Windows 95 internet angst!

SoSmooth

Gawd
help i just got this computer free from a friend. I'm going to try and set it up as a internet only computer for my little brother so he doesn't have to use mine. I just installed a network card in it now i have no idea how to get it on the net...i plugged it into the router and such already but besides that bleh...anyone have like a step by step guide or something easy to explain to me?

Thanks...

I know windows me makes network setup disks that you can use on windows 95, I'd try that and configure it to connect to the internet through lan

Ummm.... not much you should have to do. Go to control panel and doulbe click on network. Set the tcp/Ip properties to get IP address and DNS info automatically and it should get it from the router andyou'er done.

If its a fairly fresh win95 install you might have to get internet explorer for it, ie5.5 sp2 is the last version of IE that runs on 95, microsoft doesnt distribute it before, but it can be found many places like office 2000 cds.

set the IP and DNS to be automatic, reboot...

check the IP address.

start->run->winipcfg, from the white drop down, select your NIC card, if the IP is 192.x.x.x then it's seing the router, if it's a 169, it's not, powercycle the router, and modem (might as well)...which means unplug them from the power, leave them off for like 1 minute, then plug them in and restart both pc's, check IP address again...and post it here telling us what your IP address is...

Back