it) that optical drives, printers, and scanners didn’t have such a severe performance impact on things like hdds and network devices, so long as you set up the device IDs appropriately.
you sir are correct. as for SCSI NT loved those controllers due to native command queing...

Last edited:
Ah yes I remember that day so clearly. I remember the day it launched I was at the beach thinking about it all day. I had just got a Packard Bell Force 840CD - a blazing Pentium 100MHz, 8MB of ram, and a 2X CD-ROM drive lol. I would eventually upgrade it using the Intel Pentium Overdrive 166MHz chip so it could run Quake 2 smoothly, which it still could not lol. Good times.

Ah yes I remember that day so clearly. I remember the day it launched I was at the beach thinking about it all day. I had just got a Packard Bell Force 840CD - a blazing Pentium 100MHz, 8MB of ram, and a 2X CD-ROM drive lol. I would eventually upgrade it using the Intel Pentium Overdrive 166MHz chip so it could run Quake 2 smoothly, which it still could not lol. Good times.
I got an old Windows 95 CD-ROM it has a music video of Weezer Buddy Holly! I remember that song when it was on the radio.

Win 95 sp1 just turned 25 on 2/14. I remember working at a computer shop with a “shop cd” with the service pack on it. Easier than downloading it, even over the shop t1.

Did you try the fish? :-P
? The group Phish? Yes I liked some of their songs and also Toad The Wet Sprocket I saw a performance live sometime in the 1990's at some club in Hamden Connecticut my Father got me and a few teenage friends of mine fake ID's (Yes my Father he was my "role" model) My name was Brian McGee

I wonder what ever became of these 1990's artists my favorite 2000's group is 3 Doors Down! Their last album was 2008 I think unless they made new songs for their 2012 greatest Hits albums as I have that and never heard some of those tracks before.

What most poeple from the eara was missing is the fact that master meant as a kind of termination on the signal. just lie on scsi you had a termination point. but in IDE they just called it master slave.
that was laso why som people had piss poor performance on second disk or cd-rom drive or just intermitten issue because they put the master in the cable closes to the mothboard and thereby terminated incorrectly.
for optimal signal you always needed to put the master at the end of the cable having the slave in between however.

THis is also why cable Select worked great for some peopel but miserable for other. cayse peopel though it did some kind of smart autodetcting but in reality it just saw if it was the closes or furthest devices on the cable and selected master*slave accordingly to that. but peole had a tendync to set the hardddrive cloes to the motherboard and selected mastern. then on with the next driver on the furthest position and just keep it as CS. but that positoon is master making both drivers sitting as master and messing things up..

but putting both driver on as CS offcause worked cause now the MSTER/SLAVE dedicationg was set correctly by the position on the cable.

in short: not knowin gho things work edned up blaiming the technology rather than their lack of understanding it... nothing new there
same thing happende with PnP technolgy. the popel that made the most fun of it and said it did work was people that did not have PnP compatible devices but just didnt know it.

and yeah maybe master/slave was not really the optimal name for what was really going on

Last edited:
? The group Phish? Yes I liked some of their songs and also Toad The Wet Sprocket I saw a performance live sometime in the 1990's at some club in Hamden Connecticut my Father got me and a few teenage friends of mine fake ID's (Yes my Father he was my "role" model) My name was Brian McGee

I wonder what ever became of these 1990's artists my favorite 2000's group is 3 Doors Down! Their last album was 2008 I think unless they made new songs for their 2012 greatest Hits albums as I have that and never heard some of those tracks before.
Haha no, from the Weezer video...

:-D

Back