Windows 8: Hate It Already? Waiting Won’t Help

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are with the school of thought that waiting for the next version of Windows will improve your chances of going back to ‘normal’ Windows functionality, you had better rethink your strategy. The signs point to a strategic shift in priorities at Microsoft looking toward the future, which in this case, looks like it favors hand held devices over work stations.

Either way, it's highly unlikely that Microsoft will abandon its current vision and let this new wave of computing pass the company by. Desktop purists may not like the new look of Windows, but it’s here to stay.

Microsoft will lose a lot of business and have many calls from unhappy consumers buying new computers with this shit on it then. Hope they are ready to up their call center staffing for all the complaints when new PCs ship. Good luck MS.

While true that waiting won't make them go back (unless it fails in a most miserable way), much like with every "new" architecture you wait a version for them to get their head out of their asses and make it work right.

That said Win7 might be very well like XP, in that people stick with it for well beyond it's lifespan and honestly if that doesn't send a clear message to MS about what people want then fuck them.

Strategic intent and generation of actual sales are different animals. If Windows 8 doesn't make a lot of profit or of touch-based computing really does turn into a fizzled out fad, then Microsoft will either be leaving the door open to another competing company that will offer a desktop/laptop OS with a more useful interface (something rather unprecedented in the industry) or they'll have to go back to the drawing board to "reimagine" the UI. Time will certainly tell the tale and, either way, it'll be interesting to watch what happens.

What's the point of writing code on the iBad? I mean, since you can't compile it, it seems kind of futile unless we are going back to the days when computer programs came in magazines and you typed in the code from the printout.

My customers are still giving Win8 the thumbs down. I've let three of my customers take my demo laptop home to try it and they have all returned it within three days. I ask they why they don't like it and to a person they essentially say 'It's not Windows anymore'. They hate the changes, as do my walk-ins. A few younger people seem interested but anyone older than 25 seems to dislike it. I'll support it but I have a feeling I won't be doing many 'upgrades' to it.

My computers will stay on Win7 because I sure as hell am not going to run that piece of shit on my gear.

Microsoft will lose a lot of business and have many calls from unhappy consumers buying new computers with this shit on it then.
The GUI is designed for idiots, so the idiots should be happy its idiot proof.

Its the power users that will be most annoyed, but if its that big of a problem I'm sure a third party app will come along shortly to make W8 look just like W7 cosmetically.

After all, I had a XP machine back in the day that looked virtually identical to a W7 install.

My guess is there will be a Windows 8 desktop UI version in the near future for the ones who don't like change. my actual problem with windows 8 is the underlying technology is really good, only the UI is bad, unlike Vista where the kernel was pathetically slow and unstable, this is where im really having seconds thoughts of "not" shifting to a windows 8/2012 infrastructure.

And surprisingly at my end, non-tech savvy users actually like the new interface because its new, while the whole IT department hates it, im seeing a trend where the enthusiasts maybe are now separated from the masses?, well honestly, we will only see where this will go in a few years, we've heard it all before, "f*ck MS Windows 2000 sucks, vista sucks, xp sucks, 95, 98 sucks, MS will loose desktop market big time" and yet, they are strong as ever, so im still not placing bets if there will be zero adaptation to 8, maybe there will be changes, maybe not

Sorry to say it but Microsoft's customers are the people who don't know how to use a computer. Metro is perfect for them because it's just like their smartphone which they probably pay way too much for.

Wait till you get your hands on it. I am lucky enough to work for a PC company who the RTM is already available for and I'm here to tell you you can do everything you used to do on Win7 without hardly ever using the Metro interface.

I've been using Win8 RTM for a few weeks now and the adjustments were minimal.

I do not however have it running on my gaming system at home so I have yet to do any serious performance testing. But for productivity (work) uses it seems just fine. I'll be right there bitching with you guys if it performs like shit with gaming. But the UI just isn't a deal breaker for me as you don't have to use Metro if you don't want to.

My guess is there will be a Windows 8 desktop UI version in the near future for the ones who don't like change.

