Windows 8 Windows Experience Index

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Came across this article on TechRepublic that shows how to run the WEI test and see your scores. I know they're pretty pointless scores but its neat to see them now compared to what they were. I do however like using the <query> argument with the command to get the raw performance output of your system, I find that to be useful.

Scale maxes out at 9.0 now in Windows 8.1, I got a system score of 7.9 because of my primary disk speed....even though its an SSD...all the rest of my scores are between 8.3 - 8.8. See, this is where I like the query argument because it shows that my SSD seq. read is 494MB/s but it's random read is only 193MB/s...im assuming its the random read times that drop its score.

Nerdy...yup. Useless...pretty much.

There are some "building Windows" blogs by the engineering team that explains how Windows uses WEI.

And yes, while it may be kinda pointless to use WEI to compare hardware, the results are vital to Windows as it uses the results to tune itself.

The people that complain about WEI don't know what it's really used for so I would ignore them.

There are some "building Windows" blogs by the engineering team that explains how Windows uses WEI.

And yes, while it may be kinda pointless to use WEI to compare hardware, the results are vital to Windows as it uses the results to tune itself.

The people that complain about WEI don't know what it's really used for so I would ignore them.

Oh ya, I'm aware that Windows itself uses the metrics to optimize some of its functions but I think Microsoft's vision for that number didn't really pan out. I also think a system score based on your lowest subsystem score is kind of ridiculous, my system score of 5 isn't necessarily going to present the same experience as someone else's system score of 5...but then again that would probably apply using an averaging of the numbers as well.

Regardless, I thought it was interesting to be able to dig those numbers up again on the newer OS/hardware.

Back