Windows 8 Previews to Go Dark in 3 Weeks

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
All of you last minute freeloaders who have been using the preview copies of Windows 8, time to buy or fly. The free previews are up and will expire in three weeks. The nag screens will appear as soon as January 1st.

"You have no right to use the software after the expiration date," stated the Release Preview's end-user license agreement (EULA). "Starting from the expiration date, you may not be able to access any unsaved data used with the software

honest to god I read the title as "Windows 8 to go dark in 3 weeks" and my first reaction was not one of surprise

I bet the five or six people that used it and liked it have already purchased a release version and are happy with it.

Dl'ed it used it about one week and formatted the drive. If they want me to use this garbage, then they can pay me instead of vice-versa! :rolleyes:

I think you are confusing Windows 8 with Ubuntu 12.10. ;)

OMG, you're right! I should have said, "I bet the five or six people that used it and liked it have already purchased a release version and feel like they were ripped off," instead.

Anyhow, there you go again with the turnings of threads about Windows 8 into threads about Linux. ;) Since you brought it up though, I finally downloaded Mint 14 with Cinnamon and installed it on a mega-old Sony Vaio with like a Pentium M in it and I <3 it so far. It's much improved over Mint 11 which was the last version I really seriously messed with.

I removed it a couple of months after installing it. Way ahead of you, MS!

I felt a minor disturbance in the force... as if 5 voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

OMG, you're right! I should have said, "I bet the five or six people that used it and liked it have already purchased a release version and feel like they were ripped off," instead.

Anyhow, there you go again with the turnings of threads about Windows 8 into threads about Linux. ;) Since you brought it up though, I finally downloaded Mint 14 with Cinnamon and installed it on a mega-old Sony Vaio with like a Pentium M in it and I <3 it so far. It's much improved over Mint 11 which was the last version I really seriously messed with.

Mint, bleck.
You have to be in the mood for Mint.

LMDE is the way to go. :cool:

The mood to turn another Windows 8 thread into a Linux thread!
Now where are my cat and anime photos? We need to complete this trans-shift. :p

lr80a.jpg

It's only funny because all I read about online are people trashing it, yet most everyone I know who is in IT is using it

Typical Windows 8 basher = pure ignorant. No explanation needed. Resist change all you want but in 5 years your feeble minds will finally "get it".. well at least I'll pray for you.

It's only funny because all I read about online are people trashing it, yet most everyone I know who is in IT is using it

One has nothing to do with the other. The "people you know in IT" aren't using the thing thats getting universally panned which is Metro: a poorly-executed attempt at customer lock-in that is alienating all but the most naive/tolerant of Windows users.

I run Win8 too, and when you take Metro out of the equation (which all your IT friends are doing, or at least the ones over the age of 5) it is great under the hood since its got all the enhancements to Win7 that MS held back from providing Win7 in service packs and instead carried forward to Win8. Things like SMB3.0 w/ its SMB Multichannel.. absolutely killer stuff.

And when I say backfiring I mean the braintrust that is Julie Larson-Green and friends really believed that force-feeding tard tiles on desktop users would have the unique effect of these people going zombie brain and buying Win8 branded tablets & phones because "hey that interface looks familiar" but much like someone covering up your windshield with a sunshade while you're driving its had the opposite effect and the bulk of this group is buying anything but.

Typical Windows 8 basher = pure ignorant. No explanation needed. Resist change all you want but in 5 years your feeble minds will finally "get it".. well at least I'll pray for you.

ironically that was ignorant
HKnVr.jpg

I thought it was terrible when I installed it, so I went back to Windows 7. When I tried it again with an open mind, I realized it wasn't bad at all--in fact, I find it so good that I installed it on all my computers.

Wait, you're gonna pray for people who don't like an operating system because not liking it is ignorant? Skribbels recommend worrying about more substantial stuff than what OS someone likes or doesn't like.

Nice heels!

Oh and tell your cat the d-pad sucks and to use a better controller. :D

How can you tell they're nice? They're so blurry.

Globox owes us a pic of the heels so we can get a closer look. Go...catwalk...now! *whipcracks*

What is this... I don't even..

Wait, you're gonna pray for people who don't like an operating system because not liking it is ignorant? Skribbels recommend worrying about more substantial stuff than what OS someone likes or doesn't like.

How can you tell they're nice? They're so blurry.

Globox owes us a pic of the heels so we can get a closer look. Go...catwalk...now! *whipcracks*

no horsing around
Ivq12.jpg

It's my job to know this crap because it arrives on new laptops and I have to explain to people why they have two desktops. People with half a clue usually hate it but everyone else seems indifferent.

I really wanted to like windows 8 because i am ready for some change,but i just dont see it as any sort of improvement over windows 7. Windows 8 has made the simplest tasks frustrating. Anyone try to view pictures on windows 8? Let me break it down for you.

Click on desktop, click on folder, click on memory card, click dcim folder -- double click picture. Picture opens up in metro app -- ok great, now how do i go to the next picture? scroll wheel, nope, arrow keys, nope .. ?? wtf seriously ? i have to press ctrl-esc then click on desktop, then click on folder, then click on memory card to chose a different picture.

