Windows 8 Not Getting Boost From End Of XP Support

Hit Windows key by accident. Boom. Back to entertainment OS.
Try to search for a file on your drive. Boom. Back to entertainment OS.
Launch a file with an extension still assigned to a shitty Metro app. Boom. Back to entertainment OS.

I could go on.... And all of that under-the-hood enhancement you mention isn't really in dispute -- but all of that didn't need to go under a fischer-price candy wrapper.

Press Esc, back to desktop. Click on the top left, back to desktop.

I have zero issues searching for anything on my computer. Fix your index locations.

So you have to fix your default programs OH NO!

I haven't launched a metro app since installing, either on purpose or by accident. I haven't used the "All Programs' feature of the Start Menu since 7 was released and I figured out I can just type the name of the app I want or the file I'm trying to open.

But that is your experience, which doesn't matter one bit if most everyone else is struggling along trying to work on the same OS. Which they are.

Mass market consumer products like Win7 or 8 have to work well for nearly all people to be considered a success...otherwise they fail. Its pretty clear Win8 is at best another Vista.

In all fairness why would they keep supporting an OS that is over 10yr old. Windows 8 and 7 are far better and far safer then XP.

But people are complaining about the stupid UI decisions + pushy as hell Apple-like-walled-garden approach MS has taken with Win8 not about lack of support for 10+ yr old OS's.

But none are as nice as a Nexus 7 which is still cheaper and if you just hit $300 you may as well go iPad Mini which has a much more robust app store.
You go MS if you want...
Halo?

Depends on one's definition of nice. iOS and Android have much better tablet app stores than Windows. The Nexus 7 has a higher resolution screen than the current 8" Windows tablets. Bay Trail Windows tablets do have a great deal of flexibility and aren't totally tied to an app store. I couldn't write this post with a pen using real time handwriting to text recognition in a web browser or view a Flash site on a Nexus or iPad natively.

Most "industry analysts" are mouth-breathing, inbred sub-morons.

The stuff these nimrods actually get right? Complete and utter accidents.

But having clean and interesting UIs for apps like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, WatchESPN, Hulu, etc might be something Grandpa might appreciate.

Nope. Not really.

Especially since Win8's interface is neither clean nor particularly interesting. Just annoying.

I like the performance of 8/8.1 but the UI is such a piece of garbage on non-touch screen computers a lot of people are not upgrading to it as they are actually switching over to the company a lot of people dislike, Apple. They just can't take anymore crappy User Interfaces. Also take out the constant fear of getting a virus just from browsing the web and even more are moving over. I'm still using Windows, I have too many games I love but if Microsoft doesn't wisen up, they are going to keep bleeding customers. 99% of what I do for PC repair is virus removals as it is the most common issue with Windows based PC's. There has got to be something Microsoft can do to lessen this issue, but it seems they have given up on the security aspect of their own OS, it drives me batty at times trying to figure out ways to prevent my customers from getting infected again. Spywareblaster (malware/spyware shield), Antivirus, Rootkit removals. I'm starting to think Microsoft has simply given up on it's customer base and doesn't care if everyone bails out on them. Every iteration of new OS releases they promise more security, more secure browsing, and so on, which is all non-truths. People eager to upgrade rush to the stores (at least they used to) for the latest version of Windows so that they don't get infected as easily. The launch of Vista/7/8 were all non-events. The stores were like Ghost Towns, no one was rushing to upgrade. 7 came out, people were still afraid of it being the disaster Vista was. 8 came out, people were still afraid to upgrade due to Vista and then the ones that do switch, freak out about the useless user interface experience. I simply think Microsoft has simply lost all focus and direction of their own product and no longer really have any type of future goal.

everyone was talking about the death of the PC, to me windows 8 is the nail in the coffin... I think android net-tops and HDMI sticks are going to be a good direction for people that want to just browse facebook and watch netflix... people have old crappy computers running XP that will not run 8 acceptably... plus people don't want to pay to upgrade to 8, or pay for a new computer... so what do you do?

maybe linux will get a boost! lol

Last edited:
maybe linux will get a boost! lol

Probably a little bit of one. Maybe Steam's OS will help that if Valve doesn't mess up and load it with creepy "watch you do stuff" functionality. Android is really Linux's gateway into the mainstream at the moment and, depending on which silly person you argue with in this forum, Android might not actually be Linux.

For me personally, I've gone back and forth trying Windows 8 since it was released as the developer's test edition and I really just can't convince myself to use it. Most recently, I installed 8 and upgraded to 8.1 on a netbook and gave it a few weeks. It was okay, but I felt like it didn't really add much of anything to my computing experience and the UI changes, even after getting daily use for 3 weeks, felt like they were slowing me down. I reinstalled 7 a couple of days ago.

