Windows 8 Remote Desktop Issues

Bop

2[H]4U
I upgraded to Windows 8 at home and since then I've been having connection time out issues when using remote desktop + VPN.

I first had to apply this fix for Cisco Anyconnect to even get the VPN working: http://msitpros.com/?p=1204

However, now if I step away from my PC for just a minute to get a drink the connection "freezes" and I get a warning dialog about attempting to reconnect.

I've tried altering some power options to no effect (e.g. allow windows to shut down the NIC when not being used).

Could this be something on my company's end?

I upgraded to Windows 8 at home and since then I've been having connection time out issues when using remote desktop + VPN.

I first had to apply this fix for Cisco Anyconnect to even get the VPN working: http://msitpros.com/?p=1204

However, now if I step away from my PC for just a minute to get a drink the connection "freezes" and I get a warning dialog about attempting to reconnect.

I've tried altering some power options to no effect (e.g. allow windows to shut down the NIC when not being used).

Could this be something on my company's end?

I had no issues with vpn dropping until bellsouth gave me a new DSL modem, now I have VPN dropping issues as well, I am on windows 7 so I am sure it's not a windows 8 issue.Of course, if I bypass my router, the issues go away.

I use remote desktop on my Windows 8 machine & remote into my Windows 7 HTPC for updating purposes. Windows 8 constantly drops the remote desktop connection. It kills the connection as soon as you click something. If they don't get this fixed soon this is a deal breaker for me.

In the meantime I am booting into my Linux partition to remote in and that works fine.That in itself may indicate that there are no connection issues - only software issues.

I wonder what has changed enough in Windows 8 to break remote desktop in this case.

I haven't had any VPN/RDP issues on Windows 8 so far, so I imagine there isn't a widespread issue with Windows 8 and this activity, so I'd look at the problem being something other than Windows 8 (directly)...of course, that's just me speculating.

I have nothing useful to contribute to a fix but I RDP into another Win8Pro box and a Win7 Ult box without incident. I do it in the living room wirelessly.

I'm doing it from my home network, no VPN. Maybe the issue is within the VPN somewhere?

Back