Windows 8 helping me sell sell sell.

Having to make an extra step and click just to go back to the old Explorer interface is going to piss off a lot of people. (Whether it's a minor step or not, it's still an extra step and the point is it's going to further frustrate people who already get frustrated enough with their computers for stupid reasons. :D)

I can appreciate Microsoft's idea and attempts at being the first desktop level OS built for tablets, but I think that quite frankly the idea either scares people or (again) just outright pisses them off. It also sounds like they're going to try to shift everything to Win8 once it's released, which means you're going to have a lot of people who want to buy a computer running Win7 and not Win8 (just like the Vista and Win7 launches with people clamoring for XP "downgrades"), unless the computer in question is based around being touch-based.

I have a tablet (Kindle Fire) but no plans on getting another, nor do I have any plans to buy anything touch-related for any one of the computers I own.

Start button replacement:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

My only beef with Windows 8 is with the metro screen - with this app, problem solved.

Besides there's tons of things in Windows 8 I like above 7
- Boots up faster on a hard drive then 7 does on my SSD.
- Ribbon interface on explorer etc
- Revamped bluetooth framework
- Cool looking file copy progress bar
- Taskbar multi monitor support
- File History

This how they need to fix windows 8

Startup screen gives you a choice of metro or desktop after logging in and the DESKTOP is just like Windows 7 with all of it's functionality intact.

It already has all of the functionality of Windows 7.

negative ghost rider, Windows 8 desktop does not have all the functionality of a windows 7 desktop. Please come back when you can tell me where the start button and the start menu are there without a hack....

negative ghost rider, Windows 8 desktop does not have all the functionality of a windows 7 desktop. Please come back when you can tell me where the start button and the start menu are there without a hack....

Bottom right corner of the screen. And behind the windows button on your keyboard. Same places as before.

Put a button there, not a hover and wait, or click til you find it area. I am not playing instagib with the cross hairs removed here. I am trying to easily navigate in my OS's gui. Additionally, if one has to resort to KB shortcuts in a graphic user interface for the user to feel like they are getting anywhere, then the gui has pretty much failed in it's purpose.

I suppose the home, back, etc., buttons found on almost all tablets and smart phones will do just fine for those purposes on those devices. But of course they would, it is a tablets/smart phone gui. After using it for as long as I have, convincing me that this gui is not almost entirely aimed at the tablet market is going to be hard. However, convincing me that some people over at MS are in need of a drug test would be pretty easy.
To be honest, I believe they let the marketing morons, decide what what the GUI should look like.

You can keep your touch centric Metro, we are just asking that we also be allowed to keep a KB/M centric gui as well, without resorting to third party software like ViStart.

Bottom right corner of the screen. And behind the windows button on your keyboard. Same places as before.

sorry no start button there and no menu structure either and in case you have forgotten, the start button is the LEFT LOWER CORNER.

This how they need to fix windows 8

Startup screen gives you a choice of metro or desktop after logging in and the DESKTOP is just like Windows 7 with all of it's functionality intact.

Although I haven't looked into it, just click 'Desktop' and you're in the traditional desktop with all of your pinned programs on the taskbar. Well, that's what I've been doing for the most part, with all of my FF/Chrome, Steam/Origin/MMO stuff and whatnot. The Start 'button' is still in the bottom left, just cram the mouse into the lower right corner. Don't hover near it, stick it directly in there. Left click to bring it up or right click to pick something off the list like Control Panel or whatever.

Somebody else was talking about everything now being metro apps for PDFs or pic viewing. They are, by default. In File Explorer right click and, "Open with" for the familiar version. You can change the default open with as per usual with Windows.

Somebody mentioned how Win8 has more options then previous Windows and that certainly is the case. I don't dislike the Metro Apps but right now I barely use any of them and I have yet to see anything new in the Store to play with so I'm mainly in 'Win 7 desktop' mode. The only Metro apps I've used often is the media player and the RDP.

Now, if only I could get Win8 to remember the damn credentials to my WHS2011 because none of my automatic connections work until I manually open a folder with file explorer.

sorry no start button there and no menu structure either and in case you have forgotten, the start button is the LEFT LOWER CORNER.

It's been so long since I've seen the shiny glowing orb. I must have forgotten :eek:

Aka death by typo.

I guess I'm one of the folks who is not having any problems with the new start screen. Between pinning my apps to the task bar and using jump lists in 7 I found that I rarely went to the start menu. I only used it regularly to put my PC to sleep.

