Windows 8 Still Behind Vista In Market Share

I mean, duh. Windows 8 has been out 4 months, Vista has been out 6 years.

The problem is: if someone buys a PC with Win 8 pre-installed, and then installs non-kiddie-interfaced Win 7 - which bin does that fall in, huh? Right.

that just shows that lot of people wont upgrade their computer to the current os and leave it on the os it was on

The problem is: if someone buys a PC with Win 8 pre-installed, and then installs non-kiddie-interfaced Win 7 - which bin does that fall in, huh? Right.

Well, they gather their data from unique browser hits to client websites, so it would fall into the Win 7 bin.

So it's a measure of OS usage and not sales.

This.

In other news:

4K TVs still behind 1080P TVs in market share
Wii U still behind Wii in market share
SSDs still behind HDDs in market share
Toilet paper still behind leaves in market share

I'm more shocked by just how many people are running XP still

Pay more attention to businesses and people who don't buy a new computer until the old one is dead and you'll see XP is still alive and well. I rebuilt a XP laptop last week when the choice was rebuild or buy a new xray sensor and software to the tune of around $5000.

I am not surprised but, it will be interesting to see where it is in 2020.

You mean April 2014, right ? Right ? Let's hope there won't be too many idiots (sorry for the word) running a unsupported OS with no security updates after April 8 2014.

I am thinking large companies will try and succeed in converting your computer into a 'cloud'-connecting device. You give up all control of your programs, and pay a monthly fee.. even most control of your data if you are not paying attention...
I think MS thinks its fantastic and its the future.. they will pull it off.. thing is.. whats to stop google to offer you a better cloud or a cheaper cloud, since your computer is a glorified dummy terminal by 2020 (as they envision things in my view) then who cares about a good OS, or a stable OS, its all in a cloud anyway. Amazon cloud, Google cloud, gaming cloud, hey, MS might have some real competition soon.

A co-worker bought a new laptop. She was sorely unprepared for the Windows8 Experience. "Dan, can you turn this back to normal please?"

A co-worker bought a new laptop. She was sorely unprepared for the Windows8 Experience. "Dan, can you turn this back to normal please?"

I know the feeling there. Everyone i know that gets a new laptop freaks out because they don't know what they are doing and want XP or 7 loaded on it so they can use it again.

Excuse me, I think it's time to make Ubuntu my everyday OS. Mmm yes.

images

You mean April 2014, right ? Right ? Let's hope there won't be too many idiots (sorry for the word) running a unsupported OS with no security updates after April 8 2014.

My company is still running a couple hundred Win2K machines. MS not updating it means nothing as long as the computers do what the company needs. So I wouldn't expect to see some major drop in XP use just because MS stops supporting it.

Even if you compare similar time-frames, Windows 8 still trails Vista. Several sites show Vista held a 3.3% share three months after release.

Even if you compare similar time-frames, Windows 8 still trails Vista. Several sites show Vista held a 3.3% share three months after release.

I got Vista on the day it came out, installed it, used it for two weeks, then went back to XP. Once SP1 came out, I tried it again, and went back to XP a month later. I liked the new security format (stupid whiners killed a proper UAC) but I hated all the crashing. It really was half baked.

With Windows 8, I got it the day it came out, and have continued using it, on my desktop machine. Win8 is far better than Vista. I like it so much, I got myself a WinRT tablet (Dell XPS 10) to replace my Galaxy Tab 10.1 today. I really fail to understand what people have against it. It's far, far better than Vista, and I find it better than Win7 in many ways, but also worse than Win7 in many ways. Overall, it's equal to Win7, but newer, so I stick with it.

Don't you love on obvious stats?

This.

In other news:

4K TVs still behind 1080P TVs in market share
Wii U still behind Wii in market share
SSDs still behind HDDs in market share
Toilet paper still behind leaves in market share
The issue is not adoption rate as a total, it is the rate of adoption gain.

