Windows 8 Phone Live Event Started

They're spending way too much time on this Kid's Corner crap....thankfully we have Jessica Alba to watch, until she starts pitching her product...feels like I'm watching an infomercial.

Props to Belifiore for bringing his kids out on stage though, that took some balls

I don't know who to be pissed off at this point...Microsoft, Nokia or AT&T...

Still no firm date on the 920 which is the flagship of the Window 8 phone lineup and all you get is the same blanket statement "coming in November"...I mean really, is this news to anyone?

Trying not to knee-jerk, but I really think they dropped the ball here...

Still no firm date on the 920 which is the flagship of the Window 8 phone lineup and all you get is the same blanket statement "coming in November"...I mean really, is this news to anyone?

Yeah, I agree, I was hoping they'd launch the Lumia 920 directly after the launch, or at least in the coming days. Nokia and Microsoft really needs it, yet they keep on waltzing around.

As you said, it's their flagship for crying out loud.

I'm in the same boat on the 920...I wonder who is dropping the ball AT&T or Microsoft. I was expecting to see this phone on the 4th at the latest but I've seen some reports saying now its the 11th.

At least I know the exact date when it comes available here in Finland: 22.11. The actual street price will be 599 € including 23% VAT. Somewhat late compared to other European countries.

they dont have really anything new to over with WP8.. i dont see why anyone would upgrade from version 7.5

they dont have really anything new to over with WP8.. i dont see why anyone would upgrade from version 7.5

Integrated Skype?
Better multitasking?
Better tiles and lock screen screen?
Better social network integration?

At least I know the exact date when it comes available here in Finland: 22.11. The actual street price will be 599 € including 23% VAT. Somewhat late compared to other European countries.

23% VAT! :eek:

Does anyone know if the Odyssey is basically going to be the ATIV S except for Verizon with LTE?

I am also putting the 920 on my consideration list, but they need to hurry up, wth :(. Im curious about the other models too but perhaps I will wait just a little while before I do anything because I currently am an Android user.

My provider here in Canada - Rogers, had 920's on sale today and in stores. Not a whole pile, but some.

Better phones with much better specs? Dual cores, more storage, better camera with OIS (L920), twice the ram, higher resolution, NFC, , wireless charging (L920, maybe 8X), expandable memory without wiping your system (Ativ S), Pandora, decent games that probably won't run or run well on 7.5 devices.

I don't know about you but my Focus is quickly becoming slow and laggy, especially when using some of the newer apps and games. I'm looking forward to the new phones although I'm not due for an upgrade until March. I might as well not be excited about the first gen WP8 and looking forward to 2nd gen to be announced.

Rumor was that the 920 was going to launch this Sunday but it's looking more and more like next Sunday. Rogers is selling them today and a bunch of people on WPCentral have been posting about it so the phone is good to go, I guess ATT is causing the delay.

I really hope it is coming this weekend as I really miss wireless charging from my Pre and now that it's getting cold, I'm looking forward to using the phone with gloves on.

Yeh, and that one reason why we have free education all the way including universities and I actually get support money for studying. Let alone healthcare that doesn't make you go broke.

Bought mine for 480 €, two year contract but it doesn't matter since I'm not changing my subscription nor phone in that time (and it's unlocked phone). Can't wait to get it! Few weeks to go...

Last edited:
Resolution increase, dual core support, SD expandable storage...
Technically 64 core support! Yes, it supports 64 cores... Not that you'd be using 64 cores. The only mobile processor "announced" is coming in less than 10 years from Intel with 48 cores. Most programs are still not optimized for multicore support though.

Where the hell is the Lumia 920! This is getting ridiculous.

Agreed, I'm getting pretty fucking tired of waiting on AT&T and Nokia. By the time they actually get around to releasing it the hype will be dead and consumers will be ready to move on to the next hot device.

If nothing happens within the next week, I'm probably just going to end up cancelling my service with AT&T, buy an N4 from Google and set it up on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan.
Although iPhone 5's are still pretty difficult to come by they were at least available to order at launch; I often wonder it Microsoft is even serious about the success of Windows Phone, everything seems half-assed in terms of providing good solid in terms of availability, etc...

From what I got after talking with some Polish carriers reps - they will introduce HTC 8X, Lumias in their Christmas plans at the end of November/start of December - they might be delaying subsidied phones from their mid November release, to reap profits before Christmas sales.