My bigger laptop has Linux Mint and Vista installed in dual boot. I don't use it much, but when I do, I usually just boot into Mint. Because I want to keep lots of options open, I don't care about games at all, and I'm not sure how much relevance Microsoft will continue to have, I picked a flavor of Linux I liked so I would be ready for a fundamental change in computing away from Microsoft products (which, I really don't think will ever actually happen, but it was a good excuse to get a little bit more motivated about doing something I wanted to get around to doing for a while).

So, if I were stuck with an XP computer at end of support and had 8 as my choice, I think I would just keep using XP or I'd probably think pretty hard about a Linux distro. Buuuut, I don't think most people would really entertain the Linux option. That leaves them with either buying new hardware that comes with 8.1 or just waiting. It's pretty clear that most of them are just waiting. Maybe because they don't really know or care that XP isn't going to get updates and patches.

This, and lot of companies who has very proprietary software and can't upgrade and probably wont until their internal systems are changed out. At that point they'll probably go with 7, not 8. I can't picture 8 in a commercial environment, it's a entertainment OS, not a productivity one.

My old work was running NT until about late 2007. They upgraded to XP that year. A lot of the programming is still operating on DOS/emulated DOS environments.

Wouldn't be surprised if they have a bunch of copies of 7 lying around for when they can actually get their proprietary crap running on it.

I bought a touch screen laptop for myself for Christmas. It came with Windows 8. Even on a touch screen Windows 8 sucks.

But none are as nice as a Nexus 7 which is still cheaper and if you just hit $300 you may as well go iPad Mini which has a much more robust app store.
You go MS if you want...
Halo?

That's BS. I got rid of my nexus 7 2013 for the Lenovo miix 2 8 , having full windows on a 8 inch device is far superior to the android experience. Came with office and holy crap I can print over my network properly! And the fact you can use large flash storage as a second drive I have steam on my 64 Gb SD card and this tablet plays all my steam games perfect.

Full application comparability in a 199 dollar device is awesome bay trail was really a game changer.

That's BS. I got rid of my nexus 7 2013 for the Lenovo miix 2 8 , having full windows on a 8 inch device is far superior to the android experience. Came with office and holy crap I can print over my network properly! And the fact you can use large flash storage as a second drive I have steam on my 64 Gb SD card and this tablet plays all my steam games perfect.

Full application comparability in a 199 dollar device is awesome bay trail was really a game changer.

Total BS. That's a $300 - $400 tablet depending on how its configured. We're talking pricing NEW not USED OFF OF EBAY.
The only advantage any windows tablet has right now is Office.

Yea? Just wait until after april. You don't think there are people sitting on some zero day exploits ready to use right after support ends? The first few months are going to be a cluster for them as they panick to upgrade to systems that can be patched.

I still think MS will release some small patches if anything big does come out. They will still be doing paid support for XP, so they will have the exploits patched anyway.

We'll see what happens, but if you aren't at least trying to upgrade the XP sytems to 7, you deserve what's coming.

Yea? Just wait until after april. You don't think there are people sitting on some zero day exploits ready to use right after support ends? The first few months are going to be a cluster for them as they panick to upgrade to systems that can be patched.

I still think MS will release some small patches if anything big does come out. They will still be doing paid support for XP, so they will have the exploits patched anyway.

We'll see what happens, but if you aren't at least trying to upgrade the XP sytems to 7, you deserve what's coming.

Yeah I just upgraded several customers with older p4 machines to 7 and the machines run just fine. Been warning people to let go of xp for quite a while now

Yeah I just upgraded several customers with older p4 machines to 7 and the machines run just fine. Been warning people to let go of xp for quite a while now

P4's are fine with 7 assuming the system has enough ram. I wouldn't dare give a system with 512MB of ram Windows 7.

P4's are fine with 7 assuming the system has enough ram. I wouldn't dare give a system with 512MB of ram Windows 7.

Hell no these are machines I built years back and none with less that 1 Gb. All 3ghz and up Northwood/prescotts

Total BS. That's a $300 - $400 tablet depending on how its configured. We're talking pricing NEW not USED OFF OF EBAY.
The only advantage any windows tablet has right now is Office.

The Mixx 2 8 runs $239 for 32 GB of storage and $340 for 64 GB currently on Amazon new. And sure you can get sub $100 and they my be great for kids as toys but these Windows Bay Trail tablets blow those things out of the water, much like even other Android tablets priced like these Windows versions.

And Office isn't the only advantage. Using desktop apps on a 8" tablet isn't for everyone and most applications don't work that well, but some of these 8" devices have HDMI out and are powerful enough to run a lot of x86 desktop software. And as HisSvt76, we're talking about real PCs here that can easily connect to various devices, networks, they can even run Android apps in an emulator or VM, though Bay Trail devices are a little slow for that to work every well.