I like the adoption of "hot corners" in 8. Not everyone keeps their task bar on the bottom of the screen. I use widescreen monitors so I keep my task bar pinned to the left margin of the screen. This is to maximize my screen resolution: I get to use more of the precious vertical resolution and I have horizontal resolution to spare. That meant in 7 the start button was in the top left corner of the screen. Similarly, if you placed your task bar on the right your start button would be on the top right of the screen. In 8 Microsoft has added new options to the desktop: you can use the right hand screen corners to call up the Charms Bar, and you can use the left hand screen corners to call up the start screen and to move between running Metro apps. If Microsoft were to re-enable the start button, they would either have to lock the task bar to the bottom of the screen or users would completely disrupt the new functionality on the desktop if they moved their task bar away from the bottom of the screen. The location of the start functionality would be inconsistent between the desktop and Metro apps, and on the desktop you would have two hotspots with two different functions right next to each other.

I don't see Microsoft backing away from the enhanced usability the hot corners gives 8. Neither do I see them requiring the task bar be only on the bottom of the screen. Accordingly I think it unlikely that the start button will return.

Lets be CLEAR here. I have no problem with metro but on my desktop I want the ability to actually *RUN* a complete desktop with all of the functionality that one would associate with it (start menu, menu structure, etc)

Then when I am done there could be a link on the task bar to exit the desktop and run metro. In this case it is a win win situation....

Then when I am done there could be a link on the task bar to exit the desktop and run metro. In this case it is a win win situation....
Nope, you can't have that. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is the guys here who like Metro don't even want there to be a way for those of us who don't like it to have a standard desktop. They want us to be punished for being to ignorant to understand the benefit of Metro.

skip-metro-header.png

I prefer ViStart, but the bad part is that it doesn't support right clicking on things within the Start Menu, which I do quite often.

The biggest complaint I have with Metro is that I am going to have to completely rethink and relearn the way I have been using a computer for the past 15 years. It's totally unnecessary and unfounded.

Nope, you can't have that. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is the guys here who like Metro don't even want there to be a way for those of us who don't like it to have a standard desktop. They want us to be punished for being to ignorant to understand the benefit of Metro.

I certainly can't speak for the others who like Metro, but I wouldn't mind at all if there was some way to reincorporate the old start button and menu into the desktop while still retaining the new functionality in 8. My post was just to illustrate how the new approach is actually a benefit to me, how the old approach likely wouldn't work with the options 8 brings to the table and why I think Microsoft is going to stick to hot corners rather than bringing back the start button.

The biggest complaint I have with Metro is that I am going to have to completely rethink and relearn the way I have been using a computer for the past 15 years. It's totally unnecessary and unfounded.

This is not a troll, but just how is Metro going to force you to completely rethink and relearn the way you use a computer? I've been using 7 since it was in beta. I keep my apps pinned to the task bar and use the jump lists to launch recent documents. Very occasionally I would have to rummage through the start menu to find some obscure app, but other wise I only went there to shut down the machine. In 8 not much has changed for me. I keep my apps pinned to the task bar and use the jump lists to launch recent documents. If needed I can rummage through the start screen to track down a seldom used app. 8 has been trivial for me to assimilate. Microsoft may brag that 8 is "Windows Re-Imagined" but to me my desktop looks and works pretty much the way it did in 7.

I'll concede that there will be some adaptation required to use 8, but when has that never been true of a new Windows release? Unless you're still rocking Windows 98 you've certainly had to do some adapting over the last fifteen years. What was I missing in 7 that I should be angry about not having now that I'm using 8?

Most people don't give a poot about the OS. They just want to get the job done. They're the majority and will be the ones who decide if Win 8 is a winner or a flop, not nerds like us.

I'll concede that there will be some adaptation required to use 8, but when has that never been true of a new Windows release? Unless you're still rocking Windows 98 you've certainly had to do some adapting over the last fifteen years. What was I missing in 7 that I should be angry about not having now that I'm using 8?

While under the hood they are miles apart, going from Win95 straight to Win8 would be easier than WIn7 to Win8 and Metro without ViStart.

Hit the nail on the head, and it really is how Microsoft thinks about this whole metro thing....

Users should WANT to use the new features you are pushing, not be forced into them....

