Windows 8 Sales Rate Higher Than Windows 7

HardOCP News

[H] News
If these numbers hold up, Windows 8 could actually end up being a hit for Microsoft. Could all those Windows 8 naysayers end up with egg on their faces? :eek:

"We're above where we were with Windows 7," Ballmer told the audience at an event launching new phones running Microsoft's phone software called Windows Phone 8. Windows 7 is the best-selling version of Windows so far, selling more than 670 million licenses in three years since release in 2009.

Those numbers don't say anything about how people are liking it, though.
Who knows, Win 8 might be a a big hit - but I'd wait for some reports beyond the first weekend.

At my office we were joking about how MS would make some sort of "most successful Windows yet" claim, but I never guessed it would be this quickly.

I actually like Windows 8.

However, it's not exactly apples to apples... Windows 7 was much more expensive. Windows 8 is very cheap in comparison to previous versions.

However, I believe this is on purpose, as they want as many people running it as possible For a few reasons... Their App Store, unified solution, to help people be comfortable with their tablets and phone options.

Only 670 million units sold in three years? No wonder Microsoft's so desperate to dip their wick into tablets. You can't make any decent money selling 670 million copies of a piece of software, after all.

Yeah, that's sarcasm.

Only 670 million units sold in three years? No wonder Microsoft's so desperate to dip their wick into tablets. You can't make any decent money selling 670 million copies of a piece of software, after all.

Yeah, that's sarcasm.

Rightly or wrongly, lack of ambition doesn't endear you to your share holders.

So Steve Ballmer says it's selling better then Windows 7. Couldn't possibly be lying so nobody would discredit this potentially big blunder of an OS?

I think it's too early for anyone to look at sales and call it a success. I'm predicting that you'll find a lot of laptops and desktops who wanna go back to Windows 7. Much like the fiasco with Vista. The only people interested in this OS are tablet users, who will likely have issues with the RT version.

Also consider that a lot of people wouldn't upgrade to 7 so quickly, due to how bad Vista was. That may play a factor into this.

What is it they say about three kinds of lie ... Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics ;) ... I just read an article this morning where they said MS had a goal of getting 70% of its enterprise customers converted to Windows 7 ... not Windows 8 ... so I think they are going to play lots of statistical games with these numbers for a bit :)

Installed Windows 8 Pro over the weekend and I'm enjoying so far. Cant say that I miss 7 at all.

Does this include OEM copies or upgrades? I think that OEMs are big on Win8 because it has that consumer grade cellphoneification that they are all wanting to get in on.

From microcenter:

Windows 8 upgrade: $39.99 (retail disc included)
Windows 7 home premium OEM $109.99
Windows 7 pro OEM $149.99
Windows 7 home premium retail $199.99 (I don't think microcenter sells many)

Yea, color me shocked. I've been playing games on consumer preview and it hasn't been much more painful than xp (everything else gets done on Linux). I suspect that anyone who can't name exactly where the control panel icons are in windows 7 won't care which they get.

So Steve Ballmer says it's selling better then Windows 7. Couldn't possibly be lying so nobody would discredit this potentially big blunder of an OS?

I think it's too early for anyone to look at sales and call it a success. I'm predicting that you'll find a lot of laptops and desktops who wanna go back to Windows 7. Much like the fiasco with Vista. The only people interested in this OS are tablet users, who will likely have issues with the RT version.

Also consider that a lot of people wouldn't upgrade to 7 so quickly, due to how bad Vista was. That may play a factor into this.

Vista was never mass downgraded, it's an internet myth. Being in this debate constantly in the Vista years, I checked and Net Market Share's numbers almost exactly matched MS' sales numbers at all times.

If Balmer lied, it would be easily discoverable when Net Market Share, et al. release their updated web stats, so I find it unlikely he would. Maybe, just maybe, you are wrong and everybody doesn't hate Windows 8?

Right now it's $15 if you bought a computer recently and only $40 if you're upgrading. I don't ever remember any Windows OS priced this competitively. We'll see how the sales numbers shake out at full price (which is still lower than Windows 7 full price was).

Microsoft could likely be selling even more if there was more stock on store shelves. I personally know of two B&M Staples locations that were sold out by Saturday afternoon. I got the last copy at the second one!

Lets see how much money they made in comparison to Windows 7, number of licenses aside.

Those numbers don't say anything about how people are liking it, though.
Who knows, Win 8 might be a a big hit - but I'd wait for some reports beyond the first weekend.

At my office we were joking about how MS would make some sort of "most successful Windows yet" claim, but I never guessed it would be this quickly.

This will be the most successful windows version because it's unbelievably well thought out. They had wonderful execution on their launch and an overwhelmingly positive response from people who were willing to give it a try.

Sales numbers won't matter to naysayers. Just look at how many people still bitch about the ribbon in Office and sales of it are better than ever. I think that Windows 8 has enough unique capabilities as a single OS to do well and that's it's not nearly as bad on the desktop as many claim. It does have a learning curve but I don't think that it's will be particularly high for most with proper training that isn't that time consuming.

