Windows 8 Overtakes Vista, OS X And Linux

thats pretty bad
i have to say whats really scary is that XP is still holding on like that o_O

thats pretty bad
i have to say whats really scary is that XP is still holding on like that o_O

i agree...companies need to kill the zombie OS known as XP. it's last Service Pack is over 4 years old. let it die already.

Is OS 10.6 that different from 10.7 that different from 10.8 that justifies splitting them up as 3 separate operating systems?

i agree...companies need to kill the zombie OS known as XP. it's last Service Pack is over 4 years old. let it die already.

Upgrading from XP is expensive and it still does the job for most. I have a lot of clients that are just now beginning to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro.

A computer is tool used to run application software.

An OS is a necessary evil if you want more than one application.

If your application software is running as expected, why upgrade either the hardware or OS?

The idea that Linux is rare is laughable. Most of us have Linux devices. Routers, Cable Boxes, servers, etc. Most of us DO NOT have OSX on anything.

It's probably a safe bet that this forum board is running on a Linux platform. I know ours are.

considering you are forced-fed windows 8, like any other occasion in the past, it a matter of time. Wonder if the market at some point will become fragmented enough that windows will be hurt, you know 'for real'. I don't know maybe it IS already fragmented enough, and it will only take some time to show.
Tablet-center, android desktop anyone?, back-up your tablet, protect your pictures.. that type of thing

Windows = 91% of that pie chart. Not sure that MS loses in any way. :p

*nux on the desktop/laptop = fail market share, but it does pretty well (at least most or parts of it) running on most (non-Apple) ARM tablets and embedded devices.

Is OS 10.6 that different from 10.7 that different from 10.8 that justifies splitting them up as 3 separate operating systems?

lol I was thinking the same thing

ether way. Still horrible numbers compared to how well received their last OS was. We can only hope that they eventually sweep windows 8 under the rug and start listening to what users are asking for. With mobile devices getting more powerful and taking over the functions that was commonly performed by PC's, it seems like this is a really stupid time to be alienating their bread and butter

Most of us have Linux devices. Routers, Cable Boxes, servers, etc.

I would add GPS devices, TVs, dvrs, wireless media players..

However these are not really considered desktop computers.

Nope. In fact, they're so similar that I haven't bothered upgrading my Mac Pro at work. Which is probably the reason they have all 3 listed. :p

The idea that Linux is rare is laughable.

On desktops and laptops, yes Linux is rare. I find it interesting that some constantly bring up the point of not wanting a tablet/phone OS on their desktop/laptop but bring up that Linux is the #1 OS now because of Android that runs almost exclusively at this point on tablets and phones.

A
The idea that Linux is rare is laughable. Most of us have Linux devices. Routers, Cable Boxes, servers, etc. Most of us DO NOT have OSX on anything.

While Linux may not be rare, on the desktop it's both rare and largely laughable...;)

It's probably a safe bet that this forum board is running on a Linux platform. I know ours are.

Servers, networking equipment, and embedded devices aren't desktop computers.

No one disputes Linux has a solid place in this world (I have both a Tomato router and a LAMP web server), but that place isn't on my gaming PC.

But then how would I get to use Internet Explorer 6 at work?????? :confused: Internet Explorer 6 is really good, it works with at least 25%* of the Internet.

* Statistic includes only those websites that use pure HTML, advanced features like CSS are not included.

I guess a lot of you lack perspective and don't realize how many people use their computers for just email light web browsing/facebook and thats it. You can easily still do that with a P4 with 2gb of ram.

My netbook is still running XP :) Works perfect for what I use it for.
My wife's laptop is running Vista - easier to get a new laptop than attempt an OS upgrade (the SSD helped big time).
Two other desktops are running Win7, one running Win8 (newest).

At work, we have a couple systems running XP. The migration to Win7 was expensive (and on-going). Upgrading desktops in an office environment involved much more planning, resources, and you can't have down time for the users. Not even close to upgrading your system at home... What sucks is about the time we get all the systems on the same OS, MS has a new flavor. Luckily, we pretty much skipped Vista at work, other than in a few VM and test environments for customer apps / code.

I guess a lot of you lack perspective and don't realize how many people use their computers for just email light web browsing/facebook and thats it. You can easily still do that with a P4 with 2gb of ram.

You just described the desktop I just reloaded XP on for an elderly relative. Core 2 duo & 2GB ram, been working fine for 5 years until someone else tried to "fix" it after he got some malware on it.

No Facebook, just email and some simple web browsing. Only reason I could see for upgrading is if the few web sites he uses stop working with IE6. Even then, I'd likely just load windows 7 on it so he could use a newer browser.

You may be able to do it, but trust me -- as someone who deals with all different types of computers, OSs, and devices on a daily basis -- those older WinXP boxes are virtually unusable on the modern internet.

