Windows 9 demo video close your eyes

Yeah, that it works better on a tablet than the desktop calculator which is also there.

It's obvious people have showed that they hate a tablet desktop mix. Why don't they just call it quits and build a tablet OS already?

There are those that accurately point out that Android is currently the #1 OS in the world. And virtually every device Android runs on has a touch screen device. Bottom line, it's not enough for x86 Windows to be a keyboard and mouse oriented OS in the age where the worlds #1 OS runs on touch screens unless x86 Windows is to be relegated only to devices that "Dad uses for work." The situation is that simple and everyone that touts Android was the world's #1 OS only reinforces the case.

LOL that's a total fallacy. Tablets and phones are not a PC replacement. Android is practically non existent in the PC world.

There are those that accurately point out that Android is currently the #1 OS in the world. And virtually every device Android runs on has a touch screen device. Bottom line, it's not enough for x86 Windows to be a keyboard and mouse oriented OS in the age where the worlds #1 OS runs on touch screens unless x86 Windows is to be relegated only to devices that "Dad uses for work." The situation is that simple and everyone that touts Android was the world's #1 OS only reinforces the case.

Wow, seriously?! This is too much, even for a Microsoft knight.

It's obvious people have showed that they hate a tablet desktop mix. Why don't they just call it quits and build a tablet OS already?

From a desktop perspective, the majority of the complaints weren't about the mix but about how the desktop and modern elements were mixed leading to an unfamiliar UI that caused confusion for those familiar with the 20 years Windows Start Menu and floating windows paradigm. These issues have been resolved so that desktop users are always on the desktop and that touch and tablet users can have the full screen experience. Or desktop users can also have the full screen experience or that can mix them up with the Start Menu and pinned tiles. But if one doesn't want pinned tiles or modern apps, just unpin tiles and uninstall modern apps and don't use them.

The choice is there for everyone to work how they want. How is that a bad thing?

LOL that's a total fallacy. Tablets and phones are not a PC replacement. Android is practically non existent in the PC world.

Wow, seriously?! This is too much, even for a Microsoft knight.

It's interesting though no one will make these points with guys bring up Android being the #1 OS. Indeed IT journalism constantly brings up the point that Windows now only runs a fraction of computing devices. Of course all of those other devices are phones and tablets and not PCs but still the subject is constantly discussed.

I would personally fire the UI team myself if I was Nutella Satya good job rushing a OS with no character looks twice as bad as 8 does.

Man this sucks sorry but I tried might be good for someone who wants no borders on their windows and has Windows 8 tile sympathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE

That is awful.
They still act proud of the metro interface on a desktop and as mentioned, how can they think that calculator is nice?
They shrink the borders of items, nothing wrong with that but then waste HUGE amounts of screen estate with Fisher Price ugly blocks.

It is a toy OS.
If it remains anything like this, I'll stick with Windows 7.
No thanykou.

Modern/Metro UI has always been hideous. How MS managed to refine Win8's UI to make it even uglier is pretty amazing.
I'm surprised too!

Not sure why everyone is hating on Windows 9, it's still in very early development an actually looks better than Windows 8.1 :)

People always gonna hate.

Because its still horrible?
Read the thread from the start and keep reading.

It's interesting though no one will make these points with guys bring up Android being the #1 OS. Indeed IT journalism constantly brings up the point that Windows now only runs a fraction of computing devices. Of course all of those other devices are phones and tablets and not PCs but still the subject is constantly discussed.

You're wrong. I will make that point every time and will do untill I die.

They have a tablet OS. Windows Phone 8.1. It's just not a very good one that has much app support. :) Yep, that's what I run. One super plus is the accessibility. I can ready most things without putting on my reading glasses.

Most of us early adopters have already figured out how to workaround the bad desktop UI for 8.0/.1. They aren't changing it for us. They should think about that.

That is awful.
They still act proud of the metro interface on a desktop and as mentioned, how can they think that calculator is nice?
They shrink the borders of items, nothing wrong with that but then waste HUGE amounts of screen estate with Fisher Price ugly blocks.

It is a toy OS.
If it remains anything like this, I'll stick with Windows 7.
No thanykou.

