Windows 8 File History Fail

Bop

2[H]4U
I had a disk with about 800GB of data fail on me, so using Win8 File History I initiated a restore. The copy process gets to a file named "archive_x.dat" and then the transfer rate drops to 0 bytes/s and hangs there indefinitely. The process eats up about 5GB of RAM and 60% of CPU cycles. After 10 hours I had to kill it. This happens every time I attempt a restore no matter what snapshot I use.

Simply copying all the files from the NAS works fine.

I'm tempted to start paying for Acronis again...

No idea how file history even works. I know its not the same a Shadow Copies. Where are you storing the Filehistory "cache"

You are not doing backups using windows backup?

I had a disk with about 800GB of data fail on me, so using Win8 File History I initiated a restore. The copy process gets to a file named "archive_x.dat" and then the transfer rate drops to 0 bytes/s and hangs there indefinitely. The process eats up about 5GB of RAM and 60% of CPU cycles. After 10 hours I had to kill it. This happens every time I attempt a restore no matter what snapshot I use.

Simply copying all the files from the NAS works fine.

I'm tempted to start paying for Acronis again...

Run Spinrite on the drive. I'm sure you'll get your data back, no need for a restore. After the drive comes up, back it up.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Back