Windows 8 RTM vs win8 release preview

Not silly sounding at all, and I have a feeling just using the words 'silly sounding' is going to just encourage his type. Web interfaces are intuitive, natural, well liked, and potentially powerful, web interface (as he uses it) is just another buzz word to scare hard core pc users since if they do not understand the breadth of technologies web interfaces encompasses they will probably think of some of the simpler web sites on the net, and say 'aw hell no' or whatever.

Fair enough, all I was saying is that web interfaces are probably the most widely used UIs on a PC. And the notion that Metro is geared to web UIs is well, one can created whatever UI that want with WinRT. Heck it even supports DX.

I mention Windows 8's tablet capabilities all of the time. I've used it for a year everyday across a variety of touch devices, 2 pure slate tablets and a convertible tablet PC, all with at least two touch points and a Wacom pen digitizer.

My experience with it on these devices, devices that weren't even optimized for Windows 8, is simply not consistent with your analysis of it being "crap". I'd be happy to discuss it in detail. But of course being brainwashed I guess only someone like you who hasn't used it are the only people that can come to non-brainwashed conclusions.

Thats a load of horse shit. Tablets are tablets, slate tablet is still a tablet there is no reason win8 shouldn't or couldn't run. I have a msi windpad and it ran 7,8 is not an issue. The problem is that the interface on 8 sucks on a tablet. You still need a physical keyboard because the tablet interface still blows. On screen keyboard has no window button but has an emote button, Android and iOS have equivalent of their windows buttons. Shit just takes longer to do a on windows tablet then on an android/iOS tablet end of story. Why because 8 has two interfaces, Metro and Desktop.
Example this goes both IOS and Android press the settings button it takes you to the settings which you can do a lot of customization even controlling hardware. Go to 8 settings and you get fuck all to control but then you need to go to control panel or system properties and that switches you to the desktop interface for 8 interface. Android and iOS have a continuity of the UI where as 8 doesn't.

Its essentially like Desktop being a Semi Truck(heavy load/multitasking( and Metro/Android/iOS(single app focus) being a Ferrari. Why would you bring a Semi to the Track to race a Ferrari or a Ferrari to a Semit Truck pull. Whats worse 8 is a Semrrari a mongrel mutant of the semi and ferrari, which it does shity job on either the PC and Tablet enviornment. Not enough time was spent on either platform to be any good either way. Imho its all to sell you crap from the microsoft store and feed you useless fluff and microsoft bullshit cloud services.
If I want to get my useless fluff I will go to reddit/4chan/9gag/hardocp/genmay/random news site rather then MS telling me what I should read and sign up. Why is it that the windows live bullshit wasn't intergrated after you setup the os but rather during it. Most people especially will think you need this shit. 8 Feels like a Carrier controlled phone.

So now Microsoft will know when I've installed Grand Theft Auto: Vice City?

THIS CANNOT STAND.

You are comparing IOS & Android to a full blown Desktop, laptop, tablet OS like Windows 8. Those two are not even in the same league in what Windows 8 is for.

Windows 8 can do far more than what those two can do on a tablet as well. The interface of windows 8 is geared to touch or desktop use. I love the folks that bash Windows 8 because they hate change and anything that disrupts their world of non adaptation it has to be destroyed at all cost.

I'll keep crying my tears of how windows 8 doesn't act like android or IOS on my tablet. I'll cry as well about my such crappy desktop running windows 8 because the interface makes my world crash around me by it's such ugly mash of interfaces. :rolleyes:

Windows 8 makes me feel so bad I guess I'm going to set my electronics on fire.:rolleyes:

Just grow up.....If you don't like it fine. But the bashing of it so that others will stop using it just gets old.....childish old. Go on and use what's good for you and stop with the crying and bashing.

"...immediately tell Microsoft about every app you download and install. "

No thanks. Another "feature" of the great Windows 8 disabled. Fuck, I've disabled more shit with this OS that I have enabled at this point.