I guess the same might be with US and other carriers.

the HTC 8X looks really awesome, this may be the most excited I've been for a windows phone in awhile

I was dead set on getting a Lumia 920 and nobody could have talked me out of it. But after this delay bullshit the Ativ S and the 8X is looking really good.

The Ativ S had my interest when I first caught glimpse of it and the expandable memory made it a very close 2nd to the L920. Love the size and the no nonsense looks of it. It's a big ass metal'ish looking device and I'd loved to have a bigger screen :)

The 8X on the other hand, never peaked my interest until I saw that in retina burning tennis ball yellow color. I think it looks better than the canary yellow of the L920. Also, there's a chance that it will come with wireless charging built in and a 16gb version for ATT. I've been hearing 8gb with no expandable memory and if that's the case then it's a no go for me.

I'm thinking the whole exclusive apps Nokia's got going on won't affect me too much. I just like their camera tech that they crammed on the L920. Seems to be kicking ass against the new iphone and several top end Android devices.

There's never been delay. No one has announced when it comes available on AT&T yet. I'd guess any moment since for sure it gets it earlier than us (I will get mine 22.11.).

The 8X on the other hand, never peaked my interest until I saw that in retina burning tennis ball yellow color. I think it looks better than the canary yellow of the L920. Also, there's a chance that it will come with wireless charging built in and a 16gb version for ATT. I've been hearing 8gb with no expandable memory and if that's the case then it's a no go for me.

I'm thinking the whole exclusive apps Nokia's got going on won't affect me too much. I just like their camera tech that they crammed on the L920. Seems to be kicking ass against the new iphone and several top end Android devices.

8X will have 16gb and no card slot - from official HTC tech specs. Lumia920 will have 32gb and no card slot either. Attic comes in variants of 16 and 32, and will have the MicroSD slot.

Right now I'm torn between Ativ and Lumia. I don't make that many pics, and frankly for Facebook, showing them on computer, all the modern phone cameras are okay. I doubt even Lumia will do well in interiors with bad light, matrix will still be small, and can't compete with a proper camera.

16gb Ativ is about 100 euro cheaper from Lumia, and that is a factor that matters, also I prefer the super amoled to IPS displays. But I will make the decision when I see those two phones in reality and will read proper reviews.

I guess delay was the wrong choice of word to use, more like beatin around the bush. What I meant to say was Nokia announced the 2nd gen Lumias and did not announce a date a month or 2 back. Then this week Microsoft announced the windows phone 8 and still no concrete date. The hype was there on the first announcement and everyone got antsy for this week's announce and still nothing.

I got 3 friends who were interested in switching from their current phones. One was an iphone 3GS, a Blackberry Torch or Bold and an old ass Razr flip. One went with a S3 and the other 2 went with the new iphone. Just missed opportunities because there was no date that I could give them and they were so ready to move on from their old phones.

16gb Ativ is about 100 euro cheaper from Lumia, and that is a factor that matters, also I prefer the super amoled to IPS displays. But I will make the decision when I see those two phones in reality and will read proper reviews.

If I do pick up the Ativ it will most likely be in 16gb and buy a 32gb microsd to go with it depending on the price difference between the 16gb and 32gb phone models. I know I'll burn through 16gb of onboard quick if if I transfer my contents from my current phone now. If I do pick up the 32gb version then it will satisfy my need for space until the microsd card prices drop even further.

I agree with you on the camera comment. I'm not expecting DSLR quality but it seems like the L920's camera picture quality is approaching simple point and shoot cameras of maybe 2-3yrs ago. I don't always have my DSLR with me but I'll always have my phone at all times and would love to snap a pic of something while I'm out and about and have it print worthy or at least look decent on the pc to show friends and family.

If I do pick up the Ativ it will most likely be in 16gb and buy a 32gb microsd to go with it depending on the price difference between the 16gb and 32gb phone models. I know I'll burn through 16gb of onboard quick if if I transfer my contents from my current phone now. If I do pick up the 32gb version then it will satisfy my need for space until the microsd card prices drop even further.

According to preorder prices in Europe, 16gb Ativ is 599 euro and its 32gb version is 100 euro more. And the 32gb card is about 33 euro...so IMO best idea, if you want enough storage would be buying 16gb with 32gb card.

Last edited:
I signed up to receive info on the Lumia 920 release on Nokia's site about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have not received a single email since.I don't know what their deal is but it's gonna end up hurting Nokia's sales if it hasn't already.

Back