This is honestly all it would take for me to upgrade. Give me the an option to have my start button and shut down button. It would be such an easy way to make sales for MS its amazing they haven't announced a feature like this.

My guess is there will be a Windows 8 desktop UI version in the near future for the ones who don't like change. my actual problem with windows 8 is the underlying technology is really good, only the UI is bad, unlike Vista where the kernel was pathetically slow and unstable, this is where im really having seconds thoughts of "not" shifting to a windows 8/2012 infrastructure.

And surprisingly at my end, non-tech savvy users actually like the new interface because its new, while the whole IT department hates it, im seeing a trend where the enthusiasts maybe are now separated from the masses?, well honestly, we will only see where this will go in a few years, we've heard it all before, "f*ck MS Windows 2000 sucks, vista sucks, xp sucks, 95, 98 sucks, MS will loose desktop market big time" and yet, they are strong as ever, so im still not placing bets if there will be zero adaptation to 8, maybe there will be changes, maybe not

I don't wanna derail anything, but Vista was pretty stable. It was/is slow (I still use it on one of my home computers) but most of the stability issues were caused by hardware manufacturers who had no idea how to write drivers. Admittedly, that was Microsoft's fault for not releasing enough information early enough. Once the driver garbage got sorted, things got better.

It's not really the same thing, while win 7 was UI was in fact still identical to what it was designed in win 95, while with win 8 they aim to change the way windows desktop works. Because of that all that hate.

I don't wanna derail anything, but Vista was pretty stable. It was/is slow (I still use it on one of my home computers) but most of the stability issues were caused by hardware manufacturers who had no idea how to write drivers. Admittedly, that was Microsoft's fault for not releasing enough information early enough. Once the driver garbage got sorted, things got better.

I still have a single core socket 754 Athlon64 running the same Vista install from 2007. It has managed to survive a failed hard drive and the abuse of my family members. That's pretty good in my book.

I completely understand MS' motives. They want to compete in the mobile market... are waaaay behind their competitors. The only thing they have to leverage is their desktop market dominance.

If they can successfully merge the desktop and tablet environments (with the help of "metro" app architecture), they have a chance.

Just like with XP and its "buble gum" UI, I will probably hate it at first... Work hard to make it like it was then after a year or so give in being sick and tired of all the tweaking and then ultimately get used to the changes and things are normal again.

I will admit I haven't played around with it yet, but the pics just seem too in your face... I am willing to bet if you could just customize the menu so it didn't take the whole screen it would be at least manageable...

As others have said I am willing to bet most users will not have to rely on the new start. I rarely use it now, just to find/open rarely used apps. Apps that I currently use often are in my taskbar, systray or desktop, I am guessing win8 will be the same.

I don't really have a strong reason to upgrade right now since there is no killer feature in Windows 8 I need ... I upgraded to Vista because I wanted 64 bit support and the GPU accelerated desktop and DirectX 10 ... I upgraded to Win 7 for the more efficient kernel and DirectX 11 ... right now there is no killer feature that requires me to update ;)

Not sure why people hate it. It's different for sure but it is still as usable as before. I personally have no issues with it and have been able to work fine in it. I've had to change some flows and found some hot keys to do what I was doing before, but now, I'm able to do it faster because I no longer have to rely on the mouse much. The start screen i will admit is some what useless besides for a handful of apps, but when the app market picks up and developers start designing good apps for us to use, it will be more relevant than what it is now. Quick frankly, I very much enjoy the speed boost brought about by this version of Windows. Windows boot in 2 secs to my desktop and all of my virtual machines run faster too!

Then, we just move on to Apple products or stick with Windows 7. It's simple really. I'm not an Apple Fan Boi but I sure as shit given the choice between Windows 8 and Lion. I will go to the Apple OS.

I've built several Hackintoshes and they are a pleasure to to us when you have i7 and a high-end, supported video card.

Sorry, just not interested in the least to use a tablet os on my computer.

Wait till you get your hands on it. I am lucky enough to work for a PC company who the RTM is already available for and I'm here to tell you you can do everything you used to do on Win7 without hardly ever using the Metro interface.

