Windows 8 Leaked Already

Guess you didn't read the Apple iTunes / App Store ToS.
Citing the ToS as a reason to not use something is meh at best. None of the ToSes out there favor the customer it doesn't matter which company you pick (Amazon, Valve, etc. etc.).

The itunes store is the kind of crap that prompted this. But windows software didn't have this kind of crap before, and definatel doesn;t need it now. The desktop versions still work, so just get those.

Read what again? The reason for the UI is because it works well across all device types and input methods, and allows for "write once, run anywhere" applications. I happen to quite like metro, it's nice and clean and it flows nicely from my phone to my (x86) tablet to my desktop.

You can use phone level software on a desktop, but not desktop level software on a phone. Making this utopia fail in the real world, or mean that this junk is going to be severly limited to basic crap. But there is already software that does this (webpages, browsers), 99% of phone application software is catered to by a browser, you don;t need to give up your privacy to do this.

Am I doing it right?

Kind of. But you didn't need the self portrait. :p

How do I not use the market place on Windows RT?
This thread and my comment are about Windows 8, not Windows RT, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Even so, you shouldn't ever really need to launch the store on Windows RT if you're good with the included apps.

You can use phone level software on a desktop, but not desktop level software on a phone. Making this utopia fail in the real world, or mean that this junk is going to be severly limited to basic crap.
Not seeing the failure here, you use the application appropriate to your needs and working environment. Windows 8 totally allows that...

But there is already software that does this (webpages, browsers), 99% of phone application software is catered to by a browser, you don't need to give up your privacy to do this.p
Yeah, I already mentioned using desktop apps and skipping the marketplace entirely is an option. I'm really not sure what you're getting at...

I will be able to get a legal copy of windows 8 for free. Will not be doing so. I have a fast system with an SSD and I doubt that I would even notice the performance difference between 7 and 8. Also I like the look and feel of 7 and know how to use it well and don't want to waste my time having to relearn a new OS for very little gain as it just isn't worth my time.

That's all crap you want. If other people don't want that...stuff, they should be free to not have it. WIndows 7/vista/Xp had windows classic mode for people who didn't like Aero/whatever XPs thing was called.

I don't think I'm the only one that wants this considering the push to more and more mobile devices and the stagnation of the Windows PC market.

The reason they don;t want an off switch, is simple. Because then they can't force people onto the shitty "store", the real reason for this OS, whatever the PR crap likes to say.

No one is forced to use their "shitty" store, you can unpin the Store tile and never go there. But yes, there is some truth to what you're saying. If Metro were easy to disable it would provide less incentive for Metro app development as there'd be no way to be assured that all Windows 8/RT devices would be able to run Metro apps.

But there's more to it than that. Windows 8 has no concept of desktop mode or tablet mode, all input methods are always available (with the proper hardware of course) and that's always been the case with Windows dating back Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

The problem with Windows 8 is simply that most people haven't used it on newer hardware and simply don't understand it's hybrid nature. There's always going to be moaning over Windows 8 for people who think desktops and mice and keyboards and touch and tablets are separate. But for people that use tablets and touch and mice and keyboards and use the input methods routinely, I think they'll tend to like it.

[21CW]killerofall;1039001622 said:
I will be able to get a legal copy of windows 8 for free. Will not be doing so. I have a fast system with an SSD and I doubt that I would even notice the performance difference between 7 and 8. Also I like the look and feel of 7 and know how to use it well and don't want to waste my time having to relearn a new OS for very little gain as it just isn't worth my time.

When the RTM becomes broadly available I imagine that a lot of folks are going to be doing performance testing and overall while I don't expect Windows 8 to clobber Windows 7 performance wise it's but I think it's going to be noticeable. I still have a Windows 7 partition on my Samsung Series 7 Slate and Windows 8 just runs better than 7 on that device, not quite night and day but Windows 7 on the S7S is pointless. 7 is noticeably less responsive and less touch capable.

But on faster systems the difference would probably be less noticeable, but I can't wait to see gaming tests.

But on faster systems the difference would probably be less noticeable, but I can't wait to see gaming tests.

I think that's the confusing part for me about all the Windows 8 bile spewing. They all talk about Metro and the useless app store, but I thought we were on [H]ardOCP not [G]randpaCantFigureOutTheNewInterfaceOCP. I spend relatively little time actually dealing with the Windows interface itself. I'm almost always switching between myriad programs, games, whatever. All of which have their own interfaces.

I look at my desktop maybe once a day, since everything I use is pinned to the taskbar.

What I care about is performance. When Vista came out, despite its massive usability improvements over XP with regards to the actual interface, people avoided it because the drivers were bad, performance was bad, and even after all that was fixed, some people still stuck with XP for like a 5fps increase and some freed up memory.

If Windows 8 makes the pixels go faster, improves I/O, multiprocessing scheduling, all that sort of stuff that tends to improve with each iteration of Windows, then I'll go for it.

All of which have their own interfaces.