Here are a few snips from the site since it's obvious none of you read it.
If growth of 0.4% wasn’t bad enough, it’s also worth pointing out that it’s down from 0.5% in January — yes, Windows 8 adoption is slowing down.
Windows_8_update_Dec_2012.jpg

Windows 8 adoption rates are slowing down. What that tells me is that the few people out there who like 8, bought it. Now the 'real numbers' are being reflected by the rest of us who don't like it and are not buying it.

2 months after being out, Windows 8 has a smaller market share than Vista did after 2 months, and no one (almost) liked Vista.

I wonder when Mojave Touch experiment will happen. ;)

It's all good, Windows 8.1 will be out and for sale in a few more months anyways.

Personally, I love windows 8 and could never imagine going back to 7.

The thing is, is that most computers that came with Windows 7 are still plenty fast for what most people do.

Until those computers die or get replaced, the market share of 8 is not going to grow super fast.

Bet you a lot of the PC's purchased with Win8 ended up getting downgraded to Win7...

The thing is, is that most computers that came with Windows 7 are still plenty fast for what most people do.

Until those computers die or get replaced, the market share of 8 is not going to grow super fast.

Agreed, but it's not just about top line performance anymore as we move to more and more mobile devices. Weight and battery become a much bigger part of the equation and we should some very impressive improvements in the battery life, weight and performance of x86 machines in the coming year.

Bet you a lot of the PC's purchased with Win8 ended up getting downgraded to Win7...

Probably not that many in the consumer space. And as more and more of the Windows 8 device mix are tablets and come with touchscreens, downgrading to Windows 7 becomes pointless.

Agreed, but it's not just about top line performance anymore as we move to more and more mobile devices. Weight and battery become a much bigger part of the equation and we should some very impressive improvements in the battery life, weight and performance of x86 machines in the coming year.

I've yet to see people throw out a new-ish desktop PC in favor of a mobile device (tablet/laptop) when the other works. I'm definitely with the opinion that folks are not going to replace a newer, fast machine with a new device until it's old and too slow or it just doesn't work anymore. Some people will buy new devices because they are more mobile, but not enough to make a difference. I agree that mobile devices have made some huge improvements, but I still think consumers won't upgrade to those until their current machines are ready to be replaced.

Who are the idiots who are still using XP?

Many in the industrial and laboratory space are locked in to using XP or even older systems. If a manufacturer of a piece of equipment that costs $100k+ does not write new control software I doubt many are going to go out and plop down the mega bucks for new equipment just so they can use W8. We still have a few WinNT4 computers running because we just can not afford $120,000 to upgrade to XP, W7 or W8 on those pieces of equipment. Just last year we retired our last Win95 computer because we replace that piece of equipment and about three years ago we replaced our last Win3.11 system.

Also remember these numbers are coming from web page hits, I wonder what the numbers would look like if they counted all the computers that are still running the older OSs and not being used to browse the net. Just in our lab the XP boxes out number the W7 boxes, with no W8 boxes here yet not to mention the two remaining NT4 ones. I would bet if you listed all computers in use that XP still outnumbers W7 by a good margin.

What is amazing is that "Other" is right there with W8.

I've yet to see people throw out a new-ish desktop PC in favor of a mobile device (tablet/laptop) when the other works. I'm definitely with the opinion that folks are not going to replace a newer, fast machine with a new device until it's old and too slow or it just doesn't work anymore. Some people will buy new devices because they are more mobile, but not enough to make a difference. I agree that mobile devices have made some huge improvements, but I still think consumers won't upgrade to those until their current machines are ready to be replaced.

Especially in this economy. Taking a 2% pay cut due to the tax hike at the first of the year didn't help either. I would like to upgrade my main computer at home from the AthlonXP M 2400 with ATI X700, but I am waiting until I have more money. The only reason I even want to upgrade it is to do faster reprocessing of the astrophotos I take with my telescope and converted webcam, but for the money I can still live with what I have.

Windows 8 adoption rates are slowing down. What that tells me is that the few people out there who like 8, bought it. Now the 'real numbers' are being reflected by the rest of us who don't like it and are not buying it.