Here's something to keep in mind: the UI in Win7 is still the same UI concept that was incorporated to Windows back when Windows 95 came out, although significantly modified. Yes, if it was a person, it'd almost be old enough to vote....and piss me off by asking "Who's Pantera?"...

When 95 came out, people flipped out just as hard. I know I blew a gasket when I saw the start menu and immediately formatted and went back to Windows 3.11.

Moral of my drivel: give it time, people will learn to like it. We just dislike change.

Here's something to keep in mind: the UI in Win7 is still the same UI concept that was incorporated to Windows back when Windows 95 came out, although significantly modified. Yes, if it was a person, it'd almost be old enough to vote....and piss me off by asking "Who's Pantera?"...

When 95 came out, people flipped out just as hard. I know I blew a gasket when I saw the start menu and immediately formatted and went back to Windows 3.11.

Moral of my drivel: give it time, people will learn to like it. We just dislike change.

when win 95 came out, IT SOLD LIKE HOTCAKES it was staggering to note the sales of that os. It was a well deserved welcomed improvement over windows 3.x

I don't know where you lived, but I never heard any such complaints, in fact, everyone I knew couldn't wait to get their hands on 95 when it came out. This is actually the first time I've ever seen so much hatred for an upcoming version of Windows (ME/Vista weren't hated until after they were released).

Whether or not MS is ultimately heading in the right direction with Metro, they really need to stop and consider how much negative feedback there is right now; it doesn't matter if the rage is totally unfounded, the simple fact is, it's there, and it's not going away.

And all it would take to quell the rage while simultaneously knocking this one out of the ballpark would be to simply add the option of getting the old start button back, that's all. I guarantee you, just that one small concession would almost universally win everyone over to Windows 8.

Last edited:

Ok, being serious here; what are you finding different with the Win8 desktop compared to 7? Besides the Start button which is replaced with the floaty in the bottom left? I tend to use my desktop for gaming and my laptop for everything else (browsing, IM, file tasks, etc) and from my usage other than the initial boot up I am 'living' in the desktop with my desktop shortcuts and pinned applications like I have it on my Windows 7 partitions. Programs are opening and running as per expected and any file association that I did not like opening with the Metro app (pic viewer, video) I re-associated them with their Win7 counterpart.

I have basically recreated my Windows 7 'experience' within Windows 8 but I like it in that way. I have the same desktop yet hot corners and other desktop tweaks such as file explorer and task manager. Maybe it's because since Windows 7 I have not had any use for the Start menu for every single task that I do? And for when I do, the full screen-ness of 8 doesn't phase me?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I can work with the new stuff how come others are so against it as if Metro took their first born? Or maybe I'm not as stubborn to change as I think :D

Ok, being serious here; what are you finding different with the Win8 desktop compared to 7? Besides the Start button which is replaced with the floaty in the bottom left? I tend to use my desktop for gaming and my laptop for everything else (browsing, IM, file tasks, etc) and from my usage other than the initial boot up I am 'living' in the desktop with my desktop shortcuts and pinned applications like I have it on my Windows 7 partitions. Programs are opening and running as per expected and any file association that I did not like opening with the Metro app (pic viewer, video) I re-associated them with their Win7 counterpart.

I have basically recreated my Windows 7 'experience' within Windows 8 but I like it in that way. I have the same desktop yet hot corners and other desktop tweaks such as file explorer and task manager. Maybe it's because since Windows 7 I have not had any use for the Start menu for every single task that I do? And for when I do, the full screen-ness of 8 doesn't phase me?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I can work with the new stuff how come others are so against it as if Metro took their first born? Or maybe I'm not as stubborn to change as I think :D

This. The task bar still works like it did in Win7. Jump lists still work like before. Over the years Microsoft has made many tools available that let you avoid the Start Menu. They all still work in Win8 and you can take advantage of them to avoid the Start Screen if you wish.

To me, the Start Menu has always been a necessary evil. I used it from time to time, but as soon as I was finished mousing through that maze I was straight back to the desktop. It isn't something I'm nostalgic for now that it's gone. By contrast, the Start Screen may actually become a destination for me as the app store starts filling up with apps. The pinball game is fun. I like the constantly updated weather report. The news magazines are interesting to read and attractive to look at. We shall see what the future holds but even the present is still more than the "necessary evil" the Start Menu was.

Right now the Start Screen is "The Future 0.9." We haven't even gotten to the 1.0 version yet. I'm sure Microsoft will continue to improve it as time goes by.

