Windows 9 demo video close your eyes

It's still in the early stages of development, but yeah I really have no idea what Microsoft is doing anymore. Reason I stayed away from all the attempted hype years ago for Windows 9 to come along and fix Windows 8 issues is because I didn't think Microsoft was capable of doing it.

Unlike any other OS comparison, Windows 8 was a complete vision change and they aren't going to back away from it.

Apart from the absurdity of having different styling on left-click context menus and right-click context menus (isn't there anyone at Microsoft who really cares about cohesive design?), and apart from the hodgepodge of old-school and new-school iconography in the same menu, this looks to be pretty much what people have been asking for.

Borderless windows are a win. Borders are unnecessary visual detractors and occupy space that should be allocated to application content.

Not sure why everyone is hating on Windows 9, it's still in very early development an actually looks better than Windows 8.1 :)

People always gonna hate.

Not sure why everyone is hating on Windows 9, it's still in very early development an actually looks better than Windows 8.1 :)

People always gonna hate.

Yeah,

I mean, I'd still prefer a Windows7-like UI, with all the new improvements under the hood, but this is a move in the right direction.

Lets see what happens by launch time. It would be silly to take anything this early too seriously.

Windows 8(.1) is great on my HTPC. The interface is very good for the large screen, remote experience. It's certainly useable on the desktop, especially with some tweaking, but I prefer 7.

Either way, it's moot for me.

My desktop and laptop are all Linux. The only time I ever see windows is when I either fire up a VM to run some software that won't run on Linux (rare, usually just to manage my ESXi server, as for some crazy reason the web interface is limited to the paid version)

My main HTPC is running XBMX with the MythPVR plugin on Windows 8.1, but only to maintain Netflix compatibility without having to do the clunky silverlight in wine workaround. If not for this, I would switch it to some sort of Linux/MythTV/XBMC setup. The little HTPC in the bedroom runs MythBuntu and I am happy with it.

I'm just going to say it looks weak it looks like they were afraid to experiment.

Functionally, this is what everyone was asking for. The tiles on the right of the Start Menu can quickly and easily be removed. The only major functional piece I can think of is the right side of the Start Menu being able to in conventional shortcuts. If that's not already there, my guess is that it will be heavily requested if it's not already on tap to be implemented.

Looks livable, if, I say if, they make it easy for non touchscreen/desktop users. The problem with betas and development seems to be people happy with old style procedures and nomenclature have no interest in development.

Sigh. Microsoft store/account/downloads will not go away.
Really. I do about 6 things on my computers 99% of the time. I do not want to wade through "aps" or "offers," I get enough of that.
Tiles on parade.
web store security ?/??
Set up/maintenance should be simple enough teach anyone, or make sense to anyone with an earlier operating system.

New world argh,

Oh, my, that is hideous.
Modern/Metro UI has always been hideous. How MS managed to refine Win8's UI to make it even uglier is pretty amazing.

And the video shows that MS still doesn't get it that a tablet UI does not work on the desktop for productivity users.

I had hoped that MS would make a version of Windows that caters to productivity/corporate users, but MS is just lost in that space now. Alternatives, activate!

It's interesting that people are setting themselves on fire over the OPTION of have tiles on the Start Menu. Plus totally ignoring that tiles can provide at glance information and notifications. And the focus on the basic primary color tiles when a tile can pretty much be what ever text and/or image the developer wants with the ability to update dynamically.

So the tiles can be there if you want them and gone if you don't. Where's the problem in choice? 8's critics beat the concept of choice like well used drum. And now that there's more choice, well its ugly. But I bet plenty of people will use this to get email, weather and other notifications and quick info. Even in business.

Loving it, I can't wait to get my hands on the beta. New start menu looks perfect :D

I had to laugh when it became obvious that the guy was rebuilding the start screen into the Start Menu. I guess Windows 10 will be looking a lot like Windows 8.

Loving it, I can't wait to get my hands on the beta. New start menu looks perfect :D

Wanted to come say the same thing. I really like it. Start menu looks like the best of both worlds. I'm in. This is excellent.

I'm impressed. They brought back the start menu with good functionality as well as staying with their modern app stuff and tiles. It'll be nice to have some live tiles in there. Check the tile before opening the app. No updates? No reason to open it.

This is going to be fun!

edit: that ONE single option would have saved a lot of grief - "Use start menu instead of start screen".

I have Windows 8.1 on the system I'm using now, but I haven't been to the start menu the last few days. I think most people only use a very few apps and spend most of their time in a browser. I'm fairly certain there are few people who keep their start menus open for any reason other than starting apps. I can start a lot of apps pinned to the taskbar.

I think most people who complain(ed) about Windows 8.0/1 do so because they can't find what they want to do in the menus. Changing designs doesn't equal better. Somehow, the msft people designing the new UI seem to think different is better.

How silly is it really that someone got paid to design a UI that the rest of us can't even figure out how to use without trial and error. What on earth is the point?

Wanted to come say the same thing. I really like it. Start menu looks like the best of both worlds. I'm in. This is excellent.

I really don't see the problem with this. If you want tile notifications you can put them there. If you don't like tiles, simply remove them. Microsoft was criticized for not listening to customers. But what I think what many really meant when they said that is that Microsoft wasn't listening to them personally.

Clearly there are those that don't want tiles or modern apps on the desktop and see the option of having those things as Microsoft not listening. Which is silly when clearly there are those that wanted these things even if they are a minority of Windows users. The important thing here though is that nothing is being forced either way.