I've been using Win8 RTM for a few weeks now and the adjustments were minimal.

I do not however have it running on my gaming system at home so I have yet to do any serious performance testing. But for productivity (work) uses it seems just fine. I'll be right there bitching with you guys if it performs like shit with gaming. But the UI just isn't a deal breaker for me as you don't have to use Metro if you don't want to.

It works fine for you or me but it is going to cost the OEM manufactures money as the IT support of most companies will not want to teach or wait for their employees to learn how to use it. I didn't like it but was able to make it work fine.

Why can't they just give people a damn option? I've never owned a tablet or a smart phone, and most certainly don't want my entire desktop limited to acting like one.

I mean the whole goddamned reason smart phones have the interface they do is because they have small screens and limited CPU power, WHY DOWNGRADE DESKTOPS?!?!

And like I said in the other threads, locking certain applications to Full Screen, it's NO LONGER WINDOWS... It should be called Buttons 1.0! Big ass, nasty buttons!

I'm not a big hater of new things, but I can't call this new. They're emulating weaker platforms. That's not new, that's just dumb.

It isn't that bad. I do want to find a way to stick metro in the BG like it is on server 2012. Other than that is isn't that I have adapted well to it. The all apps right click in metro is kinda useful.

Oh and I am 33 and was raised on various cmd lines. An os is an os. It does things. Power shell fills in the gaps anyways.

106h4s0.jpg

I explained to my mother (who loves her iPad) that Windows 8 would "put a very tablet-like interface on Windows." She recoiled.

If the "Win8 Hate" isn't just power users griping (I'm not saying it is or isn't--only sales figures will tell us whether this is true), Microsoft will be pulling an HBO/RIAA/MPAA with regard to the relationship between consumers and producers of products/services.

"We are going to sell you a product and tell you how you are going to use it. How you want to use it does not matter--you will use it as we want you to."

The question is whether this will piss off enough consumers to make Redmond change tactics come Win9.

Meh,

I have no reason to Switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 today (or when it launches), and with Windows 7 Extended Support not ending until 2020, I'm in no rush to switch.

What could make me switch is something like a new Direct X not available for Win7 or something like that, in which case I'd consider it. But then I'd probably just mod win8 to run the win7 explorer or something like that.

Chances are - however - pretty good that I'll pick up a Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet (the one that runs x86), as they seem pretty awesome. They give me everything I have waited for from tablets for years. A real tablet interface able to run full featured desktop software.

That graphic is oversimplified and terrible.

For consumer windows versions (excluding the NT's and w2k) I'd make it something like this:

- Windows 3.1 (OK / Meh)
- Windows 3.11 (Good)
- Windows 95 (meh)
- Windows 95 OSR2 (solid/awesome)
- Windows 98 (buggy at launch)
- Windows 98 SE (Awesome)
- Windows ME (awful!)
- Windows XP (Solid, but slow and heavy at launch, better with service packs)
- Windows Vista (Rocky launch, not really MS fault)
- Windows 7 (most solid version yet)
- Windows 8 (time will tell)

Wait till you get your hands on it. I am lucky enough to work for a PC company who the RTM is already available for and I'm here to tell you you can do everything you used to do on Win7 without hardly ever using the Metro interface..

Is the PC company you work for Microsoft? Simple challenge: If I want to watch a movie or read an email while launching something from the start / metro interface (ie: I am watching a movie and press the windows key), how do I do that without being interrupted?

I could do this in Windows 7. You are telling me I can do "everything" I used to.

Challenge #2, how do I split 2 metro windows 50/50 across the screen? Granted I can still do this on the Win 8 desktop but I think this simple challenge proves how flawed the whole metro interface / apps are.

Meh. Call me when Microsoft states this themselves. This is nothing more than a sensationalized opinion piece coming from an Apple-biased site.

windows 8 is the best os microsoft made! The only thing is they freaking decided to remove the classic start menu.

With that option everyone would have been happy. I dont get why they decided to force the metro start.