It's a toy OS but will be able to run all of the same desktop apps as 7 in addition to being able to run touch and tablet apps?

calculators.png

This 8.1 Update 1 running ModernMix, approximating the windowed modern apps in 9. The old desktop is still there along with the included modern version, another modern calculator called Calculator Pro HD and Microsoft Math. Of course this is just a small sample, there's plenty of other calculators out there both desktop and modern.

Tons of choice, one is free to pick whatever works best for them. The pinning of tiles on the right is completely optional from what has been shown in these leaks. Again, choice. Not really sure why anyone is going to argue against more choice when people were bemoaning the lack of choice in 8.x.

I was impressed with 1 part of the video. The ability to add more tiles to the start menu and have it expand. There are a lot of live tiles that have useful information and are worth keeping. Now what would really impress me is if theyhave an option to have the live tiles pinned to the desktop behind your applications. Basically like widgets in vista.

That no one commented positively on the video I posted indicates to me that no one here really cares about productivity. For what use is power if not used productively?

That no one commented positively on the video I posted indicates to me that no one here really cares about productivity. For what use is power if not used productively?

I referenced the virtual desktop video earlier in another thread. And as you noticed, it pretty obvious that much of the opposition has nothing to do with legitimate concerns over productivity. That people are flipping out of the OPTION to have tiles on the Start Menu while ignoring a long requested and overdue feature that's totally desktop-centric doesn't seem rational if the concern is over desktop productivity.

It's a toy OS but will be able to run all of the same desktop apps as 7 in addition to being able to run touch and tablet apps?

Yes it looks like a minimalistic childs toy.
It looks crap.

Windows 7 runs everything I need and looks really nice.
If MS wants me to upgrade, they need to make it tenable.
And believe me, I want to use the latest OS, but not when it looks that awful.

MS have lost the plot if thats what they are releasing.
Fingers crossed, they will allow the Fisher Price look to be disabled without consequence and give us features that make it look nice.
But that is the problem, I need to hope, I have no faith in them, nor with you as their poster boy.

It is, of course, ugly as sin... but let's not kid ourselves here. All of the desktops and various other devices are suffering from what is clearly an era of idiotic design. History demonstrates that it happens sometimes. We're living through the bell-bottoms and afros days of UI design. You see it in OS X, it's in all of the Google stuff, just about all of the Linux DE developers have completely lost their minds.

And it's not just a visual ugliness, it's also a certain functional minimalism that makes it painful to do anything other than browse Facebook.

Virtual desktops are definitely a necessity. I have to give MS credit, they're adding some good stuff in and bringing their OS into the modern world. If they throw in focus-follows-mouse and de-uglify it a bit more, I might actually come back.

Yes it looks like a minimalistic childs toy.
It looks crap.

Windows 7 runs everything I need and looks really nice.
If MS wants me to upgrade, they need to make it tenable.
And believe me, I want to use the latest OS, but not when it looks that awful.

MS have lost the plot if thats what they are releasing.
Fingers crossed, they will allow the Fisher Price look to be disabled without consequence and give us features that make it look nice.
But that is the problem, I need to hope, I have no faith in them, nor with you as their poster boy.

The aesthetics are usually the last thing to be updated and the rumors are that are going to be major updates in this area. As is always the case with Windows, all of the design elements from the prior version get carried along and then the new stuff gets put in later. Whatever we're looking at from that perspective is going to change. Maybe for the worse in the opinion of some but this won't be it.

Functionally, I don't see any major issues thus far. The choice of the Start Menu, Start Screen or a mix of the two is there and that's exactly what needed to be done.

The aesthetics are usually the last thing to be updated and the rumors are that are going to be major updates in this area.

Yep, the aesthetics are the last thing to get updated.
When they released Windows 8, they stripped it of niceties and gave us Fisher Price instead
As I said I have no faith in MS or what you say, and with good foundation.

As is always the case with Windows, all of the design elements from the prior version get carried along and then the new stuff gets put in later. Whatever we're looking at from that perspective is going to change. Maybe for the worse in the opinion of some but this won't be it.

