Windows 8 Falls Further Behind Windows 7 in Pre-Launch Stats

The guy's just joking around. No need to flip out.

I think he was joking...

No dammit! I was ultra-serious!!!! RRRAWR! Everyone else should call me retarded and then pretend to ignore me after getting upset at being called out for missing an obvious joke.

Also this...

I <3 quoting myself said:
Therefore, it is everyone's right and duty to be very emotional and upset over it in a forum.

...is a fulfilled prophecy.

The only feature I saw that I really wanted was the whole file copy/paste structure thing.

The ability to have 7 moves/copies going on a single hard drive, and being able to pause or prioritize certain ones. Instead of having them all go at 10mb/sec you can have them finish in the order you like. I just remember seeing a video of this a long time ago.

Haven't tried Win8 yet - and don't really plan to. When something works this good - people are reluctant to move on.

Think about it - if MS can't get a large group of [H]ardcore nerds to jump on the Windows8 band wagon, what do you think is going through the average joe six pack's brain when it comes to "computers n' stuff" + Win8

Hell, all our machines here at work are WinXP - and people STILL have a hard enough time with that. If we joined the 21st century and got Win7 we would have a few hundred retards that suddenly couldn't do their job because "it's new".

Win8 looks like MS trying to unify all the architecture -- which is great, but I think they F'd up on the desktop part from what I've seen. The other slight rub is every companies attempt to integrate "social" aspects into my OS, games, phone, whatever. More and more I'm annoyed at how everything seems to revolve around what your friends are doing and not what you are trying to do on your own. Maybe it's because I'm 30 and now an old coot... (no really I'm already a crotchety old fark)

Get off my lawn, and take that fancy Windows8 crap with you :)

Install Teracopy friend!

No, because Win8's UI is counterproductive for a desktop. I dont want to take a step back in my UI just because Microsoft wants me to buy Metro applications. And one device to fit all scenarios? Sure, if all you do is surf the web, email and play tiny app-games. Theres lots of stuff a full PC can do a tablet can't. The hardware gulf is just too vast.

There's never been a functional difference in Windows running on different form factor x86 devices. From Windows XP to Windows 8 on x86 a desktop and tablet has the same functionality. Of course the criticism has been up until Windows 8 that Windows was a desktop app that Microsoft was forcing on a tablet and there were a LOT of issues with that approach.

Of course now many are saying that Windows 8 is too much of a tablet OS and isn't suited for desktops and keyboards and muce. It's just that in running Windows 8 for 10 months on desktops, laptops, convertibles and tablets, all the programs that I've always run in the desktop in Windows, they run as they always have with keyboards , there's no loss of anything for me. And now on tablets, tablets that can run those desktop programs now are much more useable with touch.

You are doing it wrong... the easily breakable backne has a delicious cream filling.

the solution is to lay her on the stomach, take her from the back, and suck on the backne until they pop in your mouth and release their delicious, slimy contents.

Thats all for tonight folks!

*bows*

That was disgusting and I think you should get a 1 day ban just for posting that :)

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Win 8 will be a failure (at least for desktops and laptops) like Vista and ME were.

I still say Vista sucked.

I like Windows 7.

I have not evaluated Windows 8, but, it looks quite ugly at first glance.

If i didnt have to upgrade to Windows 7 due to SSD/DirectX 11/ and any future sofware patches/purchases that are made only for the "new OS" ---- I would still be using Windows XP SP3.

And as for usage numbers before launch, THE major reason to run this OS is that it will bridge the gap between all your desktops/laptops/tablets/portables.

How will it bridge the gap between my Windows 7 Home PC and my Android smart phone?

I'm in my 40's but still think WIN2K had the best interface of all the Windows products. I always switch Windows XP back to the classic interface when I use it. I upgraded to Windows 7 for the 64-bit hardware support and application compatibility -- not for any of the UI changes.

