Windows 9 Coming November 2014?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are one of the many sworn to skip Windows 8 completely and wait out the next version, you may have a date to shoot for now. According to Win8China, the guys who put many rumors out there, (and are usually right on the mark) you can expect to see the Windows 9 Beta out in January 2014 with the finished product hitting the shelves in November 2014. So hang in there baby, hopefully help is on the horizon. :cool:

Windows Blue will be an upgrade to Windows 8 that will be launched this year, while a full version upgrade will come the following year, and naturally November is the perfect time ahead of the holiday season.

Finding this one hard to believe. They JUST released 8 and now within a year and half we're going to get 9? Microsoft will be competing with its-self which historically they do not like to do.

Me thinks MS will push Windows 9 (or Project Blue) back to 2015.

More frequent iterative releases with cheap upgrade path. Makes sense to me.

Windows 8 has been great so far on my desktop, looking forward to Blue.

Finding this one hard to believe. They JUST released 8 and now within a year and half we're going to get 9? Microsoft will be competing with its-self which historically they do not like to do.

Me thinks MS will push Windows 9 (or Project Blue) back to 2015.

There was a news article posted on [H] last year sometime after Windows 8 was released.

Microsoft is intending to move Windows towards a Linux-distro-like release schedule.

We're looking at something like one major update for Windows 8 then a major OS revision about a year or so after Windows 8's release date.

More frequent iterative releases with cheap upgrade path. Makes sense to me.

Windows 8 has been great so far on my desktop, looking forward to Blue.

Is there any explanation of what Blue will be anywhere?

Are they doing this to get more money from people (by effectively charging for updates).
Or, are they doing it to increase the number of bugs and incompatibilities between software versions?

I believe the idea isn't to make more money... Even though it might work out that way. They are taking the Apple approach here. Smaller yearly updates instead of the huge jump they made when they released windows vista after 5 years of XP. The more gradual changes allows software and hardware developers to keep current. It also reduced the amount of potential bugs in the OS since less is changing.

^ It's also another way for Microsoft to follow the Apple business model.
In other words, apps, supported software, etc. will all become obsolete two versions later, forcing users to "upgrade", and thus pay more money for the same functions to be used on a slightly newer version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did this with their hardware (tablets) as well.
Two years later, it's unsupported, buy a new one, bitch! :p

"Naturally November is the perfect time ahead of the holiday season."

What?

"Jimmy, son, what would you like for Christmas? A B.B. gun? A dirt bike? The new Playstation?"
"No, dad, I want an operating system upgrade! You don't understand me at all!"

@Red Falcon Actually.. Microsoft has always been very focused on backwards compatibility. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

^ It's also another way for Microsoft to follow the Apple business model.
In other words, apps, supported software, etc. will all become obsolete two versions later, forcing users to "upgrade", and thus pay more money for the same functions to be used on a slightly newer version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did this with their hardware (tablets) as well.
Two years later, it's unsupported, buy a new one, bitch! :p

Apples OS updates are like $20. Not the same thing.

This is a money grab forcing to pay for service packs.

But what they are going to do is allude to Win9 being the Win7 to Win8's Vista. And let the cliche sell Win9 for them. I forsee no plan to change anything about Win8.

So now we get a new OS , one major update and then go fuck yourself unless you buy another new OS a year and half later? Incredible.

That's just about the best way to piss off your audience.

Vista was 2007, Windows 7 Was 2009. Windows 8 is less popular than Vista, so it kind of makes sense to try and cover over the OS even quicker.

The sillies who fell for Windows 8 shall get to "upgrade" the "the future" even faster, hopefully they wont be scared of the speed that this change is happening...:eek: (and hopefully it wont be another service pack with barely any features with some crap UI ontop) :D

Vista was 2007, Windows 7 Was 2009. Windows 8 is less popular than Vista, so it kind of makes sense to try and cover over the OS even quicker.

The sillies who fell for Windows 8 shall get to "upgrade" the "the future" even faster, hopefully they wont be scared of the speed that this change is happening...:eek: (and hopefully it wont be another service pack with barely any features with some crap UI ontop) :D

hahaha:p

To those of you who hate Windows 8 - what makes you think Windows 9 will be any different?

(FWIW I'm running Win 8 on my desktop and think it's great, I can find everything that I need to, and pretty easily at that.)

It will probably be called: Windows 14.04 Blue Ballmer

Are you saying they're going to name the system 14.04 because of the date? You mean 14.11? If anything the version will be either 6.3 or 7.0.

They seem pretty set on using Windows 9.

Are you saying they're going to name the system 14.04 because of the date? You mean 14.11? If anything the version will be either 6.3 or 7.0.

They seem pretty set on using Windows 9.