It works fine for you or me but it is going to cost the OEM manufactures money as the IT support of most companies will not want to teach or wait for their employees to learn how to use it. I didn't like it but was able to make it work fine.

Well I work for the one OEM who is embracing the challenge that the Surface Tablet presents and is attempting to raise the bar as well. The companies who are against the Surface Tablet usually do not have as robust an R&D department and I can see where Surface Tablet would be an almost insurmountable hurdle for them.

windows 8 is the best os microsoft made! The only thing is they freaking decided to remove the classic start menu.

With that option everyone would have been happy. I dont get why they decided to force the metro start.

There has got to be a registry setting that can be tweaked somewhere. I'm just waiting for someone to find it.

It bothers me that they are changing the control panel again. I still immediately switch my machines back to a classic control panel before I do anything else.

Is the PC company you work for Microsoft? Simple challenge: If I want to watch a movie or read an email while launching something from the start / metro interface (ie: I am watching a movie and press the windows key), how do I do that without being interrupted?

I could do this in Windows 7. You are telling me I can do "everything" I used to.

Challenge #2, how do I split 2 metro windows 50/50 across the screen? Granted I can still do this on the Win 8 desktop but I think this simple challenge proves how flawed the whole metro interface / apps are.

Nope not Microsoft. ;) But if you dig deeper in the HardOCP search feature you could figure who I work for easily.

I think the answer to your question is, don't use the Metro interface to start the app. If you use Metro, it puts it in the left blade Metro swap (whatever its called) thingy. However if you start the app from an icon on the desktop then I have been able to do all the same multi-monitor stuff I have always been able to do in Win7.

What's with all the stupid comments. People, of all things, you are supposed to be the enthusiast. I mean I haven't messed with Win 8 myself, but damn -- when it comes out friggin load it and try it before you knock it. Quit ya whinning about something that you have control of -- Use it or forget it. Simple. Just like Vista and ME, a lot of people ended up kind of skipping them if it's really bad.

One of the few reasons why Win8 looks the way it is, is because they want to have a homogeneous gui in place for all their platforms. Get on Xbox - similar GUI. Get on mobile platform, similar to desktop.

I don't like Metro but if this is the way Microsoft is going to go and I have no choice, then I want them to totally strip out the Desktop. I hate the flipping back and forth. I want one or the other.

having used it for a couple of months now i dont hate it but i dont see any reason to upgrade my win7 machines.

meh, i lived without a start menu prior to win95/nt4.0....i'll learn have to learn to live without it again eventually (once driver/application support for win7 starts drying up)

either that, or software developers will start natively developing their stuff for other OS's and I'll jump ship and not worry about this whole Metro thing.

What's with all the stupid comments. People, of all things, you are supposed to be the enthusiast. I mean I haven't messed with Win 8 myself, but damn -- when it comes out friggin load it and try it before you knock it. Quit ya whinning about something that you have control of -- Use it or forget it. Simple. Just like Vista and ME, a lot of people ended up kind of skipping them if it's really bad.

One of the few reasons why Win8 looks the way it is, is because they want to have a homogeneous gui in place for all their platforms. Get on Xbox - similar GUI. Get on mobile platform, similar to desktop.

So maybe I haven't been paying enough attention ... what is the big technical feature that Windows 8 is offering that requires my update (besides the Metro GUI) ... Vista had 64 bit and DirectX 10 and hardware accelleration for the desktop ... Win 7 had an improved kernel and DirectX 11 ... what is the killer feature of Win 8 ... I haven't seen DirectX 12 even mentioned for the near future ... is there some other must have feature I missed?

So maybe I haven't been paying enough attention ... what is the big technical feature that Windows 8 is offering that requires my update (besides the Metro GUI) ... Vista had 64 bit and DirectX 10 and hardware accelleration for the desktop ... Win 7 had an improved kernel and DirectX 11 ... what is the killer feature of Win 8 ... I haven't seen DirectX 12 even mentioned for the near future ... is there some other must have feature I missed?

People talk about faster booting and a new scheduler, but that's about it.

I see no reason to upgrade at this point unless you really like Metro for some reason.

Back