Windows 8 Hard Drive showing as a removable disk

Format _C:

2[H]4U
How do I get my hard drive to stop showing as a removable drive? The motherboard is an old Intel DG33TL/Core 2 Duo E6400 and the SATA controller is set to AHCI

The only drivers for the SATA controller (Intel G33+ICH9R) I can find are for vista or XP

The Vista ones might work, you can try them, since Vista, 7, and 8 tend to share the same drivers (with some incompatibilities here and there).

I thought this was a side effect of using AHCI since it enables hot swapping? All the hard drives on my computer show as being removable.

The old intel board for my i7 920 did this too. So far since then I haven't experienced it.

Enabling AHCI enables hot swapping in windows so all drives should be able to be removed.

I'm pretty sure I've used motherboards that allowed you to set the hotswap behavior for each drive in the BIOS, so that the drive wouldn't show up as a removable device. I can't remember if my current (Asrock), or previous (Asus) board did this, but in either case they were fairly recent UEFI BIOSes.

You will find the latest Intel drivers on Intel website. Not sure it will help with your problem that isn't really a problem, though.

What will happen if I accidentally safely remove the only hard drive? as
the computer only has one hard drive and no optical disc drive
The HDD however is in two partitions (One for OS and one for data)

What will happen if I accidentally safely remove the only hard drive? as
the computer only has one hard drive and no optical disc drive
The HDD however is in two partitions (One for OS and one for data)

it'll probably fail and say it can't.
have you ever tried to do the "eject usb drive" when you're reading from it or writing to the flash drive?
Windows errors and says it can't eject the device because it's in use.

Back