Ok, being serious here; what are you finding different with the Win8 desktop compared to 7?
How about making this more interesting. I accept that there is a slim chance I am wrong about Metro. I invite you, Chinese, Heat and others to convince us why Metro is better than the original Start Menu and not simply a serviceable replacement. Each feature can then be graded for pros and cons. I will start (pun intended). :rolleyes:

Feature:
Metro brings a unified user interface to PC, laptops, and tablet computers.

Result:
Some business may find a unified desktop more easy to train employee's on multiple devices. However, there is no evidence showing that a unified desktop environment is needed. Several platforms currently compete with the PC and are successful, all which use their own UI.

How about making this more interesting. I accept that there is a slim chance I am wrong about Metro. I invite you, Chinese, Heat and others to convince us why Metro is better than the original Start Menu and not simply a serviceable replacement. Each feature can then be graded for pros and cons. I will start (pun intended). :rolleyes:

Feature:

Result:
Some business may find a unified desktop more easy to train employee's on multiple devices. However, there is no evidence showing that a unified desktop environment is needed. Several platforms currently compete with the PC and are successful, all which use their own UI.

You avoided my question altogether and are trying to debate about something else besides the desktop :(

First off, fuck a lot of business. It's Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Not Business Preview or even Business Casual. As we all know, IT departments will use an older revision and hold back patches due to either compatibility issues or to avoid workstation upgrade headaches. I'm stuck with XP SP3 at work and we MIGHT get Windows 7 before Christmas. We ALL know corporate deployment of software is always behind and at work we're forced to use what they give us. So yeah, fuck a lot of business.

My question was what was different in your everyday Windows 8 Desktop compared to Windows 7 Desktop usage. I went listing how I'm literally finding them the same with the addition of the corner hotspots, noticeably quicker bootups, performance, etc. I also said to me, the lack of a graphic Start button was a non-factor because the lower left corner hotspot brings it up. Also for myself the full screen-ness of the Start Screen doesn't phase me enough to light my pitchfork on fire either. I've already admitted I don't use much of the preview Metro apps in there but that's only because these are default apps that don't always work out for my benefit most of the time. If I had more apps to play with, I'm sure I'd find something. I find myself using the RDP Metro app the most out of the Metros.

After reviewing what I said already, if I can remake my Windows 7 desktop inside Windows 8, and this is what I believe most of us on [H] will do, why bother going to 8? That's the real question for all of us. For myself, I will go to 8 simply because I can plod along as I have been for the last 15 years, have some under the hood updates and some new crap to play with. The tiny cosmetic change to the desktop doesn't irk me at all. The larger cosmetic change with the Start Screen doesn't bother me either, in fact I can see myself grow into it a lot more. For others, you will see Windows 8 as something 'forced' and the fact that you 'have to live with it' without any options to hide these cosmetic changes you disregard any benefit to anything 8 brings to the table. Every single post I've seen of people disliking 8 but not being some retarded ranting troll has said, "Well, I would like it a lot more if I can add the Start button and turn off the Start Screen." It's more of a issue of forced change. And to those I say...wait til after release, I'm sure more Startdock programs will creep out.

And to those who are in IT at a corporation, they will say, "Windows 8? Fuck a lot of that" and go back to WinXP/IE6 :D

Loaded Windows 8 Beta a few days ago. Been playing around with it in a attempt to find out why it even exists? My initial reaction? I will stick with Windows 7, which I'm very happy with and Microsoft, you can keep 8, it's not for me!!

Business applications limited to HTML/Javascript.
Sounds like awesome win. If your problem can't be solved by a language with 5 math functions and a langauge with zero business usable features then you can't do it on our new Metro Platform.

Sure, Windows 8 can run all of your legacy applications such as Photoshop, MathCad, AutoCad. But legacy applications are going the way of the Saber Tooth Tiger.

If your business only needs HTML and Javascript and you've been spending money on Windows Licenses then it's probably been an utter waste of money. Buy a tablet, throw a browser on there and point it to the html website.

Sure, Windows 8 can run all of your legacy applications such as Photoshop, MathCad, AutoCad. But legacy applications are going the way of the Saber Tooth Tiger.

So long as there is a market for legacy apps, ISVs and Microsoft will continue to support that market. The Windows desktop isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Neither are the apps that only make sense to run on the Windows desktop. If that market does dry up it won't be because Microsoft chased users away, but because a different paradigm coaxed them away.

