Windows 9 demo video close your eyes

well its not that hard to offer a different GUI for each kind of user group upfront. Like they got their profesional, home and ultimate edition. Its possible to do the same with GUIs.
No, I don't think it would be that difficult. I'm just not sure the value proposition is all that compelling. Though Linux has obvious sets of advantages in terms of being able to stick any GUI atop it, there's also value to be had from every Windows system (of the same version, anyway) being the same, with changes between minor releases being fairly small in scope. On the flip side, there's a lot more malleability on Linux in terms of being able to use the same GUIs largely regardless of kernel version.

I'd like to see some deeper customization options for what they have already (why can't I choose my own tile backgrounds, colors and so forth?), and they really need to decide soon what they're going to do about the aesthetic divergence between "Modern" and the desktop, but there's nothing here that's really a deal-breaker.

If Linux can do that for free , i dont see the point MS cant.
Because Microsoft pays their developers.

Linux users, which constitutes less than 2% of desktop OS users. And who is crying foul about choices?

Win8 users? Only a small percentile on this planet are members of Mensa. Is that a handicap in your opinion?

No, I don't think it would be that difficult. I'm just not sure the value proposition is all that compelling. Though Linux has obvious sets of advantages in terms of being able to stick any GUI atop it, there's also value to be had from every Windows system (of the same version, anyway) being the same, with changes between minor releases being fairly small in scope. On the flip side, there's a lot more malleability on Linux in terms of being able to use the same GUIs largely regardless of kernel version.

I'd like to see some deeper customization options for what they have already (why can't I choose my own tile backgrounds, colors and so forth?), and they really need to decide soon what they're going to do about the aesthetic divergence between "Modern" and the desktop, but there's nothing here that's really a deal-breaker.

Because Microsoft pays their developers.

That brings up an interesting point. It is far easier to do tech support if everything is arranged the same way. Those who add on extra stuff tend to know what they're doing anyways.

OP's video is exactly what people claim to want: a Windows 7 style start menu.

No more excuses.

My expectation must be very low, because I find it's not THAT bad. I don't really like it, but it seems much more usable than 8. Just need to get rid of all the adware bull crap. As long as that ability remains it wont be too bad.

I hope there's a way to go back to Windows classic though.

Really, MS has to seriously back track and go to a XP or 7 style UI (with classic mode), and stick with it. Stop changing stuff just for the sake of change.

OP's video is exactly what people claim to want: a Windows 7 style start menu.

No more excuses.
And I think, for most users, this will work. Oh, they may grumble about how it *looks*, but how it behaves is close enough to 7/xp that I think we'll see a much more enthusiastic uptake of 9 than we might ever see of 8.

Why can't the haters stop whining in every thread? Just run Win 7 in classic mode and shut up!!

Honestly its getting to be a bit much hearing the same endless complaints for >2 years now, and with Win 9 they'll just find something new to complain about.

Why can't the haters stop whining in every thread?

How about the windows 8 fanboys/lovers?

To me those who call the people who don't like the new inteface haters assume that only a few indiviudals do not like the new interface and not the majority of the people.

Last edited:
How about the windows 8 fanboys?

To me the fanboys assume that only a few indiviudals do not like the new interface and not the majority of the people.

The best thing about the fanbois is that they installed tons of mods and stuff to make it more like 7 and say "windows 8 is fine". The point of the windows 8 hate is that it's completely unusable as is.

9 seems to address the usability issue by bringing back the start menu, so that is a very good start. I just hope they get rid of all the mouse gesture and hidden menu crap. They need to consider that sometimes operating systems are used inside VMs, or remoted into, and the stuff they did with 8 makes that very terrible to use especially in those situations. Though, not having used 8 myself I'm only basing that off some videos that I've seen of it, I don't know if it's really as bad as they showed, such as the weather app randomly showing up because you moved your mouse a certain way.

Good video on windows 8's terrible design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

Microsoft needs to watch that if they have not.

I have posted *plenty* of times about Windows 8 shortcomings, and I've been using it since it was unveiled at PDC. So I'm well aware of how the complaints started and the level of hatred in the general public.

The point is enough is enough. Carrying over this same irrational hatred into WIndows 9 while keeping a closed mind is stupid. There's a big group of people to whom the only acceptable solution is to kill Metro, kill WinRT, and have the exact same start menu as in WIn 7. They will keep whining as loudly as they can, which is just not reasonable.

Why can't the haters stop whining in every thread? Just run Win 7 in classic mode and shut up!!

Thank you for proving everyone's point how user choice is good and removing options is bad with that example :)

Thank you for proving everyone's point how user choice is good and removing options is bad with that example :)

You have plenty of choices.

Use Windows 7.
Use Windows 8.
Use Windows 9.
Use another non-Windows OS.

What was the experiment on windows vista?

Using the system resources more wisely, i like Vista, had no issues with it. Also the Aero look from the flat XP look.

Too much change for people so it failed,same as Windows 8. People find 1 thing wrong and then say the entire thing is crap

Use Windows 7.
Use Windows 8.
Use Windows 9.

OS support ends in 2 years after the release of the next one. So win7 is already nearing EOL.

No. Extended support for Windows 7 runs through 2020.

If you enjoy Windows 7, keep using Windows 7. You have another five years to decide what to do. And, thankfully, 7 doesn't have XP's security model, so you aren't dead in the water come January 14, 2020. You can safely keep using it past that date.

EDIT: Actually, I may have misunderstood Microsoft's support lifecycle system. Is it correct that consumer 7 customers will no longer receive security updates after mainstream support ends?

OS support ends in 2 years after the release of the next one. So win7 is already nearing EOL.

This is not only false, it's wacko crackpot BS.

Windows 7 will not be EOL until 2020. Feature additions ("mainstream support") end in January 2015. Security patches and updates and tech support will continue until 2020. This means Windows 7 will have had 5 years of feature additions and 11 years of support.

MS isn't Apple. They actually support their older OS releases and newer OS's run better, unlike Apple which has planned obsolescence every year or so and no real engineering innovation or support.

MS isn't Apple. They actually support their older OS releases and newer OS's run better, unlike Apple which has planned obsolescence every year or so and no real engineering innovation or support.

What is it with you and FUD and off-topic crap?

Use Windows 7.
Use Windows 8.
Use Windows 9.

Ah, those choices? Market has spoken when you present them with only those choices. Spoken so loud that apparently even one version number of distance isn't enough for MS.

Back