Windows 8 RTM vs win8 release preview

Why is it so hard to believe that someone can use Windows 8 and not like it? Why do people always claim 'you didn't try it' or 'you didn't give it enough time' or 'you hate change' as if it was such a wonderful OS that anyone who used it must fall in love with it?

I've been using Win 8 since it was first revealed, through all the releases, and it has a number of serious issues which have been well documented. Experienced/power users will hate it, and so will new inexperienced users. The only group it appeals to is people with enough computer skills and little familiarity with Windows, if they happen to like the new UI.
Why is it so hard to believe that your personal opinion of Windows 8 is not representative of the rest of the world? I'd say I'm an experienced user of Windows and I like Windows 8, so I'm a living refutation of your beliefs.

I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect, far from it. But I will say that the vast majority of complaints that I've seen about it seem to be churlish whining from folks who simply want to keep on using Windows 7. That's fine. Keep on using Windows 7.

I don't think any one who enjoys Windows 8 has bothered to troll a Windows 7 thread, but the folks who prefer Windows 7 sure seem to flock to the Windows 8 threads to thread crap. Now you may not be trolling these threads, but many are. Just don't take it personally when the Windows 8 supporters fire back at the Windows 8 haters.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone can use Windows 8 and not like it? Why do people always claim 'you didn't try it' or 'you didn't give it enough time' or 'you hate change' as if it was such a wonderful OS that anyone who used it must fall in love with it?

I've said plenty of times I very well understand and even empathize with those who do not like Windows 8 especially if all they have every used it with is a keyboard and mouse. However there are things that a lot of Windows 8 opponents that say that simply doesn't add up or is technically incorrect or just are things that at the end of the day are just not that important thus leading me to wonder just how much many of them actually have used it or tried to at least think about how to use the OS for what it is rather than trying to make it out to be Windows 7.

The thing that's most odd about that opponents say I think is that this UI is dumbed down for tablets. Actually, the UI is quite sophisticated even if you don't like it. Windows 8, even if you think sucks, incorporates very deep support for keyboards, mice, touch and pens, well beyond anything in existence today. And it does indeed make the UI more complex because of all that it does though I don't think it's at the level of rocket science. It is an issue but the payoff is being able to use Windows across form factors and input methods. This is the gamble that Microsoft is taking and it may not work but I think it's a gamble worth taking considering market conditions.

I've been using Win 8 since it was first revealed, through all the releases, and it has a number of serious issues which have been well documented. Experienced/power users will hate it, and so will new inexperienced users. The only group it appeals to is people with enough computer skills and little familiarity with Windows, if they happen to like the new UI.

What serious issues other than things being different? I've shown Windows 8 to many non-technical people and they liked it overall. But yes, I demo Windows 8 on tablets and yes, as I said with touch it's a much more interesting beast to the casual observer. The most serious technical issue with Windows 8 that I've seen having used it from day one of the Developer Preview daily across virtually all form factors is the multi-monitor behavior of Metro. It's very quirky, manageable once you understand the behavior but better multi-monitor support for Metro I think needs to be Microsoft's #1 priority.

this is exactly what I've noticed.

My daughter took to it right away, not because she's a power user, but because she had no problem finding IE to get to facebook, and iTunes to get to her music. And just like with Windows 7, she really could care less about anything else.

My mother-in-law was absolutely frozen in terror. She's deathly afraid of anything that even remotely looks different. She literally has a sticky note on her monitor outlining every step she needs to take to check her email, open her web browser, or to get to a website. She lives in fear of hitting the wrong button and screwing up her computer (one too many nasty episodes of ransom-ware from clicking bad links will do that to some people). She was almost in tears when I showed her Windows 8.

My wife only cares about learning how to use something when she absolutely has to. If it's not something she uses every day she simply never bothers to remember it. It's taken me years to get her to use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and she still forgets how to do it. To her, a computer is just a tool she uses to get work done. She took one look at Windows 8 and said, "I don't care about this, my [Windows Vista] computer works fine".

But these things are in All Programs in the App Screen. I guess all I was thinking is that for most of the people that are complaining about Windows 8 here are I figured advanced users. If they are so adverse to the Start Screen I just imagined they would know how to run desktop apps from File Explorer as that's been in Windows forever. All the Start Menu really was a thin wrapper around the file system with some hard coded favorites and a search box. All of it is in File Explorer I think except Jump Lists.
I see what I was missing. Clicking Search on the Charm bar and moving right is almost exactly the same as clicking the Start Menu and clicking All Programs, down to the groups matching the folders. I am not used to going to the Charm bar or associating old Start - All Programs with Charm bar - Search.

My only touch capable device doesn't run Windows 8 well (Atom 2600 with Intel GMA 3600/PowerVR SGX545: Intel hasn't released Windows 8 graphic drivers for it and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do), and I think these new elements are more intuitive in a touch environment (or at least I think I would find learning it easier in that environment).

I do agree that many of the changes probably work better on a tablet. So why put them on the desktop? And the idea is of course is that more and more people will be using tablets, hybrids and touch screen devices moving forward. So while an option to disable the Modern UI would placate some today it would be an option to keep Windows solely desktop and that's just not where the computing market it going.

I do agree that many of the changes probably work better on a tablet. So why put them on the desktop? And the idea is of course is that more and more people will be using tablets, hybrids and touch screen devices moving forward. So while an option to disable the Modern UI would placate some today it would be an option to keep Windows solely desktop and that's just not where the computing market it going.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Disabling Modern UI on non-touch doesn't mean it can't be used on a touch device. You keep repeating this and I don't understand what you are trying to say.

In fact Windows can very easily tailor the UI for most effective use based on the device.

What you're saying is because tablets are a growing market everyone should pay the price of a less efficient UI which is tailored for touch. 'one UI fits all' is a terrible idea no matter how hard Microsoft tries to force it down users throats.

Why is it so hard to believe that your personal opinion of Windows 8 is not representative of the rest of the world? I'd say I'm an experienced user of Windows and I like Windows 8, so I'm a living refutation of your beliefs.

I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect, far from it. But I will say that the vast majority of complaints that I've seen about it seem to be churlish whining from folks who simply want to keep on using Windows 7. That's fine. Keep on using Windows 7.

I don't think any one who enjoys Windows 8 has bothered to troll a Windows 7 thread, but the folks who prefer Windows 7 sure seem to flock to the Windows 8 threads to thread crap. Now you may not be trolling these threads, but many are. Just don't take it personally when the Windows 8 supporters fire back at the Windows 8 haters.

My personal opinion doesn't matter, and in fact I use Windows 8. The issues are objective - its less efficient for many tasks - relying on mouse gestures to simulate touch, right click in Modern UI showing up as a app bar at the bottom instead of at the mouse cursor, users needing to learn and navigate 2 different interfaces, task switchers, settings panels, inconsistent behavior etc. These are facts, not opinions.

I agree there can be the usual irrational hate and MS bashing, but significantly, this is the first OS from MS I can recall that many diehard Windows fans and supporters are vocal about - not because they hate it or won't use it, but because MS has refused to justify the changes and have targeted touch devices only.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Disabling Modern UI on non-touch doesn't mean it can't be used on a touch device. You keep repeating this and I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Windows 8 is a hybrid. It's always a tablet and a desktop, not either or. The refrigerator that most people have in their homes is also a freezer and always a freezer. When you want to refrigerate something you put it the refrigerator compartment and if
want to freeze something you put it in the freezer. The average refrigerator is a hybrid device that always serves both purposes simultaneously side-by-side and items are refrigerated or frozen based on which compartment the item is placed.

This is how Windows 8 works. Side-by-side operation of the desktop and the Modern UI and you use the UI you want to based on what type of app it is.

In fact Windows can very easily tailor the UI for most effective use based on the device.

More effective or more familiar? I freely admit that there is a learning curve with Windows 8 but I just don't buy the inherently less efficient argument simply because I've used it daily for a year doing everything I've done with Windows 7 and once I got used to 8 I didn't get anything done faster when using Windows 7. Offices, Visual Studio, games, web browsers etc., the things I use, where I spend 99.9% of my time on a PC are not less efficient in 8.

What you're saying is because tablets are a growing market everyone should pay the price of a less efficient UI which is tailored for touch. 'one UI fits all' is a terrible idea no matter how hard Microsoft tries to force it down users throats.

Maybe it is a bad idea but no one have ever tried anything like Windows 8, not to this extent and it's not just the OS. There's a whole new generation of software and hardware to support it.

My personal opinion doesn't matter, and in fact I use Windows 8. The issues are objective - its less efficient for many tasks - relying on mouse gestures to simulate touch, right click in Modern UI showing up as a app bar at the bottom instead of at the mouse cursor, users needing to learn and navigate 2 different interfaces, task switchers, settings panels, inconsistent behavior etc. These are facts, not opinions.

But there's nothing here that's inherently less efficient once you figure these things out. It's really no different than knowing how to use a PC and a tablet, they just happen to be the one in the same with Windows 8.

I agree there can be the usual irrational hate and MS bashing, but significantly, this is the first OS from MS I can recall that many diehard Windows fans and supporters are vocal about - not because they hate it or won't use it, but because MS has refused to justify the changes and have targeted touch devices only.

Have you not seen PC OEM after PC OEM report negative PC sales growth? There's the justification. And I have no ides when my keyboard and mouse only dual 1920x1200 monitor setup became a touch only device. Seems to game very well running Windows 8 with just a keyboard and mouse.

Have you not seen PC OEM after PC OEM report negative PC sales growth?

The underlying logic here is that in a market driven economy, all goods produced must aim at the lowest common denominator, which in the eyes of commercial entities are just a seamless mass of brain-dead consumers with the collective IQ of an ape and the attention span of a gold fish. So much for progress, more like paving the way for a real life idiocracy.

Personally though, while much of humanity does seem to be composed of a uniform, unthinking mess which can be easily manipulated and controlled, i have a bit more faith to the ability and aspiration of individuals to rise above the squalor and mediocrity of the majority, and i think this trend of equating commercial success with mass sales is going to byte them in the ass eventually. The entertaining industry is already on the verge of collapse because of this. The tech industry is bound to follow.

Or maybe i'm just being optimist.

Windows 8 is a hybrid. It's always a tablet and a desktop, not either or. The refrigerator that most people have in their homes is also a freezer and always a freezer. When you want to refrigerate something you put it the refrigerator compartment and if
want to freeze something you put it in the freezer. The average refrigerator is a hybrid device that always serves both purposes simultaneously side-by-side and items are refrigerated or frozen based on which compartment the item is placed.

This is how Windows 8 works. Side-by-side operation of the desktop and the Modern UI and you use the UI you want to based on what type of app it is.

That's a poor analogy as both the freezer and fridge have the same 'interface'; namely you open the door, put food in, then shut it and the task expected is performed.
No matter which function you wish to use (freezing or chilling food), the process to do so is the same.

Unless of course you have a fridge freezer where the fridge works completely as normal, but the freezer has no handle and instead requires you to randomly drag your hands all over the blank door panel looking for 'hotspots' before it opens. In which case, I take it back. :)

So what exactly does a power user need that's not there? Yes there might be an extra click to do some things

You answered your question. You can measure how much windows 8 metro sucks in terms of increased mouse clicks and mouse travel. Power users are not interested in downgrading to a worse interface.

How would you have kept Windows solely a desktop OS and competed against tablets and the mobile explosion?

I don't know and I haven't claimed to. What I do know is that no one has ever proven that TV, desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone hardware interfaces can all succeed using the same software interface. So the odds are stacked against Microsoft right now.

You answered your question. You can measure how much windows 8 metro sucks in terms of increased mouse clicks and mouse travel. Power users are not interested in downgrading to a worse interface.

This doesn't seem factual. Let's run through this again. You can still pin apps to the task bar, start up clicks the same. You can still pin apps to the desktop, start up clicks the same. Start menu vs. start screen now - to open a program in the start menu, I click the start menu (1 click), click all programs (2 clicks), potentially scroll to the folder while reading small folder names which is harder than looking for the Icon I want (3 clicks and some additional reading), click the folder (4 clicks), sometimes click a nested folder (I'll ignore this), click the small program icon (5 clicks). Ok, now the start screen. Click in the lower left (1 click), then look at big easy to recognize and easy to click icons, then click my app (2 clicks). 5 clicks vs. 2 clicks on average, so no Windows 8 having more clicks in not the answer to the question actually. You can launch your apps in fewer clicks, with less error, since in Windows 7, you have to click more, smaller targets. That's the vast majority of the use of the start menu and screen, to launch apps, so where as you guys keep saying it's more clicks in Windows 8, I can actually quantify it when I say it is less.

I think this more than makes up for, for instance, how you have to select a search category to search apps and files, at least in the vast majority of use cases. And let's not forget, there is benefit to such things as selecting a search category, as it is more organized which can improve efficiency, probably true of other things that may be more clicks in Windows 8, but that is another post.

I don't know and I haven't claimed to. What I do know is that no one has ever proven that TV, desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone hardware interfaces can all succeed using the same software interface. So the odds are stacked against Microsoft right now.

I think with Win 8, MS has shown that it can make a more efficient, beautiful OS that can equally accommodate mobile and desktop. It's just that some desktop users refuse to believe it's possible. I think it's really paranoia, they think Windows 9 will come out and all they will be able to run is phone apps or something. They just don't look at it correctly, in that Windows 8 is not about turning a PC into a phone, it's about combining two things (tablet OS + Desktop OS) into something better than either alone. They see it as the harbinger of PC doom, "Evil MS plan codenamed Kill the desktop: phase 1 - combine mobile and desktop. phase 2. eliminate desktop." That's not the goal, the goal is to create something better than either mobile or desktop by combining them, in that sense eliminating one of them would never make sense. Then there's the other users, who rationalize the OS market such that there are two types of features in Windows, good features that were copied from apple, Linux and other OSes, and bad features that MS invented. If combining tablet and desktop UIs was a good idea, they figure, apple and Linux would've already have done this. etc. It seems comical, but many people actually believe that is as reliable a rule of the OS market as general relativity is a rule of the cosmos, and that this rule need not be mentioned, simply applied to every OS argument.

Last edited:
What's an easy way to access system utilities from the desktop? Such as calculator, defrag, etc. Without using run or searching/digging them up from the Windows directory.. Is there no more a central location of tools collections?

Move mouse to lower left to bring up the Start button (in Desktop), right click. Get nice shortcut menu to all sorts of things like Control Panel, etc.

I believe it's the reasons given. "You can't do this thing" "It's meant for just touch" "My mouse doesn't work the same" "bcuz it suxors lolz"

People (besides Heatlesssun) have been pointing out either work arounds or that some issues are non issues because they work the same with KB&M yet the replies are, "No it's not because...uh..tablets and API layers and um Apple and because of Vista sucks. And I can't use the mouse/KB on odd days to do that shortcut."

If people are so dead set against the OS because they are so off put by how it looks or that they are so unwilling to change minor mouse habits, just admit it. Going on and on with hyperbole while people are constructing essays explaining, "No it works the same as Win7" does make one speculate that they haven't used the OS and are just jumping on the hate bandwagon.

That's a poor analogy as both the freezer and fridge have the same 'interface'; namely you open the door, put food in, then shut it and the task expected is performed.
No matter which function you wish to use (freezing or chilling food), the process to do so is the same.

Unless of course you have a fridge freezer where the fridge works completely as normal, but the freezer has no handle and instead requires you to randomly drag your hands all over the blank door panel looking for 'hotspots' before it opens. In which case, I take it back. :)

Wait a sec, I thought the criticism of Windows 8 here was because it DID have the same interface across the desktop and tablet? Sure, they are operated a bit differently, corners replace sides, closing an app is actually kind of the same touch or mouse, drag and drop.

