Windows 8 - Network Connection Properties - Unexpected error occurred

dalekphalm

Limp Gawd
Hey Everyone,

I'm experiencing the following error with Windows 8:

Upon right clicking on Network Connections and selecting "Properties", I receive "An unexpected error occurred". This same error appears if attempting to disable the connection.

The network connection DOES work however. I have received an IP from the DHCP server in my router, and I have full network/internet access.

I have attempted the following already:

Re-registering the DLL's:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll, and then click OK.
3. In the RegSvr32 dialog box, click OK.
Test to see if you can open the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver, as well as "SFC /scannow". Neither work.

Specs/Details:
Windows 8 Pro x64 with all current windows updates
Xeon W3520 CPU
8GB generic kingstom RAM
EVGA X50 SLI LE Motherboard (PN: 141-BL-E757)
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Primary OS Drive
Hitachi 500GB Secondary Storage Drive

Note: C:\Users is remapped/linked to D: drive, using the following command:
"mklink /J C:\Users D:\Users"
From this guide: Windows 8 SSD Redirect <- Someone at the Technet forums suggested undoing this and trying again, however since I'm using an SSD, this would be rather inconvenient.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? If I can't get this to work WITH the user folder redirect, I'm going to revert to Windows 7 or try reinstalling Windows 8, but I do NOT want to do either.

Hey Everyone,

I'm experiencing the following error with Windows 8:

Upon right clicking on Network Connections and selecting "Properties", I receive "An unexpected error occurred". This same error appears if attempting to disable the connection.

The network connection DOES work however. I have received an IP from the DHCP server in my router, and I have full network/internet access.

I have attempted the following already:

Re-registering the DLL's:
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll, and then click OK.
Test to see if you can open the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver, as well as "SFC /scannow". Neither work.

Specs/Details:
Windows 8 Pro x64 with all current windows updates
Xeon W3520 CPU
8GB generic kingstom RAM
EVGA X50 SLI LE Motherboard (PN: 141-BL-E757)
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Primary OS Drive
Hitachi 500GB Secondary Storage Drive

Note: C:\Users is remapped/linked to D: drive, using the following command:
"mklink /J C:\Users D:\Users"
From this guide: Windows 8 SSD Redirect <- Someone at the Technet forums suggested undoing this and trying again, however since I'm using an SSD, this would be rather inconvenient.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? If I can't get this to work WITH the user folder redirect, I'm going to revert to Windows 7 or try reinstalling Windows 8, but I do NOT want to do either.

You could disable and see if it works. Then if it does, you could redirect each individual folder instead of doing the whole thing like that command seems to indicate. (I have my main folders redirected to my larger harddrive in my laptop.)

Hmm that's a good idea. Honestly I only redirected the entire Users folder because A) the guide said so :p and B) Because it was easiest.

I REALLY only need the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, etc folders redirected, so as to not fill up my SSD with random files.

Also, would you recommend redirecting each individual folder, such as \documents; \pictures; \downloads, etc?

I'll try this out when I get home from work tonight.

I had the same issue on 3 out of 5 computers here at our place, ended up restoring a macrium image created a couple of days before the error, never found the cause but we think it was an automatic installed windows update.

Back