Even though tablets are proving to be more than the fad net books were, traditional desktop apps are not really going to go anywhere in the near future. Metro or no metro. I think that tablets are here to stay, however their use is going to remain limited for some time simply due to lack of power for more than the most rudimentary creation.

Using a tablet with stylus as an input device for a real PC makes all kind of sense for photo shop and the like. The fact that the real computer could, and likely will, eventually exist only in the cloud makes it even more likely that tablets will stick around. However voice and the stylus are still second rate input devices for a great deal of content creation, so the real PC or at least traditional PC input devices will simply have to migrate over to the tablet if they are to truly become the primary computing devices. Personally I think that crossover devices like the Galaxy Note may prove better suited to that. More people have/need smartphones than have/need/want tablets.

In any case, I really dislike metro on the desktop. It seems to serve no other purpose than to help MS sell phones and tablets. Which is a market I am not sure they can really break into with the lead both iOS and Android enjoy. I have already learned the new Metro interface, and can use it fine for the most part, but I still prefer the traditional start menu. It is unlikely I will go out of my way to buy Win8, and should I build a new PC sometime shortly after Win8 launches it will be a toss up on whether or not it has Win7 or Win8 on it.

However voice and the stylus are still second rate input devices for a great deal of content creation, so the real PC or at least traditional PC input devices will simply have to migrate over to the tablet if they are to truly become the primary computing devices. Personally I think that crossover devices like the Galaxy Note may prove better suited to that. More people have/need smartphones than have/need/want tablets.

One thing to keep in mind is that touch, pens, keyboards and mice can all be using simultaneously in Windows 8, this is even true with Windows 7. With the right hardware like a dual mode digitizer like those on convertible tablets, you can use all of these input methods together, they're not mutually exclusive and indeed they give you the ability to use a computer in different ways that's far more flexible that keyboards and mice alone.

It is unlikely I will go out of my way to buy Win8, and should I build a new PC sometime shortly after Win8 launches it will be a toss up on whether or not it has Win7 or Win8 on it.

So much focus has been put on Metro that there's little being said about the other improvements in Windows 8. Windows 8 will probably be a good bit faster and battery efficient than Windows 7. And there's going to many thousands of Metro apps and some of them will be great and some of them will work well on desktops with keyboards and mice.

There will surely be much complaining of Metro and the Start Screen forever, even as Office has sold better than ever there are plenty that still hate the Ribbon. But as new hardware comes out geared for Windows 8, when people see that it's faster and allows their laptops to run longer on battery and when there will be all kinds of apps that have look modern and slick and break out of the old Windows gray I think it will be harder and harder to argue against Windows 8 when it does everything Windows 7 does and more. Most people will pick up the UI in a few days and never really think much about it after that.

Third party start menu's will become extremely popular. There is a few now but I suspect that will increase a ton. I'll probably use one my self. I rarely use start menu except for recently opened programs. But I can naviagte the start menu faster than the metro start. If metro start used folder like structure that would solve some problem. But the other problem is the huge amount of mouse movement you have to do to navigate metro.

I use a 24" monitor and I can move my mouse cursor from one side of the Start Screen to the other without lifting my hand so I haven't notice any undue amount of mousing needed to move around it.

On the other hand, the mousing in the Start Screen isn't as painstaking as is required to navigate the Start Menu. I know people who avoid the Start Menu simply because they aren't very good with a mouse. The Start Screen will be a boon for them.

If Microsoft don't take Metro out of Windows 8, for the first time since ms-dos, I won't buy the latest Ms Operating System available and that's final for me.

If Microsoft don't take Metro out of Windows 8, for the first time since ms-dos, I won't buy the latest Ms Operating System available and that's final for me.

There is absolutely 0% chance Microsoft is removing Metro. Have fun in Linux I guess?

Feature:

Result:

Feature:
On high-resolution displays you can fit far more items on the start screen than you can on the start menu.

Result:
Those users who never use the handy search capabilities (most non-technical users) will no longer have to navigate through the mess that is the All Programs folder structure. (DISCLAIMER, I actually agree that a folder concept on the start screen could be very useful, but the way its implemented in the W7 and Vista start menu can be cumbersome.)

Feature:

Result:

The Start Menu is nothing more than a static list of icons, the Start Screen and tiles offer a framework that's much more than a list of static icons, indeed the Start Screen even provides a app view is us basically that same list of static icons.