Is or will there be a way to turn off the right side tiles menu altogether from the start button screen on desktops. Just asking, not trying to offend the Metro defense force.

Modern/Metro UI has always been hideous. How MS managed to refine Win8's UI to make it even uglier is pretty amazing.

And the video shows that MS still doesn't get it that a tablet UI does not work on the desktop for productivity users.

I had hoped that MS would make a version of Windows that caters to productivity/corporate users, but MS is just lost in that space now. Alternatives, activate!

I dont even care anymore at this point! I find it hilarious how MS is still trying to somehow in some shape or form shove tablet UI on a desktop system! I mean look at the video! Not impressed!

Is or will there be a way to turn off the right side tiles menu altogether from the start button screen on desktops. Just asking, not trying to offend the Metro defense force.

I dont even care anymore at this point! I find it hilarious how MS is still trying to somehow in some shape or form shove tablet UI on a desktop system! I mean look at the video! Not impressed!

These tiles can be removed and the area collapses. That's not shoving anything, that's offering a choice. And it is possible that this area could also hold conventional shortcuts or that they may come before RTM. In any case nothing is forced here one way or the other.

I'm convinced there's nothing MS can do to convince the haters. No matter what, they'll be negative. Just go back to Win 7 or XP and stop complaining in every single Win 8/9 thread, ok?

Its still the best OS in the world (please, no more of the OSX crap, I have it and it sucks) and the UI should now please everyone (anyone who's not a blind Metro hater).

Nobody cares, ok? Flat != tablet UI. Or maybe you should spend your time complaining about Yosemite and iOS which have copied Metro.

The start menu seems more like what I want.

Its Start8 + Metro blended, and that works for me.

I like how they make the file manager structure, like a file manager
and the other things more...well like they should be.

I'm in favor of this, and I hated Win 8 from the get go, still do, even though
when you put it on the same hardware, its very snappy and fast, much more
than 7, but it was not useful OOB.

It won't be a hit like 7. But it won't be the dud that Vista was, or the disappointment that 8 has been.

I hated Win8 with passion , but I don’t see anything wrong with the start menu so far, I used to use apps like Rainmeter and RocketDock and this extra area in the start menu might be handy. things like the power button menu and calculator being designed with touch in mind is a downside but I can live with it as long as the whole OS doesn’t feel so.

Looks as though this is their first time attempting to apply the mere concept or idea of a start "menu" ... like trying to re-invent the wheel. They don't seem to be aware that their Windows 7 has a start menu crafted from several years of experience since the oldest version of Windows with a GUI.

As others have mentioned, they could just reintroduce the win 7 start menus for desktop mode. Sheesh!

As others have mentioned, they could just reintroduce the win 7 start menus for desktop mode. Sheesh!

That's pretty much what they did with the OPTION to add tiles on the right. Again, we still don't know if the right will also be able to contain conventional static shortcuts.

In related news...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/13/6142743/leaked-windows-9-video-shows-multiple-desktops-at-work

Though app assignments aren't demonstrated here (if supported at all), they're on the right track with a very OS X-like Spaces implementation. There aren't many ways to do virtual desktop interfaces differently than the way Apple does it, and I'm frankly pleased they haven't really tried.
I'd rather have a Windows 7 start menu back, please and thank you.

I'd rather have a Windows 7 start menu back, please and thank you.

The left side is back. It's the right side of it that's causing the conniption fits with the option to add tiles. It might be possible to add conventional static shortcuts and then it's pretty much exactly the same with simply more optional functionality. The right side of the Start Menu is so limited anyway that hopefully Microsoft adds this option just to shut folks up about it. The tiles are a much more useful function because you can get info from tiles and can selected then. That's inherently more useful than a predefined set of static links. But it's worth it in PR alone just to add the throw back.

The left side is back. It's the right side of it that's causing the conniption fits with the option to add tiles. It might be possible to add conventional static shortcuts and then it's pretty much exactly the same with simply more optional functionality. The right side of the Start Menu is so limited anyway that hopefully Microsoft adds this option just to shut folks up about it. The tiles are a much more useful function because you can get info from tiles and can selected then. That's inherently more useful than a predefined set of static links. But it's worth it in PR alone just to add the throw back.

More useful to some (me), but not all. Some HATE the tiles and don't want them at all... Personally, I find them very useful. I'll pin apps with live tiles there. Look at them, see if I have new emails, weather, etc at a glance. If I have notifications that there are new items, I'll click it. If not, I won't waste my time.

Left side is business as usual (with some modification to move/hide the modern app links, if needed).

I think it's an excellent middle ground to appeal to both sides (except for the haters that hate it regardless....).

More useful to some (me), but not all. Some HATE the tiles and don't want them at all... Personally, I find them very useful. I'll pin apps with live tiles there. Look at them, see if I have new emails, weather, etc at a glance. If I have notifications that there are new items, I'll click it. If not, I won't waste my time.

Left side is business as usual (with some modification to move/hide the modern app links, if needed).

I think it's an excellent middle ground to appeal to both sides (except for the haters that hate it regardless....).

There are those that accurately point out that Android is currently the #1 OS in the world. And virtually every device Android runs on has a touch screen device. Bottom line, it's not enough for x86 Windows to be a keyboard and mouse oriented OS in the age where the worlds #1 OS runs on touch screens unless x86 Windows is to be relegated only to devices that "Dad uses for work." The situation is that simple and everyone that touts Android was the world's #1 OS only reinforces the case.

Looks like a good improvement to me. Honestly don't have a big issue with Win 8.1 now that I've used it more.

Back