Windows 8 "full screen browser" no maleware and spyware?

CyByte

Gawd
If you are using Windows 8 in the full screen side and running the Chrome app, or Explorer app, etc. Is it not all integrated like the regular windows side, so it's more like Android, Windows mobile, and iOS, where you don't get infected by maleware, viruses, spyware, etc?

Or since it's still Windows is it integrated and these things are not self contained yet within the app?

If you are using Windows 8 in the full screen side and running the Chrome app, or Explorer app, etc. Is it not all integrated like the regular windows side, so it's more like Android, Windows mobile, and iOS, where you don't get infected by maleware, viruses, spyware, etc?

Or since it's still Windows is it integrated and these things are not self contained yet within the app?

IE seems to have separate browsers for Metro and desktop versions. But Chrome definitely is the same browser whether it's in Metro or desktop mode.

I would imagine that if you run into malware with the Metro browser your computer is still as vulnerable as it is in desktop mode. The Metro version of IE seems to have have a little more safeguards, such as it won't run Flash on untrusted websites.

But I don't think running apps in Metro is a free pass to relax your common sense when browsing.

Is there any reason why someone can't write an app to be more like Windows 8 mobile or any other mobile OS where that can't happen at all?

It would be nice to be able to have some family members only browse with that web browser, so there are simply no infections possible short of actually downloading something.

Is there any reason why someone can't write an app to be more like Windows 8 mobile or any other mobile OS where that can't happen at all?

. Is it not all integrated like the regular windows side, so it's more like Android, Windows mobile, and iOS, where you don't get infected by maleware, viruses, spyware, etc?

I don't think it's ever going to be safe to assume you won't get infected by using a browser regardless of the browser version or the operating system.

Use a sandbox for your browser.
Some sandboxes let you limit what each application can do.
My PC hasnt been infected since I started using one, thats a few years now.

If your browser supports plugins, disable scripting except on those sites you trust.
If you ever end up somewhere you didnt intend, there are less ways of getting attacked.

What's the best way to disable scripts in Chrome? I use Firefox sometimes with noscript. The problem is I go to so many sites that it's useless since almost every site doesn't load properly and it ends up wasting a lot of time (especially if it's for work)

What's the best way to disable scripts in Chrome? I use Firefox sometimes with noscript. The problem is I go to so many sites that it's useless since almost every site doesn't load properly and it ends up wasting a lot of time (especially if it's for work)

Enable scripting permanently for the sites you like, then you dont have to mess about.

You can configure the buttons on Firefox, I've put one Noscript button at the top to enable elements of a page or the whole page, either temporarily or permanently.
And another Noscript button to remove all temporary permissions applied so far, they are also automatically removed when you close the browser.

Back