Lets see how much money they made in comparison to Windows 7, number of licenses aside.

If you include Windows Store profits in there, it could be quite a bit more than Windows 7 ever did..

15 dollar upgrades due to no confirmation of a pc being bought helps. I was planning on upgrading my wife to 8, but I was going to stick with 7, but when I can do both for 15 bucks each it was a no brainer.

Right now it's $15 if you bought a computer recently and only $40 if you're upgrading. I don't ever remember any Windows OS priced this competitively. We'll see how the sales numbers shake out at full price (which is still lower than Windows 7 full price was).

He's also probably including the phone and tablet version.

1. It's being sold as low as $15, and Windows 7 has NEVER been that cheap. You can barely get W7 for under $100. When the price points are even, the comparison is valid.

2. It's being sold as an operating system for ARM devices as well as workstations, and there are many, many more new ARM devices out there than there are non-ARM devices. Again, invalid comparison.

So, no. And that goes to their tireless fanboy a few posts up.

Considering that the pricing for Win 8 is *far* cheaper than the initial roll out for 7, and the hardware requirements are the same or *lower* I'm hearing in some cases, even I am considering buying a licence for when I get around to cobbling together a replacement for my parents ancient system (8 years old) instead of reusing Win 7. Mind you they don't use the system much mainly for browsing and email, so I probably won't do it til the 1st service pack ships but I consider it a fairly priced upgrade.

With all of us that bought "new" Win 7 machines :D, the $15 promotion is providing those numbers a nice boost.

Thats upgrade pricing.The OEM full copies are priced right where Win 7 is/was. Considering the nature of this site, it is a relvant point.

Sales numbers won't matter to naysayers.
Because sales has more to do with smart marketing than anything else.
Just look at how many people still bitch about the ribbon in Office and sales of it are better than ever.
Office is still a good product despite the ribbon, not because of it. Also you had a lot of people buying it because of docx and an inability to open it sufficiently (I know that's why both my parents have it and a large part of the reason I bought it).

Anyone know if the Win 8 upgrade can be burned to disk & used as a fresh install?

The upgrade adviser allows the option to create an ISO or a bootable USB stick. You still need an existing copy of Windows on your hard drive before installing (whether it's XP, Vista, 7, or the release preview), but you can choose to "Keep Nothing" when asked.

Microsoft was smart. The "upgrades" are boosting sales numbers and getting people off the fence who otherwise never would have moved away from Windows 7 (like me).

After changing, I feel that Windows 8 is a remarkably refined OS, better in just about every way than Windows 7 (Which I LOVED). Microsoft's strategy with the upgrade pricing and relaxed install rules have converted people like me from not caring one bit, to actively supporting Win 8. Microsoft isn't stupid, they've been doing this a long time, and this strategy was not an accident. Well played...

Vista was never mass downgraded, it's an internet myth. Being in this debate constantly in the Vista years, I checked and Net Market Share's numbers almost exactly matched MS' sales numbers at all times.

If Balmer lied, it would be easily discoverable when Net Market Share, et al. release their updated web stats, so I find it unlikely he would. Maybe, just maybe, you are wrong and everybody doesn't hate Windows 8?

I personally know a significant number of people/companies/businesses that either stayed with xp or did downgrade from Vista. I personally switched to linux (using xp as I had to) until 7 came out. Even if Windows 8 does somehow end up being a selling a lot of copies, that alone does not make it a good OS.

Hell yeah it is!
I got it for $15, you could only get that on 7's release though MS sales programs or technet/MSDN.
I would be VERY surprised if their number weren't better than 7, considering.

We just our first tech call today asking how to get the start menu back....yup this is going to end well.

They got me to buy three copies. It isn't perfect, but I am certainly not disappointed.

When could you ever do fresh install from an upgrade disc?

Are you new here?

I installed Windows 7 from an upgrade disc several times.

Install ---> Don't Activate ---> Install again ---> Activate

Worked like a charm even on fresh drives.

Thats upgrade pricing.The OEM full copies are priced right where Win 7 is/was. Considering the nature of this site, it is a relvant point.

Except OEM is now pretty much full for a typical user (please read your rights at http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx ). Windows 8 OEM is 95 euros, Windows 7 Home Premium FPP was around 130 euros from Amazon UK and 170 euro in local shops. Windows 8 Pro OEM is 130 euros, compared to Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate FPP for over 200 euros.

So please don't say the new System Builder (OEM) with Personal Use Licence is priced where the FPP version was, because it is not.

When Microsoft is shoving a bunch of new Win8 hardware (tablets/convertible laptops) down your throat, then I'm sure at first there will be sales spikes. Windows 7 didn't get the same treatment.

I installed Windows 7 from an upgrade disc several times.

Install ---> Don't Activate ---> Install again ---> Activate

Worked like a charm even on fresh drives.

can you skip the previous window install check?

When Microsoft is shoving a bunch of new Win8 hardware (tablets/convertible laptops) down your throat, then I'm sure at first there will be sales spikes. Windows 7 didn't get the same treatment.

Yes, and you have to remember people are very very stupid. :D

Back