And this is what makes me scratch my head when the subject of the "jarring" effect of Metro comes up. When one considers all of the various looks of all the various apps on all of the various devices that people use the notion that people are jarred as they move between apps and home screens and all of these things just makes no sense to me.

And this is what makes me scratch my head when the subject of the "jarring" effect of Metro comes up. When one considers all of the various looks of all the various apps on all of the various devices that people use the notion that people are jarred as they move between apps and home screens and all of these things just makes no sense to me.

I'd help you with this, but Microsoft still hasn't sent a company-branded mousepad to me so I until they pony up the bribe, I'm keeping any positive comments and thoughts I might have to myself.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to change someone's opinion anyway and they'll all end up using Windows 8 sooner or later so there's just no incentive to bother with them. Just write down their screen names and save some URLs of threads to throw in their faces when they're flipping out about how they'll never use that horrible Windows 9 thing and that they'd rather die than give up Windows 8. They're probably the same people who flipped out about Windows XP's UI and ended up swearing by it when Vista was released anyway.

Not very surprising really. Looking at the screenshots and hearing all the negative feedback I'm not impressed by it, and removing the Start bar is plain idiotic from Microsoft.

windows 8 with Classic Shell and FxxkMetro is better than windows 7. not to mention better than windows 8

there, I said it

Pretty compelling arguments that WIN 8 was an "Intentional Leak". I would agree with that.

I think that's the confusing part for me about all the Windows 8 bile spewing. They all talk about Metro and the useless app store, but I thought we were on [H]ardOCP not [G]randpaCantFigureOutTheNewInterfaceOCP. I spend relatively little time actually dealing with the Windows interface itself. I'm almost always switching between myriad programs, games, whatever. All of which have their own interfaces.

I look at my desktop maybe once a day, since everything I use is pinned to the taskbar.

What I care about is performance. When Vista came out, despite its massive usability improvements over XP with regards to the actual interface, people avoided it because the drivers were bad, performance was bad, and even after all that was fixed, some people still stuck with XP for like a 5fps increase and some freed up memory.

If Windows 8 makes the pixels go faster, improves I/O, multiprocessing scheduling, all that sort of stuff that tends to improve with each iteration of Windows, then I'll go for it.
This x1000. Reading the first replies makes me feel more like I'm at a family reunion than a bleeding edge enthusiast site. Out of the 6 people I've installed the release preview for I've gotten nothing but positive remarks on usage after taking a little time to explain the new layout and its advantages. I would have never marked my mother as someone more tech savvy than the average [H] reader :\

queue the "oh noes, Metro is scary".

I probably spend 30 seconds in it a session, during which I actually find it quite nice on my nvidia surround setup. Certainly better than squinting at the start menu in the lower left.

HURR DURR Windows 8 is TERH BAD n one GUN YOOZE IT.

CJ6Sk.jpg

Am I doing it right? I'm in for one on this one. It's cheap and has a lot of under the hood improvements, couldn't care less about Metro, I'm just gonna use Desktop.

That is the best laugh I have had a week. :D

[21CW]killerofall;1039001622 said:

So, send me the copy since you do not want it.

windows 8 will catch up just after release and after few tweakings with third party softwares people will like it. to me the biggest problem with W8 is it's looks and layout. but sure you will have to get use to it as future OS might be similar and may not be able to get back to regular look that W7 has atm.

queue the "oh noes, Metro is scary".

I probably spend 30 seconds in it a session, during which I actually find it quite nice on my nvidia surround setup. Certainly better than squinting at the start menu in the lower left.

Maybe you should get your eyes checked if you have to squint to see the start menu. It's significantly larger than it was back in the day.

I'll probably be getting 2 free keys of W8 I believe, I'll probably just store them away until I can bring myself to use Metro :p I don't have any particular hate for W8 I just hate big chunky buttons and interfaces that take my whole screen when they don't need to and app stores in general. Obviously I can just not use the app store, and I won't, I'm just hoping and praying no one else does so it doesn't take over because I the whole concept of an appstore on anything beside a phone feels like a step backward.

It's not that I can't get used to it or am incapable of learning, it's that I don't like the concept and since I don't like the concept I don't plan on supporting it.

Maybe you should get your eyes checked if you have to squint to see the start menu. It's significantly larger than it was back in the day.

I'll probably be getting 2 free keys of W8 I believe, I'll probably just store them away until I can bring myself to use Metro :p I don't have any particular hate for W8 I just hate big chunky buttons and interfaces that take my whole screen when they don't need to and app stores in general. Obviously I can just not use the app store, and I won't, I'm just hoping and praying no one else does so it doesn't take over because I the whole concept of an appstore on anything beside a phone feels like a step backward.

It's not that I can't get used to it or am incapable of learning, it's that I don't like the concept and since I don't like the concept I don't plan on supporting it.

Over the years Windows has been about adopting popular trends in computing. Windows was born out of the revolution of the mouse as an addition to keyboards as an input method. Regardless of its efficiency touch is now a common input method for computing devices. It would be inconsistent with the historical philosophy of Windows to not include first rate touch capabilities into the core of the product.