All the things required for today's websites like Flash, Java, etc... have gotten so bloated that they bring these old machines to their knees.

Even the years and years of patches and new features that have been backported to XP such as .NET and newer versions of IE basically run like shit.

XP is so old, unstable, and cobbled together that even an old machine barely meeting specs for Win7 will run much better with 7 vs XP... and if you're lucky enough to have Execute Bit support on an old system, toss Windows 8 on there and it's even better than 7 thanks to the lower overhead and optimizations made for mobile devices*

*-Disclaimer- With a machine that old, you won't likely be running newer version of IE due to the horsepower required for the rendering (you'll need FF or Chrome) and you definitely won't be playing any 3D games (even Windows games) or using Metro apps on Windows 8 due to probable display incompatibilities

Yeah, unfortunately I have lot's of experience dealing with people with antique hardware they want to keep using...

If you never watch video maybe. No P4 can hang with a flash or HTML video with medium quality or higher video playback without stuttering. Not to mention a machine that old is living on borrowed time hardware wise and using a boatload of power.

Yeah unfortunately they can't because of apps that are mission critical that only work on XP. You would be shocked to know how many fortune 250 companies are in this quandary. Whole systems are being built to run XP in a VM to run those mentioned apps. Most companies have maybe 60% idea what is being ran in their environment.

You may be able to do it, but trust me -- as someone who deals with all different types of computers, OSs, and devices on a daily basis -- those older WinXP boxes are virtually unusable on the modern internet.

All the things required for today's websites like Flash, Java, etc... have gotten so bloated that they bring these old machines to their knees.

Even the years and years of patches and new features that have been backported to XP such as .NET and newer versions of IE basically run like shit.

XP is so old, unstable, and cobbled together that even an old machine barely meeting specs for Win7 will run much better with 7 vs XP... and if you're lucky enough to have Execute Bit support on an old system, toss Windows 8 on there and it's even better than 7 thanks to the lower overhead and optimizations made for mobile devices*

*-Disclaimer- With a machine that old, you won't likely be running newer version of IE due to the horsepower required for the rendering (you'll need FF or Chrome) and you definitely won't be playing any 3D games (even Windows games) or using Metro apps on Windows 8 due to probable display incompatibilities

Yeah, unfortunately I have lot's of experience dealing with people with antique hardware they want to keep using...

Uh ... Male Bovine Feces.

My personal office desktop is XP. Granted, it's not a wimp (4gb of DDR-1600, and a 1090 clocked to 4.0, and a GTX560Ti, with a 2560? HP workstation monitor.

But there is no normal app it doesn't smoke through, including CAD translations and Chrome.

Yeah unfortunately they can't because of apps that are mission critical that only work on XP. You would be shocked to know how many fortune 250 companies are in this quandary. Whole systems are being built to run XP in a VM to run those mentioned apps. Most companies have maybe 60% idea what is being ran in their environment.

This is true. I have a plethora of Virtualized XP machines due to this reality.

MS let XP linger FAR to long is what caused that in the first place
7 will be come entrenched like XP as well thanks to the awful GUI in 8/8.1

The fact that this is news worthy is pretty sad.

Monthly market share of Windows has always been news, particularly when the newest version of Windows passes the market share of an older one. Plus, with the controversial nature of Windows 8 and all that's said about it one way or another, objective numbers are critical for developers and other 3rd parties looking at 8 to know if they should begin to put resources into the platform.

Hardly a surpise since MS is forcing all computer manufacturers to load W8 on every Windows capable consumer device with almost a 100% lock preventing the end user from selecting any previous OS version.

tech companies kind of push their own agenda to the point where outdated things are just enough for most.

i mean sure there's new-er hammers...

but if it broke, why fix it? (<---considering technology, finances, and practicality)

Still using Windows XP here - sort of. :)

Indeed, some old school games works best on XP including some dead applications which were easier to use, i keep it around on one of the PC for my parents and some old school games.

they mostly have updated drivers/hardware support with build in SSD support, not much of difference between them for normal user.

Hardly a surpise since MS is forcing all computer manufacturers to load W8 on every Windows capable consumer device with almost a 100% lock preventing the end user from selecting any previous OS version.

And this is how it has always been with Windows.

If you never watch video maybe. No P4 can hang with a flash or HTML video with medium quality or higher video playback without stuttering. Not to mention a machine that old is living on borrowed time hardware wise and using a boatload of power.
Not like it matters, people using these setups aren't enthusiasts. Most of those people don't have good enough internet to stream the higher def content anyways. 256KiBs is pretty much the max if not that dial up. Fixed hundreds of pc's in my area i would say maybe ~%45 still use a old p4 xp equivalent build with no reason to upgrade as long as it keeps chugging along.

Older PC's are absolutely slaughtered by Flash and/or HTML5.

Back