Windows 8 gamign spikes

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I've used Win8 during evaluation and the biggest gripe was during gameplay. I will constantly 'spike' even though my latency is consistent (20ms).

Essentially my character warps around every few seconds, and during big fights, will warp around some more. Formatting to windows 7, no issues.

This sounds more like a driver issue, but there are no other drivers i can get. All are up-to-date.

Does anyone have the same issue? And do you have a fix!?

System info

Windows 8 pro x64
League of Legends
nvidia Geforce GTX 570 (latest drivers, 306.9someting)

I've been playing on my GTX 580 using drivers 306.97, and I have noticed no such issues in LoL.

I still think nVidia drivers for Windows 8 are buggy. I've noticed a lot of issues with flash acceleration in Windows 8 with nVidia.

Hmm yeah, seems the vsync was it for me this time around. I remember when I was using the eval, no setting would get rid of it. Looks like its resolved then!

and yeah I've noticed some of that too, i guess its just immature drivers

Yeah, gonna play a game of LoL right now. Let me check my settings.

You should delete/rename this thread.

Windows 8 gaming spikes = forgot to check v-sync 'cos I'm 1337!

:rolleyes:

I have vsync enabled on mine, with the FPS cap set at 80 with all settings at max. No stuttering whatsoever.

hm thats interesting, i'm going to try with a higher fps cap. mine was at 60

Just tested, Max 80 FPS helps till it gets intensive. Turning off the vsync gets rid of it for sure.

Do you have all settings at very high?

Just tested, Max 80 FPS helps till it gets intensive. Turning off the vsync gets rid of it for sure.

Do you have all settings at very high?

Try enabling adaptive Vsync (NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> under Feature list switch Vertical sync to "Adaptive")

Really nice feature to take advantage of with NVIDIA cards. Essentially it disables vsync dynamically when the card can't maintain 60FPS, then re-enables when it can, so its best of both worlds. And it handles that toggling/transition in milliseconds so in a practical sense its realtime.

Hmm... yes, I do. Running 1920x1080 all settings maxed out as high as possible.

Try enabling adaptive Vsync (NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> under Feature list switch Vertical sync to "Adaptive")

Really nice feature to take advantage of with NVIDIA cards. Essentially it disables vsync dynamically when the card can't maintain 60FPS, then re-enables when it can, so its best of both worlds. And it handles that toggling/transition in milliseconds so in a practical sense its realtime.

Got it, I will test it out later tonight when I take a break.

Interesting. I have mine on all very high, 1920x1200.. I will have to see after I test out the setting.

Hmm, after a few days, I have noticed that I have had to turn off vsync entirely. A lot of game crashes and stuff with other games if I dont.

I'd assume this is all just attributed to premature drivers and that I would have to wait a few months.

Update in case someone else has similar issues:

Nvidia drivers 306.97 were unstable for me. Reverted down to 306.02 beta driver set and fixed all of the stuttering issues went away.

Sig has system specs in case someone needs that for reference.

Last edited:
try turning on triple buffering in the nvidia control panel. since there is no reason for your 570 to be stuttering during LoL

I've actually tried that. The stuttering was even more apparent on WoW and on the desktop.

WoW would crash and then stop processing graphics - there would be a frozen screen, but activity the background would continue (if i clicked on certain areas, actions would happen and i would hear it from the sound cues.)

Back