As for mobile OS tablets offering a different UI, mobile OS devices were designed to be used on touch only devices where as Windows 8 is being deigned with other input methods in mind. The UI on smart phone is like that of tablets since iOS and Android are used in phones and tablets. Since Microsoft is trying to actually make Windows 8 work on tablets rather than just slapping desktop Windows on a tablet like it has in the past, it makes sense that Windows 8 have a consistent experience across all form factors and input methods.

Metro start has a messy way of doing a folder structure but its nested deep. I think you first have to get to all apps, then some other mouse click that takes you to shortcuts. Then you click on those and it takes you to a sea of icons labeled by names. Still more work than say going to start -> utility -> acronis -> acronis true image home.

That's what I like about win7 start when you need to use something you don't use that often its easy to access. And if you need to use it again later that same day its on recently opened programs. And I don't even think metro has a recently opened programs list.

Metro is fancy and stuff, but its not built for speed for a mouse. I have around 20 things pin to the taskbar that I use everyday. The rest I leave in my start menu since I have over 90 programs installed. But there will be third party start menu support. I think in windows 9 they'll have some kind of metro desktop that will merge the two better.

Well I don't know what gets everyone so riled up and hateful about Windows 8. I don't post as much in the forums anymore but I do come and read the discussions a great deal. This one here the only problem I see is people are adverse to change as usual. So of the same folks here complaining about Windows 8 are the same ones that complain that Microsoft never does anything revolutionary and radical.

Microsoft has done something I've waited a long time to see which is get away from this classic crap and just go in another radical direction. I say bravo to Microsoft for going outside the box and doing something that is well outside their comfort zone. As a company MS has started to right the ship and get all the things they do on a common platform.

I'm using Windows 8 CP as my primary OS and there isn't a leaning curve for me...I use it just like windows 7 and have had no problems. As far as regular no techie consumers this is a dumbed down OS just for them. I will say it like this most consumers can barely navigate windows 7. Don't tell me they can as an argument because most here know that run computer shops, repair places, corporate IT workers...and the list goes on see it everyday how high consumers aptitude for computers is(not much).

Why did they go in this direction with windows 8.....look around at the devices that everyone knows how to use. Smartphones and tablets...logic dictates that MS would have to eventually embrace those two or not have much relevance in the future. MS use to act like a big sloth of a company, but this time they learned from past mistakes and decided to not try to paddle against the technological current and stagnate.

The market is flowing in another direction and MS like most big companies better answer and go with the flow if they can't control it. Someone at MS has figured out that they need to reinvent themselves and go a different path. I applaud what MS has created and think it will be more of a hit then most [H]er's think it will be.

With this new OS there will be some changes to the hardware market. I think there is going to be a lot more touchscreen monitors coming out for desktops and more changes.

Metro start has a messy way of doing a folder structure but its nested deep. I think you first have to get to all apps, then some other mouse click that takes you to shortcuts. Then you click on those and it takes you to a sea of icons labeled by names. Still more work than say going to start -> utility -> acronis -> acronis true image home.

That's what I like about win7 start when you need to use something you don't use that often its easy to access. And if you need to use it again later that same day its on recently opened programs. And I don't even think metro has a recently opened programs list.

Metro is fancy and stuff, but its not built for speed for a mouse. I have around 20 things pin to the taskbar that I use everyday. The rest I leave in my start menu since I have over 90 programs installed. But there will be third party start menu support. I think in windows 9 they'll have some kind of metro desktop that will merge the two better.

No...just no. When you install acronis (or any other program) it will have a shortcut (or perhaps 29 shortcuts, one thing that I dislike) already pinned to the start screen, making it accessible in 2 clicks. If you remove its tile then its an additional 2 clicks to get the all apps, or you could simply search for it (far superior). And navigating through the All programs structure in Windows 7 is very clunky at best.

I'll never use touch on the desktop its physically impossible. I never ever touch my screen cause I don't like to see finger prints when I use my computer. Also holding your arm out for long periods of time is just not comfortable and can lead to back issues. Touch has uses outside of business, but I would quit a job that told me here's the screen you have to touch all day. People talk of post PC like touch is going to replace the mouse. Totally crazy stuff like that.

My screen is not even in touch distance and if I had a larger screen it would be even further away.

Windows 8 brings nothing radical to the desktop, it does for tablets but that's it. And you wonder why so many are complaining.

Back