As for the Windows Store, again the problem is that app stores are something that millions of people enjoy on other devices. It is quick and easy and delights users. Why should that experience be excluded from the PC?

We can argue the details but just doesn't make a lot of sense to not incorporate touch and an app store into Windows which has always incorporated popular computing concepts as they grew. Many make the claim that Windows 8 will encourage people to move to Macs and Linux. Without the addition of touch and an app store I believe that the exodus from Windows particularly for average people would be much faster.

In any case Microsoft was forced by the market to make these changes as keyboard and mouse centric computing become less relevant for common computing tasks and as computing devices become more like appliances.

As for the Windows Store, again the problem is that app stores are something that millions of people enjoy on other devices. It is quick and easy and delights users. Why should that experience be excluded from the PC?

I would agree with this. But the metro apps on a desktop pc suck with a mouse/keyboard. Especially the Microsoft ones. At least I think they do. Now they might be ok on a tablet/touch interface. But I don't have one test it on.

I would agree with this. But the metro apps on a desktop pc suck with a mouse/keyboard. Especially the Microsoft ones. At least I think they do. Now they might be ok on a tablet/touch interface. But I don't have one test it on.

I would agree that there's some rough sports with keyboard and mouse support with a number of the apps currently in the store but this stuff is just still beta and I've noticed that most of the apps have improved a lot in the keyboard and mouse arena. I've not had any problem with the Mail, Calendar and People apps with KBM since the Release Preview. At any rate most apps in the real world at Windows 8's release should work just fine with KBM.

I've been living with Windows 8 for a while now and I like it. I run AMD cards in all of my dekstops so I won't be upgrading until they get HDMI working correctly. Outside of that, Windows 8 is certainly an improvement over Windows 7.

About that app store, I won't be using it unless there's some sort of awesomeness to be found in there. As long as the app store shuts the fxck up and doesn't bug me about ANYTHING I won't care very much about it. However, I haven't seen any intrusive behavior in the RP so I'm going to guess that things will remain pretty much the same in the RTM.

An app store on a phone is a step up from no app store because of the inherent limitations of a phone. An app store on a desktop is a step backward because it further closing down a system that was previously open and encouraging developers to go through a system controlled by MS and which MS can skim money off.

We can argue the details but just doesn't make a lot of sense to not incorporate touch and an app store into Windows which has always incorporated popular computing concepts as they grew. Many make the claim that Windows 8 will encourage people to move to Macs and Linux. Without the addition of touch and an app store I believe that the exodus from Windows particularly for average people would be much faster.
I don't disagree that Windows should support touch. Just not at the sacrifice of taking a step backward on desktop. It all goes back to the thing I've posted in threads on W8 in the past. I DON'T want to have the same functionality and UI in desktop applications as I do on a phone/tablet (talking purely about the programs and not the OS), therefore I DON'T want the same programs or at least not the same versions of those programs. If I don't even want the same programs then why do I want the same OS version and UI version, the answer being I don't.

That's not to say I don't want Windows on tablets and I don't think MS should ignore tablets in their Windows pursuits... but that also doesn't mean I want the same OS and same UI on both devices. They should be linked, they should interact, they should be similar... they shouldn't be the same. Apple has it's iOS for it's portable touch devices and OSX for it's desktop.

The whole concept of a single schizophrenic OS is what I don't like. A tablet interface that has to deal with the desktop stuff in the background, and a desktop interface that has to deal with full screen touch interfaces when no touch devices are present.

You've said on many occasions that Windows has never been about having options, but it has always had some accessibility options and personally I've always found with each new version of Windows I've been able to tweak them to what I want better than the last version.
In any case Microsoft was forced by the market to make these changes
No, no it wasn't! Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. They had other options, they chose this option.

I've been on my Win8 laptop all day and haven't been in Metro once. Somehow I've pulled it off, I don't know how!!!!!

I'd install this tonight if it were the 32-bit version, my laptop only has 2GB RAM. :(

Why would you think that's a good idea?
Who wouldn't it be a good idea?

64bit Windows is generally faster than 32bit Windows, especially if you have a few native 64bit applications that you use regularly. The 64bit version of Handbrake garners a 15% performance boost over the 32bit version, and even the 64bit version of office apps like Excel experience a notable speedup when the native 64bit version is installed.

64bit Windows is also more secure then 32bit Windows. One of the biggest security improvements comes from Kernel Patch Protection, which is only available on 64bit Windows and seriously hardens the system against things like rootkits. 64bit Windows also enforces signed drivers, while 32bit Windows doesn't. 64bit Windows has much more effective ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) because it has an virtual address space to randomize within in WAY larger on 64bit than it is on 32bit.

Unless you have some piece of legacy hardware that needs an old unsigned driver, or legacy software than needs 16bit support... why on earth would you ever pick 32bit Windows over 64bit Windows?

Back