Windows 8 Trouble

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Starguard, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Starguard

Starguard Limp Gawd

I have a Gateway Tower thats running Windows 8 and its really becoming a pain...

For some reason it won't alow any updates. It will run fine for a short period of time, but whenever I turn it off and power it back on again, it tries to install updates and once it reaches the 99% mark, it stops and says "Updates Failed" and sets everthing back to it's origional form..

I want to simply re-install the origional software, but if I do this, I will have to erase everything that I hve stored on it.

Can anoyone offer Advice :eek:

2. Solhokuten

Solhokuten [H]ard|Gawd

You can use USMT to capture your user state, and redeploy after your done reimaging/refreshing. Assuming its just the user data you worried about and not installed programs.

You may also want to try resetting Windows update first to see if that resolves the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Is the system clock correct?

4. Shlunky11

Shlunky11 n00b

When you get the update failed error, what is the code that is associated with it?
    We can start there before we look at the logs and see exactly what it was that took place when it put on the brakes..

ยง

5. Starguard

Starguard Limp Gawd

I think that did it dude.. Thanks :cool: