Windows 8 Retail Upgrade $29.99 AR ($40.00 card)

I'm happy with the new Windows 8 Pro. It's Windows 7 with improvements basically.

I would say if you are on any Windows O/S before Win 7 then get Win 8, if you have 7, it's a coin toss unless you are an IT professional and then you are forced to try all versions, lol.

I have Win 7 on my laptop and Win 8 Pro on the main rig. (XP Pro on all my backup machines, heh)

Here's what I did:
Filled out the info for the $15 deal. I put the model of a laptop that I have.
Ran the Upgrade Manager thing on that laptop (it runs 64-bit Windows 7). Bought a product key for $15.
Downloaded and ran this installer on my desktop and used it to create a bootable USB key.
Booted from the USB key, chose a Clean Install, formatted my SSD's W7 partitions, installed Windows 8 and it's been running fine ever since.

This just worked for me but I already paid $40 for the regular offer earlier. 2 copies of Windows 8 is not bad I guess for $55.

The only problem with doing it that way is that if you ever want to do a reset it will demand that USB key. If you run the installer over the net and install that way from your desktop then if you do a reset it never asks for media (which is very cool). 1 click, walk away and come back to a clean install.

Good to know! I have a ton of USB keys, so setting aside one as "recovery media" isn't a big deal and then I don't have to deal with a recovery partition taking up space on my SSD.

I'm amazed by a couple things... One, that so many would be so willing to scam the system so blatantly, and that people are still posting negative things about something they wouldn't even try... Yes, there is a curve and yes, I am still learning it myself, but it isn't THAT terrible. You all sound like children who won't even try a piece of candy because it is new. I know, my step-son does that, which is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I paid more than $15 for my install of 8, but after working with it for a few weeks, and having my wife looking over my shoulder on her Win7 box, she asked me for a copy last night... As she is usually paranoid about things like this, that SHOULD say something to you.

people really really hate microsoft and will look for any reason to bash them, news at 11.

i JUST GOT THE UPGRADE for $15 thing. I got a product key but I'm not interested in installing Windows 8 right now. Just wanna stash it away for the future when it's required for DX11.1 or something in the future.

Can I just save the product key email and come back and use that product key forever? It doesnt have any kind of expiration date, does it?

Do I have to install from the upgrade assistant or can I download a copy in some way? If I had a copy on say USB, and the key, that'd be nice I guess. I'd just stash it somewhere for later.

For now I just quit the installer, but as I said I have an email with a key.

i JUST GOT THE UPGRADE for $15 thing. I got a product key but I'm not interested in installing Windows 8 right now. Just wanna stash it away for the future when it's required for DX11.1 or something in the future.

Can I just save the product key email and come back and use that product key forever? It doesnt have any kind of expiration date, does it?

Do I have to install from the upgrade assistant or can I download a copy in some way? If I had a copy on say USB, and the key, that'd be nice I guess. I'd just stash it somewhere for later.

For now I just quit the installer, but as I said I have an email with a key.
The key should not expire so you are good there, but you should have followed through with the instructions and downloaded the OS. When I did it they had the option of USB or iso. I went with iso and burned to a DVD for later use. Maybe there is a link in your email to download later. I would check now before you forget. Also you might want to put the key in a text file and save somewhere in case the email gets lost, deleted, etc.

Back