Windows 8 Users to Get Free Upgrade to Windows 9

windows 8. lets pretend your computer is a big fucking phone, because phones are so easy to use

What I find crazy is that even the Windows 8.1 Pro version doesn't include media center built in, nor is it a free download. They want an additional $10 to add that functionality, when alternatives like Plex are completely free.

Problem of course is that if you want cable-card functionality, you need media center since Plex won't do live TV, but a bit moot anyway since it seems the major providers have made getting a cable card, raising awareness of them, and getting them activated and working as difficult as legally possible and Microsoft has made minimal effort to supporting them, which itself is a convoluted setup procedure.

Thus cablecards account for less than 1% of the total, and the rest are the rented $7 a month boxes.... the whole thing that cablecard was meant to stop the monopoly of.

Because I don't want any of Microsoft's cloud services, Live accounts, software rental and licensing crap, Bing search results, and all of their other monetization tactics on my computer.

I don't want my OS being used against me to sell and market additional products.

There is the local account for that. Don't use their cloud service, don't use the MS email software, and don't use IE, Bing bar can be disabled, and that is all fixed up.

I hate the prompts for that shit as well, but then again, Win8 was aimed at tablets/phones and not really the desktop, so that sort of thing is to be expected. My Android device defaults to trying to sync with everything on the fucking planet until I turn off what I don't want. I have heard the iphone/pad are the same.

This seems very out of character for MS. I find it hard to believe. A lot of times these rumors are really bad clickbait, but sometimes they have a motive, they are actually people who are trying to get a company to do what they want.

I certainly wont complain if they give a free update though I am very skeptical.

The single amount of sheer ignorance regarding the functions of Windows 8 is laughable. The vast majority here have zero knowledge of it or have never used it and are speaking out of their asses.

The single amount of sheer ignorance regarding the functions of Windows 8 is laughable. The vast majority here have zero knowledge of it or have never used it and are speaking out of their asses.

I agree with this.

so tell me, how many corporations have upgraded to windows 8?

Pretty much every new version of Windows has been called nothing more than a service pack by many anyway. If it's free, when what does it even matter?

It doesn't and it would be great if it was true.

Imma stay with Windows 7. I have Windows 8 on one machine and I don't like it one bit.

Then again, I said the same about Windows 7 when I had XP...

Only win8 users should get the free upgrade. After all we paid for something that is considered a fail software.... I think.

If the rumour about locking out tablets from Desktop is true, I'm not upgrading my tablet. I use Desktop on it with full x86 programs on a daily basis, not to mention Office 2013 which came prebundled.

If the rumour about locking out tablets from Desktop is true, I'm not upgrading my tablet. I use Desktop on it with full x86 programs on a daily basis, not to mention Office 2013 which came prebundled.

The rumors about this have been somewhat confusing. There has been talk of removing the desktop from smaller tablets, but for x86 devices I don't think that makes a lot of sense. 2 in 1 devices seem to be something of bright spot in the Windows 8 disaster and the desktop is a big selling point for Windows tablets in general. The desktop is plenty useful for many even on a small Windows tablet and I use it all the time for desktop OneNote that works fine with touch and pen on such a device.

I'm thinking that the desktop will only go away on ARM devices where the main purpose was to run desktop Office. With the eventual arrival of modern Office, that need will mostly go away. And since you can't install desktop apps on Windows ARM devices, there's really nothing lost there.

What we've seen in these leaks thus far seem to show that for x86 devices at least, the ability to work like a desktop with the Start Menu is there along side the Start Screen. It does seem more like a true hybrid solution that would officer Windows hybrids and tablets a very clear advantage. Hopefully the ability to switch between the two UIs won't require a log out and can be done on the fly. That would excellent for something like the Surface Pro.

Over the years in these debates, there has been a lot of just flat out wrong information spread out there regarding Windows 8. Of course many of the issues bought up were valid. But was 8 RTM got updated to 8.1 and then 8.1 Update 1, many of the issues were addressed. Not perfectly but 8.1 Update 1 is much more keyboard and mouse friendly than 8 RTM.

Many people are still using 8 RTM and making their comments on it and it's a year out of date. Of course a lot of people did have issues with the 8.1 upgrade. Not sure why that update was done through the Store and not Windows update. I think that Microsoft is working on getting the 8.1 upgrade into Windows update. Upgrading to Windows 9 I bet will only be supported under 8.1. So getting as many folks on 8.1 to get 9 if it is free would be a good thing.

Over the years in these debates, there has been a lot of just flat out wrong information spread out there regarding Windows 8. Of course many of the issues bought up were valid. But was 8 RTM got updated to 8.1 and then 8.1 Update 1, many of the issues were addressed. Not perfectly but 8.1 Update 1 is much more keyboard and mouse friendly than 8 RTM.

Many people are still using 8 RTM and making their comments on it and it's a year out of date. Of course a lot of people did have issues with the 8.1 upgrade. Not sure why that update was done through the Store and not Windows update. I think that Microsoft is working on getting the 8.1 upgrade into Windows update. Upgrading to Windows 9 I bet will only be supported under 8.1. So getting as many folks on 8.1 to get 9 if it is free would be a good thing.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on my 2nd HTPC intel "NUC". Its been quite a bit better than Windows 8 RTM....and I must admit that I was VERY vocal with Windows 8 RTM being absolute SHITE for Windows power users and even those who have used Windows since Windows 98 (I still hold to that view), but Windows 8.1 is better...not perfect, but better. With the introduction of Windows 9 so early, Microsoft is doing a very smart move by effectively "erasing" Windows 8/8.1 by offering the free upgrade.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...n-around-4gb-heres-where-the-download-will-be

So we have a little bit more information based on the leak of a the TP download page. There are 64 and 32 bit versions, there had been talk of 64 bit only this time. Size is slightly bigger than 8.1 it looks. So it seems ready to go, not sure why Microsoft wouldn't release this Tuesday unless there's a few details they still need to work on, perhaps additional bandwidth. This this is going no doubt be downloaded several million times next week.

All these kiddies jump on the hate wagon. The only real difference between 8.1 and 7 is the start menu. Windows 8 had issues, yes, Windows 8.1 fixed them.

There are large public corporations that are going to or are on Windows 8.1 and Office 2013, I know because I work for one. Windows 8.1 has a lot of under the hood changes that makes supporting it easier.

They really need to change the name of this forum. You people aren't hard you're just little bitches that cry about anything that isn't like your precious Windows XP. I'm sorry XP is the only OS you know and had experience with but in the real computer world things change and progress. You may not like or agree with the changes but you accept them and learn.

Computer advancement isn't going to stop because a bunch of whiners think what we have now is "good enough."

I cant believe the kind of fans who keep defending Windows 8, when even MS, if this story is true, is admitting it sucks so bad they are going to give away Windows 9 to get of the filthy putrid stain of Windows 8.

Metro still exists it is a failure

pretty sad you think an OS is a failure for 1 feature you barely even see or use once you actually use Windows 8 :rolleyes:

Instead of seeing all of the other things Windows 8 added...

Im not beta testing for m$ till sp1

heh

Ugh, another one of these..

You are aware that the code base on Win 9 is likely identical / pretty dam close to Windows 8 which wasnt far off from Windows 7? Why do think they are releasing windows 9 so fast...

The VERY VERY old "i will wait till SP1" i wish would just die already.

I have a ANIME TUBE tile on my Metro Start screen what is there not to like free Anime movies!

pretty sad you think an OS is a failure for 1 feature you barely even see or use once you actually use Windows 8 :rolleyes:

Instead of seeing all of the other things Windows 8 added...

This. I haven't seen the metro screen since I accidentally pressed the windows key. I always boot straight into the desktop and never see the metro screen. It would be nice to see an option to turn it off on desktops though. There is seriously zero use for it on most desktops.

I'm pretty happy with Windows 8.1 Update 1... (I don't use any metro [or whatever theyre called now] apps)

It will be interesting to see what 9 runs like, but time will tell

It's about learning how to use it but dealing with an inferior UI. Anything I do in Metro will likely take much longer and be more difficult than the Windows UI.
Hardly.

