Windows 8 Sucks - Everything crashes

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
LOL at all of the threads about Windows 10 issues. I have had a laptop that I barely use for about a year now and it came preloaded with Windows 8. I would have installed Windows 7 on it immediately but it has a touch screen and I couldn't find any Dell drivers for Windows 7.

Last night I installed Steam to try to download some games and see if I can't get a little action while on an airplane or something. Nope, they all crash upon trying to open. They were old school (doom II, trials II, i-fluid) but every single one of them crashed.

I then figured maybe it is just old school games, so I went and installed Starcraft II. Upon putting in my Blizzard username/password it crashes. I even had Blizzard live help talk me through deleting folders, trying different things and nothing worked.

Earlier this week I tried installing and running a work related program: you guessed it, it wouldn't work. It didn't crash like the others, just simply closed up.

What in the world? Is this normal operation? The only thing I can pin it on is Windows 8. I've updated java and other runtime related items that these programs required. I've tried running the programs directly with the executable with admin privileges to no avail.

Crashes in everything like you describe suggests hardware problems. You may want to do a memory test or other troubleshooting using stress tools which report errors.

Crashes in everything like you describe suggests hardware problems. You may want to do a memory test or other troubleshooting using stress tools which report errors.

I thought about this too but I have a dozen other programs (not games) that work without a hitch. I'm thinking that the games MAY have something to do with graphics card/drivers; I did update the graphics drivers but that didn't change anything.

Im with pxc on this issue...windows doesn't just magically break or get hosed. A new install of any os would probably fix it...even windows 10:D. When did the issue start? You keep backups right?

I stopped blaming Windows for computer issues when I switched to XP. Since then problems are typically hardware, application or user related.

Im with pxc on this issue...windows doesn't just magically break or get hosed. A new install of any os would probably fix it...even windows 10:D. When did the issue start? You keep backups right?

The laptop hasn't been used much at all. The only thing installed is Windows 8 (from Dell) and then installed some work related stuff that is easy to install. Really no need for local backups. I'll see if I can't hunt down the Windows 8 disk to reinstall Windows.

What tools would you suggest? To me it sounds mainly like a graphics card issue as productivity products work just fine but games don't.

I have had windows 8 for ages and not had crashes like you say, it is something else, hardware, wrong drivers, something else.

I bought Win8 when it came out. It routinely crashed my PC. Two years latter, with a new CPU and video card, I installed 8.1 and again my PC began crashing. Since my computer only crashed when 8 was installed - over a period of several years and hardware upgrades - I had to conclude 8 was the problem.Win 8 was always a half-assed POS. Nothing it does wrong surprises me

Does SC2 crash if you use the following to launch it? start /affinity 1 sc2.exe

Every thing up to date?
Windows 8.1 update, all windows updates, most up to date drivers from Dell?

..maybe take the thing apart and replace the factory T.I.M. with some higher quality stuff on the APU/CPU/GPU ... whatever you got in there. Does the thing stay running when you run various stress tests? CPU or GPU related?

...just ideas if your crashing is heat related at all..

Ran Windows 8.1 from the beta all the way through last month with minimal issues.
At the same time, that was a desktop.
Laptops are notorious for bloatware and bundled apps that duplicate or even battle with Windows for functionality. A clean install goes a long way even if they don't always make that easy to do for most laptops.

Back