Functionally, I don't see any major issues thus far. The choice of the Start Menu, Start Screen or a mix of the two is there and that's exactly what needed to be done.

How can you lie so blatantly?
All the design elements didnt get carried forward from Win7 to Win8.
They not only stopped using some, they stripped the code out at the very last moment.

I have no care for what you see functionally.

Last edited:
How can you lie so blatantly?

In the first betas, yes all of the design elements DID get carried over from 7 to 8, including the Start Menu. That's how it has always worked with Windows development. The code base starts from the latest version, functionality is worked out and then most aesthetics and UI changes get added in later.

I have no care for what you see functionally.

It's not a matter of caring, I simply stated what was shown in these leaks. There's a Start Menu, titles can be optionally pinned and if one wants there's the Start Screen. It's a simple statement of fact of the functionality shown in these leaks. And it's pretty much the sum of what everyone was asking for. While many Windows 8 opponents think that everyone wanted the Start Menu back and for all of the modern stuff to simply go away on the desktop, that's just not the case. Some still want the Start Screen if only for touch devices. Some wanted to be able to mix modern elements with the desktop and run modern apps windowed.

In the first betas, yes all of the design elements DID get carried over from 7 to 8, including the Start Menu. That's how it has always worked with Windows development. The code base starts from the latest version, functionality is worked out and then aesthetics get added in later.
Pay attention, this is what I said
"When they released Windows 8, they stripped it of niceties and gave us Fisher Price instead"

It's not a matter of caring, I simply stated what was shown in these leaks. There's a Start Menu, titles can be optionally pinned and if one wants there's the Start Screen. It's a simple statement of fact of the functionality shown in these leaks. And it's pretty much the sum of what everyone was asking for. While many Windows 8 opponents think that everyone wanted the Start Menu back and for all of the modern stuff to simply go away on the desktop, that's just not the case. Some still want the Start Screen if only for touch devices. Some wanted to be able to mix modern elements with the desktop and run modern apps windowed.

You said
"As is always the case with Windows, all of the design elements from the prior version get carried along"
They didnt, you blatantly lied about it.
You can confirm by going up a few posts.

You'd think at least one designer at Microsoft would be smart enough to say in a meeting "hey, lets try something different then a flat square Easter theme for the UI"!

You said
"As is always the case with Windows, all of the design elements from the prior version get carried along"
They didnt, you blatantly lied about it.
You can confirm by going up a few posts.

That's NOT what I said.

As is always the case with Windows, all of the design elements from the prior version get carried along and then the new stuff gets put in later.
And I went on to give as an example of the development process of 8 where the first builds HAD the Start Menu and that was changed later.

You'd think at least one designer at Microsoft would be smart enough to say in a meeting "hey, lets try something different then a flat square Easter theme for the UI"!

I kind of wonder if someone did. Or if Sinofski was similar to Jobs in that he was an asshole and it was his way or fuck you.

I think with the new start menu and all that, they have to ride it out. Damage control, but they can't really get rid of it completely...

That's NOT what I said.
It was a copy paste :p
And it wasnt out of context because it is an untruth no matter how you want to play it.

And I went on to give as an example of the development process of 8 where the first builds HAD the Start Menu and that was changed later.
It doesnt change what was released
You blatantly and deliberately misled.
Even after the changes, Windows 8.1 was rejected.

It doesnt change what was released
You blatantly and deliberately misled.
Even after the changes, Windows 8.1 was rejected.

What are you talking about? I was talking about the development process and I stand by what I said because it's the truth. There's no point in discussing this subject further as it's only filling up this thread with nonsense and leading to you and I getting banned.

What are you talking about? I was talking about the development process and I stand by what I said because it's the truth.

You answered me in the first place and what you said wasnt true.
Then you tried to steer the conversation away from your deception.

There's no point in discussing this subject further as it's only filling up this thread with nonsense and leading to you and I getting banned.
I agree, I've said what I wanted.
There was no need for you.

Whatever the case, the point to keep in mind is that new versions of Windows start off with the latest production version code base with the aesthetics and UI as is, functional changes are started first, the early builds retain the old UI, the public betas generally start off with the old UI with and then later the new aesthetics and UI changes are added in. This is just how it has almost always worked.

