Windows 8 no scraight to desktop boot?

You WILL use Metro. You WILL like it. You WILL ask for more Metro. Repeat after me, "Metro is the best UI for an OS ever, only fools and Apple loving Communists could possibly think otherwise".

You WILL use Metro. You WILL like it. You WILL ask for more Metro. Repeat after me, "Metro is the best UI for an OS ever, only fools and Apple loving Communists could possibly think otherwise".

Or as it is now known, "The UI formerly known as Metro".

That's pretty ridiculous. I mean, I can see how the "not-so-Metro" GUI can be of use on a tablet or phone but to block the ability to switch back to a normal desktop on a regular machine is asinine. Take away that ability on mobile devices, sure I don't see a problem with that.

Hopefully, this is blown out of proportion. I haven't messed around with Windows 8 yet but I definitely want to just to see what all the fuss is about. But, as it is, I'm not going to do that for awhile.

When you start your computer, what do you do? You run a program to do something. It doesn't sit at the desktop. And where do you go to launch programs? The Start Screen. Booting to the desktop would do nothing other than add a step.

Install ClassicShell. It will boot right to desktop, give you a start menu. Start8 is crap.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Metro is an insult on a desktop PC, its like Balmer tried to punch me right in the junk with these big, ugly colored tiles.

When you start your computer, what do you do? You run a program to do something. It doesn't sit at the desktop. And where do you go to launch programs? The Start Screen. Booting to the desktop would do nothing other than add a step.

QFT

Starting with the startmenu open reduces the number of clicks to get going on a cold boot by one. Not the other way around.

Install ClassicShell. It will boot right to desktop, give you a start menu. Start8 is crap.

Metro is an insult on a desktop PC, its like Balmer tried to punch me right in the junk with these big, ugly colored tiles.

To each their own. At least there is more than one alternative to this "issue". I'm fine with the start screen. I'm just waiting on the final release to be available via TechNet since I want to verify that some of the bugs are gone (& maybe some features added in from feedback).

ClassicShell does look pretty nice for people that are agitated with any progress/change.

To each their own. At least there is more than one alternative to this "issue". I'm fine with the start screen. I'm just waiting on the final release to be available via TechNet since I want to verify that some of the bugs are gone (& maybe some features added in from feedback).

ClassicShell does look pretty nice for people that are agitated with any progress/change.

I wouldn't expect any changes from the current RTMs to what is available on technet though.

Hopefully, this is blown out of proportion. I haven't messed around with Windows 8 yet but I definitely want to just to see what all the fuss is about. But, as it is, I'm not going to do that for awhile.

The whole Windows 8 hate is blown out of proportion IMO. I have a link below I found in a quick search that shows just how difficult it is to get to the desktop in Win 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUHBYAS_n0

One thing the video doesn't mention is when at the desktop, to get back to the Start screen (aka metro UI), simply put your mouse cursor in the lower left corner of the screen, where the start button used to be, and click.

The new Start screen functions perfectly fine with a mouse despite the fear mongering trying to lead everyone to think they'll be forced to buy touch screen monitors to be able to use Windows 8 effectively.

You're missing the point. I don't want the start screen at all. I want a nice wallpaper with NO icons on it. Especially not some ugly, non transparent squares. I launch programs from my taskbar only.

M$, don't force Metro AG on us desktop users.

I use a desktop pc, not a tablet.

I like to think of Windows 8 as an "OS for Pre-Schoolers". You get big bright colored blocks to click on because we're all too stupid for anything more than that.

For anyone who still has not tried WIndows 8, imagine using the iPad GUI, with bigger buttons, as your desktop GUI. I'm not kidding.

The whole Windows 8 hate is blown out of proportion IMO.
I dislike the UI, but I'm worried about my...um..."users". There are enough changes that I can see this headache coming a mile off. And I don't like it.
The new Start screen functions perfectly fine with a mouse despite the fear mongering trying to lead everyone to think they'll be forced to buy touch screen monitors to be able to use Windows 8 effectively.
I'm fairly certain there was someone from MS around here that was claiming that Windows8 really shines with a touch interface, that while the mouse and keyboard still works, it's more efficient using touch. He seemed somewhat adamant on that point.

I installed win 8 Wednesday evening. Reimaging back to win 7. I just feel like a 10 year old with stupid ass boxes. When it hits tech net I'll install it and use a 3rd party program to get me right to the desktop.

The start screen is more difficult to get to. I don't want to hear shortcuts. Throw shortcuts out the window. I know a mass of people who still don't know copy and paste shortcuts...

Anyway. To launch the start menu you move your mouse to the very bottom of the screen to a 20px space to the left of your first taskbar icon. The start menu button then appearsafter a moment? Why hide the button at all?

Now lets discuss dual monitors. Its still possible to launch the start menu as I stated above but I have my second monitor on the left. Meanings its not a careless swipe of the mouse to the bottom left of the screen. Its like I have to use my fps skills just to launch he start menu otherwise my mouse goes over to the 2nd screen.

You can also launch Tue start menu by moving your mouse all the way to the edge of your desktop and again waiting for a menu to appear then clicking another button half way down the screen. Follow this process through for people with tri monitor setups.

I don't want to hear about shortcuts. I find it weird that this ui that was so heavily designed for touchscreens now forces you to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate it more efficiently. You know what would be more efficient? Just put the damn REAL start button back in the bottom left corner of the screen!

Guys who want typical start / Windows 7 look on boot -

Install ClassicShell. It will boot right to desktop, give you a start menu

Win8 runs great, it's the lack of a decent GUI that is just killing it. MS fucked up big time on the desktop with Metro errr. Win8 UI <what-the-fuck-ever-you-want-to-call-ui-fail>

I'm sure that Microsoft people are reading these forums. Think of these previews in part as market research before the final release.

If MS people aren't reading these forums and acting on what they read, then they will go the way of Yahoo and friendster.

I dislike the UI, but I'm worried about my...um..."users". There are enough changes that I can see this headache coming a mile off. And I don't like it.

Pretty much this.

I could adapt to the interface if it was backwards and upside down if I had to. Most of the people I've built PC's for or that I support their PC they got elsewhere (BestBuy/WalMart) wouldn't make it past the opening Metro screen without a panic attack. Some of them it took months just to get used to the quicklaunch bar. I've already told them all to stay far away from any machine with Win8 on it, and to tell their friends the same thing to save me tons of phone calls and headaches.

Too much change in an interface in one fell swoop is never smart imho. Every time I see the Metro UI all I can think of is....

Duplos.jpg

...and I have to laugh at it as a desktop UI. :p

All my opinion though, and others are welcome to theirs. Some people LOVE IT MORE THAN ANYTHING, while I'm in the "Metro can suck wet donkey balls" group. Sales of Win8 that aren't preinstalled on a machine will tell an interesting story. I plan to make sure I'm well set on Win7 licenses for quite some time. In a year from now we'll see what the landscape looks like.

I'm sure that Microsoft people are reading these forums. Think of these previews in part as market research before the final release.

If MS people aren't reading these forums and acting on what they read, then they will go the way of Yahoo and friendster.

final has released and its still there lmao.

haha or this...

post-125978-0-63250700-1334212270.jpg

That photo is right on the money....They say it's a step forward, yet as we all can see....They lied.
Although, my 3 year old girl will probably like the Lego blocks on the screen. :rolleyes:

prediction: booting straight to Desktop will be available with Service Pack 2

Back