But the UI is the same.

But those clicks are something that's not common. How many times a day does one really need to reboot or turn of the machines. How many times a day do you need to set compatibility mode? And there's generally to a to accomplish these things without extra clicks or with keyboard shortcuts.

Again, no one has really even tried, certainly not at this level. At least Microsoft is doing something off the beaten trial and that might be as important as anything in the long run.

Wait a sec, I thought the criticism of Windows 8 here was because it DID have the same interface across the desktop and tablet? Sure, they are operated a bit differently, corners replace sides, closing an app is actually kind of the same touch or mouse, drag and drop.

But the UI is the same.

A better analogy would be to imagine a car, a bicycle and a bulldozer having the same controls.

A better analogy would be to imagine a car, a bicycle and a bulldozer having the same controls.

If you think about the common ways that you interact with a Metro app and a desktop app, it's not as different as many are saying. The single most common interaction with an app. Metro or desktop. is single left clicking. That corresponds to a tap very well. The bulk of the complaints have to do with the size of things, color, wasted space. Drag and drop close, ok, how horrible but drag and drop is a familiar gesture on desktop. True desktop apps don't close that way. But again, the common interactions be it touch or mouse and keyboard, not so different in how you would interact with any touch device or any desktop OS.

More like something with the comfort of a car, the fuel efficiency of a bicycle, and the ability to kick ass of a bulldozer, imo. Next you're going to call it 'byrd' then I'm going to call it 'johnson' I take it.

Last edited:
Had a chance to try out the release preview and was shocked to find that i didn't mind the new interface. As a guy who uses keyboard shortcuts i found i wasn't missing the start menu at all. Aesthetically, i realky like the simplified look of the new UI ( it reminds of Amiga OS) but i find the stylistic differences the icons and the ui to be quite jarring. Does anyone know if the final version will have more continuity between these two items?

Does anyone know if the final version will have more continuity between these two items?

Not exactly sure what you mean. The desktop aesthetics are now flatter with the removal of Aero transparency. Desktop icon tiles take on the color of the theme with the icon in the center. The text on the icons is smaller now to fit more in.

Not exactly sure what you mean. The desktop aesthetics are now flatter with the removal of Aero transparency. Desktop icon tiles take on the color of the theme with the icon in the center. The text on the icons is smaller now to fit more in.

Aero in 8 has transparency, this I can assure you. It doesn't have the round, organic edges with a glossy finish like it did in Vista & 7.

Aero in 8 has transparency, this I can assure you. It doesn't have the round, organic edges with a glossy finish like it did in Vista & 7.

Yes, there is transparency, and the same engine it still there, it is less transparent and there's no setting to turn it on or off.

Yes, there is transparency, and the same engine it still there, it is less transparent and there's no setting to turn it on or off.

I'm waiting for Stardock to release a Windows 8 compatible Windowblinds. That's one way that people can get the exact appearance they want since MS decided to exclude customization options.

I'm waiting for Stardock to release a Windows 8 compatible Windowblinds. That's one way that people can get the exact appearance they want since MS decided to exclude customization options.

Used to be a pretty big user of Windowblinds but as I've gotten older I get this whole less is more thing. I just don't care about lots of superfluous ornamentation. Performance and stability. Give me that in droves and I'm happy.

Used to be a pretty big user of Windowblinds but as I've gotten older I get this whole less is more thing. I just don't care about lots of superfluous ornamentation. Performance and stability. Give me that in droves and I'm happy.

My main system has plenty of performance to go around, so I like adding on the splash of eye candy a bit. I'll probably just implement 7's appearance on top of 8 with WindowBlinds.

I have liked the default windows schemes all the way since the beginning. but that doesnt mean I support microsoft being an asshole and removing the option to customize... I oppose that behavior.