My old work was running NT until about late 2007. They upgraded to XP that year. A lot of the programming is still operating on DOS/emulated DOS environments.

Wouldn't be surprised if they have a bunch of copies of 7 lying around for when they can actually get their proprietary crap running on it.

You know what the main sign of a shitty IT department is?

That they don't know how to use virtual machines to run old software.

I like W8, I dont mind Modern UI on my Vaio Duos or my Surface Pro 2. What I do mind is using it on desktop where I dont have touch enabled monitors or peripherals. Overall W8 runs faster and uses less battery life than W7. I have been on W8 on my main computer for 2 months now and actually have no problems with it, its faster overall. I have startisback on it for the start button and all is gravy.

This. All XP only applications now run in VM's.

More Windows 8 griping. Interdasting.

MS management was hoping of this ? Why ? It won't happen with windows 8 it won't happen for Windows 9. The market is changing it is easier now to pick up a device which does simple things and is not taxed by MS for the license....

Which is why MS offers paid support for EOL operating systems.

If you're a large company and you REALLY need to keep running XP for some reason, you're more than welcome to pay Microsoft to patch issues for you.

They will make-public relevant patches that companies have paid for, I doubt they'll patch XP "just because" anymore.

Now, keep in mind, all this applies ONLY to the regular desktop editions of Windows XP. Other variants like XP 64bit Edition and XP Embedded are on a different timetable with a longer support lifecycle. This means embedded devices (like ATM machines) wont be left without support just-yet.

Windows 8.1 is leaps and bounds better than 8, (and in total, better than 7 too finally). Made the switch and everything is exactly the way it should be. All the options needed to make 8 not suck are built right in, not to mention the countless new and better features.

My vomit just gave birth to diarrhea.

That's what everyone said when Vista was released.

emo

and windows 7 redeemed M$... I never run across vista machines, but tons of xp and 7 machines... and 8 machines that people beg me to install 7 on (no joke)

Windows 8.1 is leaps and bounds better than 8, (and in total, better than 7 too finally). Made the switch and everything is exactly the way it should be. All the options needed to make 8 not suck are built right in, not to mention the countless new and better features.

All the countless new and better features! No doubt. But my favorite part of the giant leap to 8.1 had to be all the great new and exciting things. Outdone only by the amazing and unimaginable disney tiles now with New And Improved Potato™

Its not even that, really. Its hamstringing your company's mission critical work processes on highly proprietary, custom written software that cannot or won't be updated without prohibitive cost. This issue (specifically the "We can't move away from XP without bankrupting our company" excuse) is exposing a very serious and very dangerous flaw in a lot of corporate IT departments.

Its not even that, really. Its hamstringing your company's mission critical work processes on highly proprietary, custom written software that cannot or won't be updated without prohibitive cost. This issue (specifically the "We can't move away from XP without bankrupting our company" excuse) is exposing a very serious and very dangerous flaw in a lot of corporate IT departments.
I would hardly consider Information Systems (developers and programmers) to be real IT personnel even though Information Systems would be a sub-department of Information Technology. I think of IT as hardware, network, technical, licensing, ... The IT Crowd is a good representation of what people usually think of IT as. :D (without the humor of course)

I would say this is fault of software developers and programmers + nobody's fault really, this was inevitable.

There is no guarantee that software written today for Windows 7 will be compatible with "Windows 14" -- it'll be the same situation we're in TODAY with XP and legacy software 7-10 years from now, but for Windows 7 applications (XP will be seen as MSDOS 3.1-type proprietary-like packages using present illustrative comparison).

We're human and by no means perfect, and our knowledge just keeps on growing without end; the amount of knowledge we have to the sum of all possible knowledge is nothing. I think with this said I would be surprised if in the course of humans advancing and evolving technology and mathematics and discovering new ways of doing things legacy applications will ALWAYS be an obstacle (that's right, it isn't a problem or an issue -- just a mere obstacle, it's normal because of the nature of how life and many things simply work).

That, or imagine the alternative: we'll never be developing as a human race; technology will cease in development and the products and technology we have today will freeze and remain unchanged and the same for the next several centuries.

We're human and by no means perfect, and our knowledge just keeps on growing without end; the amount of knowledge we have to the sum of all possible knowledge is nothing. I think with this said I would be surprised if in the course of humans advancing and evolving technology and mathematics and discovering new ways of doing things legacy applications will ALWAYS be an obstacle (that's right, it isn't a problem or an issue -- just a mere obstacle, it's normal because of the nature of how life and many things simply work).
My thought veered into a different direction half-way through writing that.

What I was wanting to say is that I would be surprised if a decade from now the whole debacle of legacy software being a crutch and business problem would no longer exist as an issue. I would be quite surprised.

As humans, we create mess.

Back