2 months after being out, Windows 8 has a smaller market share than Vista did after 2 months, and no one (almost) liked Vista.

You can see the initial uptick at release until people realized what a turd they had and it slowed down even more so than Vista...kind of funny since a couple of "changes" could turn it around but MS and the fan boys keep screaming "change is good" and refuse to budge! Get tired of hearing that old cliche when its been proven wrong quite often.

Who are the idiots who are still using XP?

Guess there are too many idiot who need to get thier work done.
(Here's a new Windows 7 system, sorry it doesn't run half the programs you need to do your job)

There are still tons of apps and custom software that don't support anything later than XP. Until these apps are replaced, people will still be running XP, just like some people are still running Windows 2k, NT and even Windows 98.

There are still tons of apps and custom software that don't support anything later than XP. Until these apps are replaced, people will still be running XP, just like some people are still running Windows 2k, NT and even Windows 98.

That is somewhat of an issue with us.

We have some software that is 10+ years old that runs great on XP (ran great on 98, too). We are either stuck on that old version because moving to a newer version is too cost prohibitive, or it breaks compatibility with something else that we need. Other times, it is because the manufacturer is gone and a suitable replacement has never been looked at (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). A lot of it is programmers that just don't want to upgrade their software to the newer OS (internally).

XP works great. Some machines we have aren't connected to the network and run certain equipment (that is also a decade old). To move to Windows 7 or greater would require some tweaks. But, to do that, we'd need to replace the machine and software and take the machine out of operation. There is no other machine to replace it with at this time. So, it's not too easy to do.

As far as workstations, we are moving as many as we can to Windows 7. Those few stragglers that require XP will move on later when the software is updated.

I totally respect that some people in these forums like Windows 8. We get it and .. good for you. No, seriously. Whatever makes you happy.

But I would ask that you ask around and really, it won't take too many people before it should become clear to you that the vast majority of us absolutely will not or ever will use Windows 8 unless that stupid tablet screen is removed and the start button is replaced ( OFFICIALLY ) from Microsoft. Or, at the very least users given the choice to turn those options or or off.

I very rarely see fans of Windows 8 acknowledging the obvious and trust me, that's annoying to the rest of us 99% percenters.

What's the obvious? The larger forced icons on the desktop, lack of a start menu, the advertisements, the complete and total feeling that the metro ui feels like it's own OS strapped onto the back of Windows 7, splitting important content and options between the two different environments, zero love for power users, yeah, us here at HardOCP. Why can I not customize the metro ui or many other aspects of the os like I could in Windows 7, give us a handshake instead of a closed fist when it comes to 3rd party social apps integrating with Microsofts big apps. Let us pick and decide what we want displayed where and what apps we want to use, and the most obvious, Windows 8 presents no compelling reason for a user to upgrade, period. At the end of a day of Windows 8, that’s all you’re left with. Minus a few fun features here and there (Storage Space, File History, Shutdown Hibernation, et cetera), there’s little more than window dressing to inspire users to flock to their local Microsoft stores upon Window 8’s final release. Windows 8 is, for lack of a better word, a new makeup kit for Windows 7.

This is why Windows 8 is failing for experts, corporations, and the all important end user.

When Vista was released people were still purchasing a new PC every couple of years, plus there were far fewer mobile devices that captured peoples wallets like today.

Also, lets not forget that the economy was by far in a much better place when Vista was released.

Another point you might consider is that XP although revered now was generally a POS in many ways unlike Win7 so people were at the time eager to try something new.

This is not a apples to apples comparison.

Mostly corporate users and casual PC users, I'd imagine.

We have about 3000 computers in the environment at my work. 90%+ are windows xp, and when we reimage a machine we prefer to stick with windows xp. Its easier to support, its easier for the user and it runs really well on our 8 year old dells.

However, in the last three months... When a pc comes in new enough to have sata ports. I throw in an SSD and load windows 7 on it.

Back