More like something with the comfort of a car, the fuel efficiency of a bicycle, and the ability to kick ass of a bulldozer, imo. Next you're going to call it 'byrd' then I'm going to call it 'johnson' I take it.

The brainwashing is complete i see. How does it feel to be a mindless drone? Ho wait, that precludes any possibility of self-realization, by definition.

BTW, i think that at this point something needs to be mentioned here that is rarely talked about. That is, the fact that Metro is absolutely dreadful not just because a desktop PC doesn't need a tablet interface, but that it is crap even by touchscreen standards. See, both iOS and Android would actually be far more functional as a desktop interface then Metro, seeing as the latter is build entirely to resemble a web interface as much as possible. I wouldn't be caught dead using such a thing on my phone. To have it on a PC is just plain absurd.

The brainwashing is complete i see. How does it feel to be a mindless drone? Ho wait, that precludes any possibility of self-realization, by definition.

I tremble before your all reaching analytical powers. /facepalm

BTW, i think that at this point something needs to be mentioned here that is rarely talked about. That is, the fact that Metro is absolutely dreadful not just because a desktop PC doesn't need a tablet interface, but that it is crap even by touchscreen standards. See, both iOS and Android would actually be far more functional as a desktop interface then Metro, seeing as the latter is build entirely to resemble a web interface as much as possible. I wouldn't be caught dead using such a thing on my phone. To have it on a PC is just plain absurd.

I have not seen proof it is a web interface, I have not seen proof a web interface can't be a decent UI. At this point, you're batting average is shit.

You wouldn't be seeing "proof" even if it was slammed in your face with a brick.

I'm wouldn't bother trying to convince your type, i'm writing for the benefit of those who can actually see it the way it is and are not blinded by hype.

You wouldn't be seeing "proof" even if it was slammed in your face with a brick.

I'm wouldn't bother trying to convince your type, i'm writing for the benefit of those who can actually see it the way it is and are not blinded by hype.

Sure seems like you're shit talking about anyone who actually doesn't agree with you. Let's all kindly agree to disagree regarding Windows 8. :rolleyes:

'Windows 8' and 'hype' don't go together. 'Windows 8' and 'hate' do go together. It could be argued that the hype in this case is to appear cool to be anti-establishment as it's been shown by lots of people in countless threads.

I mention Windows 8's tablet capabilities all of the time. I've used it for a year everyday across a variety of touch devices, 2 pure slate tablets and a convertible tablet PC, all with at least two touch points and a Wacom pen digitizer.

My experience with it on these devices, devices that weren't even optimized for Windows 8, is simply not consistent with your analysis of it being "crap". I'd be happy to discuss it in detail. But of course being brainwashed I guess only someone like you who hasn't used it are the only people that can come to non-brainwashed conclusions.

So you don't actually have anything to support your assertions, we're just supposed to accept them at face value. What difference does it make if you think I am not 'smart' enough for your proof, present it so others will not think you are a hate filled techno emo alone. The best I can see, is that you can not make an argument so you want others to inadvertently make the argument for you, a sad little strategy.

See, both iOS and Android would actually be far more functional as a desktop interface then Metro, seeing as the latter is build entirely to resemble a web interface as much as possible. I wouldn't be caught dead using such a thing on my phone. To have it on a PC is just plain absurd.

You know, this is kind of silly sounding considering that the #1 thing people use even on keyboard and mouse driven PCs are web browsers full of web interfaces. We're using one know to post these messages.

You know, this is kind of silly sounding considering that the #1 thing people use even on keyboard and mouse driven PCs are web browsers full of web interfaces. We're using one know to post these messages.

Not silly sounding at all, and I have a feeling just using the words 'silly sounding' is going to just encourage his type. Web interfaces are intuitive, natural, well liked, and potentially powerful, web interface (as he uses it) is just another buzz word to scare hard core pc users since if they do not understand the breadth of technologies web interfaces encompasses they will probably think of some of the simpler web sites on the net, and say 'aw hell no' or whatever.

Back