That doesnt help at all.
This thread is about what is wrong with Windows and what we would like.
Then you try and steer it into a different argument and make things up in the process.
If you do it again, I'll report your post.

What would you report him for?

I think there are questions being asked at Microsoft as to what people actually want, and I think these questions are being asked because their dissatisfied customers don't actually know what they want. They're doing what they think customers want within the confines of the design path they've started down on. I'm the last guy to give Microsoft credit for things, but they're actually doing a good job taking what was broken and what wasn't wanted, adding features to help bridge the gap and iterating — fairly quickly for a large software company — on what they have already. They're making careless mistakes in the process, but that's a Microsoft trademark, and none are all that severe.

I get the sense, though, that all you really care about is Aero. And all I can say is: don't wait up for it. Either get used to Metro or stay on Windows 7. They're supporting it for another four years or so, so you don't have a whole hell of a lot to lose here.

That doesnt help at all.
This thread is about what is wrong with Windows and what we would like.
Then you try and steer it into a different argument.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to make judgments of a UI that's clearly just been cloned from 8.1 and is going to change. And if rumors are true, change fairly dramatically.

I think the thing that most important at this point are the functional pieces as those probably are kind of how things will work though without question there will be some changes even there. I think the Start system is pretty much on the money as it offers a lot of choice and doesn't force anything. The two things I think need to be there are first, a way to pin conventional static shortcuts on the right in addition to tiles. And second being able to switch between the Start Screen and Start Menu needs to be done on the fly without logging out. While this second issue want matter much to desktop-only users, it would be a big deal to tablet/hybrid users.

I've tried to keep an open mind about Windows 8 and what needed to change. As much as I get called a Windows 8 white knight, I've constantly said that the modern UI needed to be better integrated into the desktop and that the desktop environment needed to be more familiar to traditional Windows users. But I've also said that Windows can't just be a desktop OS, that's not enough for a general purpose OS. I understand that there is a LOT of resistance to the idea of a hybrid OS many feel that adding tablet and touch elements to a desktop OS impede on each other. I disagree as long as it's done in a proper manner.

Windows 8 wasn't that proper manner. Windows 8.1 Update 1 was better but still missed the mark with familiarity to desktop users. What these leaks show I think is very much in the direction of getting the hybrid execution good enough so that both desktop users and tablet users will be happy. But there are going to be those desktop users that simply can't deal even with just the OPTION of have tiles and modern apps on the desktop. But if those things are truly optional, then what does it matter?

Windows 8 opponents were right about the issue of choice. But that goes not only for desktop users having what they want but also touch and tablet users. At this point I don't see how Microsoft simply dumps the idea of hybrid design. While it would make a lot of desktop users happy, it would kill a significant advantage that Windows tablets have over the competition, the ability to work as both a tablet and a desktop. That idea needs to be refined and made better, not killed.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to make judgments of a UI that's clearly just been cloned from 8.1 and is going to change. And if rumors are true, change fairly dramatically.

I made it clear what I will feel if they release Windows looking anything like that and my hopes that they wont.
I will re-iterate if you continue, and dissect it so you have a thorough understanding.
Then perhaps you can avoid the trolling.

I think the thing that most important at this point a...
What you think is of no consequence to this thread as it is just an attempt at diversion.

We should be able to voice our dismay at how bad Windows has become without being trolled.
You brow beat people into accepting the ugly interface and then divert the topic and even add untruths, but it doesnt work.
Yet you keep on and on.

I don't believe you understand the definition of trolling or that everyone here is expressing an opinion that's not really of any value to anyone else. This is just a discussion, nothing more.

A lot of people don't need the classic interface and are more than comfortable with a "dumb" interface like a Chromebook or whatever. It's these people that MS wants to move into their Metro-style ecosystem. It gets these people familiar with their mobile offerings to allow for an easy transition and a unified, convergent experience. It brings them into the app store which is where MS needs to starting making some buck since traditional forms of software sales are under threat.

If MS was smart they would open up the DE and allow third-party people to build their own DEs like there is in Linux, and then people can choose their own experience based on their own needs, rather than everybody being forced into one vision.

They should KNOW BETTER that what they are trying to do is streamline it...... it shouldn't be that hard to bring Aero back or something similar the start Menu is the worst part now.
They could of hired some guy from Stardocks to make a decent UI because the Lego kids who work at Microshaft don't know how to program.

Last edited:
They should KNOW BETTER that what they are trying to do is streamline it...... it shouldn't be that hard to bring Aero back or something similar the start Menu is the worst part now.
They could of hired some guy from Stardocks to make a decent UI because the Lego kids who work at Microshaft don't know how to program.

How is the Start Menu the worst part? On the left it's the same right now as 7 and pinning tiles on the right is completely optional. And something tells me that pinning conventional static links on the right is going to be heavily requested. It might already be there or is a planned feature further down the development line. With that, then there's really nothing for ever the most anti-Windows 8 person to legitimately complain about. Overall the Start system with the option of a Start Screen, Start Menu and the option to pin tiles on the Start Menu is the sum of what everyone was asking for.

How is the Start Menu the worst part? On the left it's the same right now as 7 and pinning tiles on the right is completely optional. And something tells me that pinning conventional static links on the right is going to be heavily requested. It might already be there or is a planned feature further down the development line. With that, then there's really nothing for ever the most anti-Windows 8 person to legitimately complain about. Overall the Start system with the option of a Start Screen, Start Menu and the option to pin tiles on the Start Menu is the sum of what everyone was asking for.

You can't please everyone. Sometimes, you have to bite your tongue and just click out. Some people won't like it no matter what (either legitimate reasons, or just a bias against it or whatever other reason). You can't convince them otherwise. It's almost to the point for some people that they won't accept anything less than an exact Windows 7 start menu. No updates, no changes. Just exactly the same (no mention that it's changed with damn near every release since Win95).

Besides - this is just the technical preview. I'm sure there is some not shown, some will change, some not included in the preview...

You can't please everyone. Sometimes, you have to bite your tongue and just click out. Some people won't like it no matter what (either legitimate reasons, or just a bias against it or whatever other reason). You can't convince them otherwise. It's almost to the point for some people that they won't accept anything less than an exact Windows 7 start menu. No updates, no changes. Just exactly the same (no mention that it's changed with damn near every release since Win95).

Besides - this is just the technical preview. I'm sure there is some not shown, some will change, some not included in the preview...

If your talking about Heatlessun he never clicks out and and ALWAYS has to have the last word. Look at every thread like this and I bet he'll have the most posts of anybody in it. The problem is he can't let anybody have a negative opinion without posting a counter argument. Half the time he'll go off on topic about something else Microsoft. A lot of the posters in here keep arguing because their sick of the MS love spamming he does. Maybe if he actually bit his tongue and kept his fucking hands off the keyboard every once in a while there wouldn't be so much hate and negativity. Your right, MS can't please everybody with every move they make....except for you know who.

I think it's a pretty decent start, honestly. The only real complaint I had was the location of the shutdown button. Not a huge deal, but it seems odd to me that they'd change it after years of being in the same spot.

I'm also hoping for an option to go back to aeroglass. I'm really not a fan of the Metro styled UI (hard lines/edges, high contrast, etc)

If your talking about Heatlessun he never clicks out and and ALWAYS has to have the last word. Look at every thread like this and I bet he'll have the most posts of anybody in it. The problem is he can't let anybody have a negative opinion without posting a counter argument. Half the time he'll go off on topic about something else Microsoft. A lot of the posters in here keep arguing because their sick of the MS love spamming he does. Maybe if he actually bit his tongue and kept his fucking hands off the keyboard every once in a while there wouldn't be so much hate and negativity. Your right, MS can't please everybody with every move they make....except for you know who.
Want some fun? Go through and read his posting history, especially around the time 8 was beta/RC. It's hilarious when contrasted with his points about desktop productivity.

As far as the video; looks good. Well, "good" in that I won't be terrified to introduce this to my xp/win7 users, knowing damn well I'll have weeks of hand holding ahead of me ( as was the case with 8 ).

Back