Process tree for opening Illustrator on my Windows 7 laptop:
Windows key (start menu pops up) - click the small Illustrator icon shortcut

Process tree for opening Illustrator on my Windows 8.1 desktop:
Windows key (metro pops up) - Click the large Illustrator tile

It's literally the EXACT same number of steps. The only difference is that the Windows 8 button is easy to see.

If the metro UI isn't faster it's your fault for not taking 3 minutes to learn how to use such a ridiculously simple design.

If the metro UI isn't faster it's your fault for not taking 3 minutes to learn how to use such a ridiculously simple design.

Ouch. You're holding it wrong.

Every body doesn't use it the same as you. I hit Windows key and start typing. Other times, I hit the icon. It takes a while to get used to that, especially after coming from Windows 7. Once you get it, it's not necessarily faster or easier, it's just a habit.

I don't like that excuse, though - it's your fault for not learning it... If you worked in IT, you'd be saying that 1000x a day. People do things differently. I've seen people do things completely different than others. Opening applications, printing.... It's not their fault they don't know how to do things the same way you do... It's your fault for doing things your way.

Im not beta testing for m$ till sp1

heh

There has not been issues with the early release of windows since.... 2000. Unlike OSX where something seems to be broke with every release and you just wait till the next version to change out broken parts

There has not been issues with the early release of windows since.... 2000. Unlike OSX where something seems to be broke with every release and you just wait till the next version to change out broken parts

XP sucked before SP2. Vista was bad before the service packs (I lucked out, but I was one of a very few). 7 was good at launch. 8 was good, but they fixed a lot of UI complaints at 8.1, but stability was always great.

With the same basic code as 8/7, Windows 9 should be fine from the get go. Hopefully, we get some good information in the next few days about the under the hood changes alongside the new UI changes.

Ouch. You're holding it wrong.

Every body doesn't use it the same as you. I hit Windows key and start typing. Other times, I hit the icon. It takes a while to get used to that, especially after coming from Windows 7. Once you get it, it's not necessarily faster or easier, it's just a habit.

I don't like that excuse, though - it's your fault for not learning it... If you worked in IT, you'd be saying that 1000x a day. People do things differently. I've seen people do things completely different than others. Opening applications, printing.... It's not their fault they don't know how to do things the same way you do... It's your fault for doing things your way.
That doesn't change the fact that the process trees involved in opening apps is exactly the same between both versions. The only difference is the way they look. What it boils down to is that the Win8 haters don't like the way it looks and are passing that hatred off as an excuse to bash the usability of an OS that functions damn near the same way.

That doesn't change the fact that the process trees involved in opening apps is exactly the same between both versions. The only difference is the way they look. What it boils down to is that the Win8 haters don't like the way it looks and are passing that hatred off as an excuse to bash the usability of an OS that functions damn near the same way.

I'm pretty vocal that Windows 8 looks like ass compared to Aero. If I have to look at something for 7-8 hours during the day, I want it to look pretty.

Take my wife for example. She functions just like most any other sane woman. But I don't pick some 900lb hairy bald woman, even though they "function damn near the same way". :D

I'm pretty vocal that Windows 8 looks like ass compared to Aero. If I have to look at something for 7-8 hours during the day, I want it to look pretty.

Take my wife for example. She functions just like most any other sane woman. But I don't pick some 900lb hairy bald woman, even though they "function damn near the same way". :D
How often are you in the metro interface during an 8 hour day though? I've been at my desk 5 hours so far and I've yet to access the metro interface.

Haha. I can't argue with the ugly wife analogy.

LOL...thanx for the second good laugh today!

I've used Windows 8 pretty extensively on a non-touchscreen laptop, and I have to say that I find it pretty annoying. Having to go through half a dozen button clicks to turn off the machine is annoying, and booting to the Metro screen is annoying. I find myself wanting to just use the desktop, use the standard Start menu...hell, basically just use Windows 7 rather than use Windows 8.

I will say that it boots extremely fast and overall the interface feels snappy, but that doesn't matter much to me when it's annoying to use in the first place. Just recently got another cheap laptop that came with Windows 8 and installed 7 on it instead.

Back