It was my joke cause they are going in a similar direction to Ubuntu. I didn't read the release date and didn't care to. 14.11 Blue Ballmer sounds just as good though.

Once this new ploy of M$ explodes in their face in a few years and Balmer either retires or is voted out by the board, I'll expect things to return to a similar model to their previous one and versions of Windows to be back in line with some level of competence.

The current system, not the product or release cycles, but the development of it is in chaos. M$ has been fighting an internal war for years in trying to figure out how to squeeze a good product using cheap programming labour coupled with good US architecture & management... it's just a matter of time before it crumbles.

I love seeing MS articles posted on here, even if its not Windows related the nerd rage over win8 comes in FURIOUSLY!

It'll be more interesting when something official comes out of MS along with a clearer picture of how the OS will be changed or improved internally and what it will look like. Rumors are amusing, but it'd be better to have substantial information from the horse's mouth.

Microsoft will just double down on everything people who hate Windows 8 really hate. Or should I say Buttons 1.0

I'm waiting for 9 to see what it has to offer me. I have no reason o upgrade to 8 on my main machine. Sticking with 7 till I can see what 9 offers.

Once this new ploy of M$ explodes in their face in a few years and Balmer either retires or is voted out by the board, I'll expect things to return to a similar model to their previous one and versions of Windows to be back in line with some level of competence.

The current system, not the product or release cycles, but the development of it is in chaos. M$ has been fighting an internal war for years in trying to figure out how to squeeze a good product using cheap programming labour coupled with good US architecture & management... it's just a matter of time before it crumbles.

When you use "M$", it makes your entire posting moot.

I wonder if they are going to bridge the standard controls into metro and allow metro be windowed?

Its possible this could eliminate the occurrence of such entrenched Windows versions like XP and 7 that keep people from upgrading.

Still installing XP on a lot of machines where i work lol.

Exactly. Businesses are the last to adopt and some are just now getting Windows 7. If Microsoft keeps this up, they're going to fragment the marketplace. Make support hectic for software developers.

Exactly. Businesses are the last to adopt and some are just now getting Windows 7. If Microsoft keeps this up, they're going to fragment the marketplace. Make support hectic for software developers.

Just seems like bad businesses either need to fire their IT staff or go out of business. Either way...adapt or die. So tired of main reason MS shouldn't evolve their OS is because business are cheap ass fucks that want to live like dinosaurs.

Just seems like bad businesses either need to fire their IT staff or go out of business. Either way...adapt or die. So tired of main reason MS shouldn't evolve their OS is because business are cheap ass fucks that want to live like dinosaurs.
I hear you. I am an engineer and at work I have a Dell Precision desktop that originally came with win7. IT wiped it and installed xp because they wanted all computers to have the same OS. If I run Solidworks and Autocad at the same time one or the other crashes. The latest Solidworks doesn't even support xp so we will see what happens now.

I love seeing MS articles posted on here, even if its not Windows related the nerd rage over win8 comes in FURIOUSLY!

I've learned to just stay quiet. Those that love it will tell those that hate it they are using it wrong. Those that hate it tell those that like it that they are just MS whores that don't know what they are talking about. There really is no middle ground. No matter what, you're wrong.

If Microsoft can get these mid-release (Windows Blue) out for no cost or very little, and look at Apples example, then this could easily be a win for them. If they continue to charge $200 for a release, I am not so sure. Most people, other than us enthusiasts, upgrade when they buy a new PC. Bring it down to $20, make it easy peasy to upgrade, and you might have a winner. Do I see that happening? No. I think they will do the 3 months of $20 upgrade then jack the price up again and the upgrade process not so easy (easy for us, but not for Grandma).

If you are one of the many sworn to skip Windows 8 completely and wait out the next version, you may have a date to shoot for now. According to Win8China, the guys who put many rumors out there, (and are usually right on the mark) you can expect to see the Windows 9 Beta out in January 2014 with the finished product hitting the shelves in November 2014. So hang in there baby, hopefully help is on the horizon. :cool:

I've heard similar rumors from my sources, but very few of them think that Windows 9 will do anything to reverse the Windows 8 debacle.

As of right now Microsoft has committed no resources to design a replacement desktop for the quote/unquote "Modern Style UI. Nor has Microsoft committed any resources to develop separate Interface designs for Mobile, low-resolution, and high-resolution usage scenarios.

Ergo: Most of the major factors that turn Windows 8 from a barely tolerable toddlers rendition of Gnome into a complete disaster that makes Gnome 2 look like KDE by comparison... are not being addressed in any way, shape, form, idea, concept, or construct. (as if I need to remind HardOCP readers of this breakdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo)

They're moving Windows back to a by-yearly upgrade cycle like they used to have with Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Me, etc.

Back