HOW IS THIS BETTER/FASTER, etc ? far as i can tell all the metro apps are a complete joke. watered down functionality like your once useful pc is now just a giant windows tablet. ( i say windows because if it were android it would at least still be useful )

Im planning on spending the rest of my holiday weekend rolling all my systems back to windows 7. The only way to make windows 8 useful to me is to uninstall all the metro apps and live in the desktop which is close to windows 7 as i can get... why not just run windows 7... Ive always had various bugs/crashing with various video games. I have sleep hibernation issues as well. When my computer comes on from sleep the keyboard doesnt work until i reboot -- some of this doesnt bother me as i would expect a patch or bios update pretty soon to correct that. Its the interface i dont get.

It's my job to know this crap because it arrives on new laptops and I have to explain to people why they have two desktops. People with half a clue usually hate it but everyone else seems indifferent.

If you work in the computer business then getting to know Windows 8 asap is important with keeping up with technology. Does that mean that Windows 8 is good? No, it's terrible, but like Windows ME and Vista people will own it and use it. Despite all the warnings that's been giving. Also, if you happen to get a new computer with it then you really don't have a choice.

I really wanted to like windows 8 because i am ready for some change,but i just dont see it as any sort of improvement over windows 7. Windows 8 has made the simplest tasks frustrating. Anyone try to view pictures on windows 8? Let me break it down for you.

Click on desktop, click on folder, click on memory card, click dcim folder -- double click picture. Picture opens up in metro app -- ok great, now how do i go to the next picture? scroll wheel, nope, arrow keys, nope .. ?? wtf seriously ? i have to press ctrl-esc then click on desktop, then click on folder, then click on memory card to chose a different picture.

HOW IS THIS BETTER/FASTER, etc ? far as i can tell all the metro apps are a complete joke. watered down functionality like your once useful pc is now just a giant windows tablet. ( i say windows because if it were android it would at least still be useful )

Im planning on spending the rest of my holiday weekend rolling all my systems back to windows 7. The only way to make windows 8 useful to me is to uninstall all the metro apps and live in the desktop which is close to windows 7 as i can get... why not just run windows 7... Ive always had various bugs/crashing with various video games. I have sleep hibernation issues as well. When my computer comes on from sleep the keyboard doesnt work until i reboot -- some of this doesnt bother me as i would expect a patch or bios update pretty soon to correct that. Its the interface i dont get.

1. go to download.live.com and download Windows Essentials and make sure the Photo Gallery and Movie Maker is selected.
2. install it.
3. you'll be prompted at the top right corner after the app is installed that you have a new app to view images, whether or not you want to re-associate all of your image formats to this photo app - the way Windows 7 was defaulted to.
4. done.

Ditto PDF reader: download your preferred PDF reader (FoxIt, Adobe, etc) and you'll be prompted at the top right corner that you have a new app that can open PDF documents and whether you want to re-associate PDF to FoxIt or Adobe or whatever.

its really not that hard. yes by default some file types open with a metro app but all you need to do is right click and choose the default application you want. no more full screen metro. first world crisis is over.

Or you could just utorrent a file to fix it for perm activation not that I support that though :)

If you work in the computer business then getting to know Windows 8 asap is important with keeping up with technology. Does that mean that Windows 8 is good? No, it's terrible, but like Windows ME and Vista people will own it and use it. Despite all the warnings that's been giving. Also, if you happen to get a new computer with it then you really don't have a choice.

So do I and I'm force feeding myself this garbage but I tell my clients to NOT upgrade to windows 8 especially if they are older and don't feel like learning a new OS.

Personally I hope windows 8 crashes and burns forcing MS to fire the retard that approve Metro as the default UI.

Metro UI is fundamentally incompatible with a enterprise environment as well. The retraining costs along are a good reason why IT shops will keep Windows 7 for a decade.

The replies in every Windows 8 thread in [H] make me wonder how all of these people make it in the tech world. I know for a fact I am faster on W8 than W7, I wasn't at first, but after putting in a minuscule amount of time to figure it out, going back to W7 on my work laptop is starting to feel like it did with XP and Vista. Just to see how things would turn out, I had three of the most tech-illiterate people in my try it out on their systems and I have heard nothing but good things from all of them since after the first week. So if it is more productive for hard core users and easier for everyday users after a bit of learning, who is left? People that would not upgrade no matter what was put in front of them. And if that is you, stop trying to put down a good OS that wasn't made for you and enjoy W7 or Linux for the next 5 years.

So if it is more productive for hard core users

How exactly is it more productive? Several tasks require more clicks, but other than that it's the same OS. There are no UI improvements whatsoever, especially not in the area of productivity...

My biggest problem is that it's a lazy iteration almost identical to 7 with a junk GUI to fool people that it isn't, no other improvements (the "performance" benefits don't actually exist, it's just marketing). Buying 8 would net me absolutely nothing and gain me potential issues with hard/software. I have no use for full screen phone applications and DX11.1 is unlikely to be used ever.

Just to see how things would turn out, I had three of the most tech-illiterate people in my try it out on their systems and I have heard nothing but good things from all of them since after the first week.

Well, if we're going to cite stuff that no one can prove or disprove, I gave Windows 8 to 300 tech-illiterate people in my shoe to try it out on their systems and I've heard nothing but complaints about it from them since after the first 2 months.

Well, if we're going to cite stuff that no one can prove or disprove, I gave Windows 8 to 300 tech-illiterate people in my shoe to try it out on their systems and I've heard nothing but complaints about it from them since after the first 2 months.

I'd complain too if I was crammed in a shoe with 299 other people. WTF

Back