Thats a load of horse shit. Tablets are tablets, slate tablet is still a tablet there is no reason win8 shouldn't or couldn't run. I have a msi windpad and it ran 7,8 is not an issue. The problem is that the interface on 8 sucks on a tablet. You still need a physical keyboard because the tablet interface still blows. On screen keyboard has no window button but has an emote button, Android and iOS have equivalent of their windows buttons. Shit just takes longer to do a on windows tablet then on an android/iOS tablet end of story. Why because 8 has two interfaces, Metro and Desktop.

No it's not a lot or horse shit. How many touch devices have you tried Windows 8 on. I currently have it on three, an Asus EP121 Slate, a Lenovo x220t and a Samsung Series 7 Slate and the touch experience on those devices is considerably different among all three. The x220t touch digitizer simply isn't as good as the other two, the S7S is nearly flawless. And we went over this the other day, yes there are accessory keys in one of the tablet modes. You know this and yet still want to not be accurate about it. And you don't need the Windows key with Metro apps.

Look, if you don't like Windows 8 that's fine, but you're simply not conveying the facts accurately and you've not used Windows 8 on multiple touch devices so you can't have possibly seen how different hardware behaves and it's not at all all the same by a long shot.

Example this goes both IOS and Android press the settings button it takes you to the settings which you can do a lot of customization even controlling hardware. Go to 8 settings and you get fuck all to control but then you need to go to control panel or system properties and that switches you to the desktop interface for 8 interface. Android and iOS have a continuity of the UI where as 8 doesn't.

All of the major settings that one needs are in the Metro Control Panel, networking, printers, Bluetooth, it's all there. Have you ever added a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard or headset or printer using only touch in Windows 8? You can even install updates through it. Yes, some things you can't do like manage Storage Spaces which is something that one simply isn't going to do on a tablet.

Your information is simply not correct and reflects that you have little if any real experience with touch in Windows 8 because it's so demonstrably wrong.

Last edited:
"...immediately tell Microsoft about every app you download and install. "

No thanks. Another "feature" of the great Windows 8 disabled. Fuck, I've disabled more shit with this OS that I have enabled at this point.

Then don't use it. Problem solved and you don't have to worry about Windows 8, at least personally.

Latest Win8 Tidbit. It sends Micrsoft info on everything you install:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/08...-tells-microsoft-about-everything-you-install

This is typical Windows scaremongering and Microsoft bashing. It's not like every other tech company doesn't do far worse - Apple tracks everywhere you go and stores god knows what, they don't even admit fault, Google sends every single search term, url you click on etc. The Smart screen filter isn't even new to Win 8. And given the scrutiny they're always under, I trust MS more to anonymize this data than someone like Apple.

Last edited:
This is typical Windows scaremongering and Microsoft bashing. It's not like every other tech company does far worse - Apple tracks everywhere you go and stores god knows what, they don't even admit fault, Google sends every single search term, url you click on etc. The Smart screen filter isn't even new to Win 8. And given the scrutiny they're always under, I trust MS more to anonymize this data than someone like Apple.

I agree. How is this any different than when Firefox (or maybe it is Google doing it for them) offers up the "this page may be malware" when you go to a possibly comprimised website? Oh no, Firefox knows my browsing history! What ever will we do?

Its essentially like Desktop being a Semi Truck(heavy load/multitasking( and Metro/Android/iOS(single app focus) being a Ferrari. Why would you bring a Semi to the Track to race a Ferrari or a Ferrari to a Semit Truck pull. Whats worse 8 is a Semrrari a mongrel mutant of the semi and ferrari, which it does shity job on either the PC and Tablet enviornment. Not enough time was spent on either platform to be any good either way. Imho its all to sell you crap from the microsoft store and feed you useless fluff and microsoft bullshit cloud services.
If I want to get my useless fluff I will go to reddit/4chan/9gag/hardocp/genmay/random news site rather then MS telling me what I should read and sign up. Why is it that the windows live bullshit wasn't intergrated after you setup the os but rather during it. Most people especially will think you need this shit. 8 Feels like a Carrier controlled phone.

What are you talking about? Why do you want a Windows key on the on screen keyboard so bad?

What are you talking about? Why do you want a Windows key on the on screen keyboard so bad?

I think he's just trying to find anything he can to bash, even if it's not true as in this case because one of the modes of the onscreen keyboard does indeed have a Windows key. That post was so factually incorrect that it's difficult to believe that it was written by anyone that's used Windows 8 on a tablet for any substantial length of time.

I think he's just trying to find anything he can to bash, even if it's not true as in this case because one of the modes of the onscreen keyboard does indeed have a Windows key. That post was so factually incorrect that it's difficult to believe that it was written by anyone that's used Windows 8 on a tablet for any substantial length of time.

Well because I use keyboard shortcuts. Desktop or Metro I use them and since Windows requires a combination of keys for shortcuts its kind of a pain in the ass to do anything with out one.

This is typical Windows scaremongering and Microsoft bashing. It's not like every other tech company doesn't do far worse - Apple tracks everywhere you go and stores god knows what, they don't even admit fault, Google sends every single search term, url you click on etc. The Smart screen filter isn't even new to Win 8. And given the scrutiny they're always under, I trust MS more to anonymize this data than someone like Apple.

This.

P.S. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/25/windows8_smartscreen_spying/ Microsoft response.

Well because I use keyboard shortcuts. Desktop or Metro I use them and since Windows requires a combination of keys for shortcuts its kind of a pain in the ass to do anything with out one.

I'm not trying to be an asshole and I know that I get a lot of flack for being a Microsoft fan boy, but the reality is simply that I use Windows (and have for a long time) every day on tablets and have for years, even before the iPad and Android devices. This is a hardware enthusiast forum, at least so I thought, and I simply know Windows on tablets.

So I apologize for being harsh but Windows is entering into a territory that I simply know well. I simply don't know but of a handful of cases, like doing a print screen where the Windows key or any accessory keys are needed to use Windows . The only case that I've come across needing this capability was printing a screen in Windows 8 with touch.

Maybe you know of other situations, Again, I am far more concerned with understanding than critique. If you know something I don't or if there's something you like to know I am more than willing to exchange information. I just don't care for endless bashing of things, be it Windows 8 or Linux or anything that isn't backed by experience,

Has anyone found a new hack to enable the side-by-side ability for Metro apps on a resolution lower than 1366x768 in RTM? I have a 1280x800 tablet I'd like to enable it on, but the old hacks don't work. I've searched, but maybe it's called something specific and I'm just using the wrong search terms? It's not also called snap is it?

Has anyone found a new hack to enable the side-by-side ability for Metro apps on a resolution lower than 1366x768 in RTM? I have a 1280x800 tablet I'd like to enable it on, but the old hacks don't work. I've searched, but maybe it's called something specific and I'm just using the wrong search terms? It's not also called snap is it?

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that this even existed. It's really awesome to see someone actually working Windows 8 instead of mindlessly bashing it for a change,:)

Do you have any links about this hack, as I said, I had no idea that it even existed. Most Metro apps I've tried thus far don't work particularly well in the side view. The Bing app is pretty sweet with it and the Slapdash podcaster is my second favorite.

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...ap-feature-and-how-to-snap-metro-application/

I was watching a youtube video and wanted so badly to snap it to the side and multitask in metro (metro4lyfe) while lounging in my easy chair. And I just caught up in this thread, Got damn you Win8 haters go make a thread and take your shits in it over there. This is for Preview --> RTM shit and you just wasted an assload of my time. Those of you that posted helpful stuff in this thread thanks, it's good stuff. I started using Win8 on a touch tablet (Acer W500) and now I have absolutely no issue using it on my desktop. Even if I hadn't started that way, the big picture is so awesome and easy that to say otherwise is just whining. Here's a great youtube video covering WHY WIN8 WHYYYYY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzUzBXvyJJE

You owe it to yourself to watch the entire 6 part deal to get the big picture. (but seriously go make another thread)

Also holy shit, you can control-c/v/x with the onscreen keyboard. How cool is that?

Got a question for all you Win 8 users. I'm thinking of upgrading, but I have a 7" USB side-car monitor I use with some gadgets to monitor my computer real-time (things like GPU Meter, Drives Meter, Network Meter, Core Temp). Is that kind of tool available now in Win 8 - some kind of live tile gadget equivalent?

Back