I don't think the majority of people are really using the "killer feature" of pinning things to the task bar. This was a feature stolen from OSX to compete with the Mac. I have whatever apps installed themselves there and whatever the defaults were but nothing else. If you're a Mac user, perhaps you would want this feature.

Jump lists -- never heard of them. I don't want the OS to try to guess what I want to do based on past history. Hated the changes to the Start menu which made the choices dynamic rather than static since it just made things harder to find. I prefer static hierarchical menus so things are consistent. Or alternatively, let me use icons and hierarchical folders on the desktop.

The Windows Key and search are also a waste of time. If you put things in the menu structure in a consistent way and didn't change things from version to version, you wouldn't need to search for things. I thought the whole point with Windows was to be able to navigate and do anything with the mouse and not the keyboard.

I have a desktop size of 6000x1200 consisting of 3 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). Metro would look horrible at this resolution. It would take forever to find anything if you have to scroll horizontally for everything. If I upgrade to this OS, it'll be strictly for perfomance/application compatibility and I'll use something like Vistart to get rid of the horrible Metro UI.

The only reason Microsoft is doing this to its customers is to get a consistent interface with phones/tablets and to present a marketplace. The problem is that the desktop UI is totally different than what one would want in a small periperipheral UI. Desktop monitors aren't going to have a touchscreen as a mainstreem option for a very long time and are way too large in comparison to the tablet/phone to have the same UI regardless. The Metro interface just goes back decades in desktop UI design. You might be able to use it but you're never going to like it if you've used a previous version of Windows. The market will make Windows 8 the new Windows Vista/ME unless users can turn Metro off.

I wish Microsoft would stop playing with the UI and just concentrate on make Windows faster and less buggy. This is what most Windows users want. Who wants to learn a new UI on each upgrade -- especially if it's a step backwards from even the Windows 3.0 UI. I'm not even entirely sure if it's better than the Windows 2.1 UI -- I'd say it's too close to call.

You do seem to be stuck in your ways! You won't pin things to the task bar, probably the killer feature for Windows 7, you refuse to use search, another Windows time saver, and apparently you won't organize the Start Screen. I'll bet "jump lists" is another time saving feature you've completely eschewed.

1. Seriously, horizontal scrolling with the moue wheel is that hard to figure out? It's a reason not to use Windows 8?

2. The tiles are big to make them easy to hit with a finger OR a mouse. The idea is instead of mousing through a maze of tiny menus you simply zip the cursor over to where it needs to be. I can get to things on my Start Screen just as quickly as I can painstakingly navigate through the cramped menus in the Start Menu. In fact, I think I could do it faster. Of course, since I keep my most used apps pinned to the task bar and use jump lists to activate them I don't actually spend a lot of time in the Start Screen.

3. You do know that you can rearrange stuff in the Start Screen? If you're obsessive about keeping your desktop neat and your task bar empty you can do the same thing for the Start Menu. You can put the apps you use the most at the front and unpin the ones you never use. A quick right click In the Start Screen lets you choose to bring up an organized presentation of all your apps, complete with icons for each. For me it's actually quicker to find stuff in Windows 8 than in the Start Menu.

4. What does this have to do with the Start Menu? Are you saying that having the ability to run more apps than you did before is a bad thing?

5. Feel better having got that off your chest?

Sorry, I still don't see why you're mourning the Start Menu.

There's never been a functional difference in Windows running on different form factor x86 devices. From Windows XP to Windows 8 on x86 a desktop and tablet has the same functionality. Of course the criticism has been up until Windows 8 that Windows was a desktop app that Microsoft was forcing on a tablet and there were a LOT of issues with that approach.

Of course now many are saying that Windows 8 is too much of a tablet OS and isn't suited for desktops and keyboards and muce. It's just that in running Windows 8 for 10 months on desktops, laptops, convertibles and tablets, all the programs that I've always run in the desktop in Windows, they run as they always have with keyboards , there's no loss of anything for me. And now on tablets, tablets that can run those desktop programs now are much more useable with touch.

Responding to the bold - That would be because it is. Try and spin is all you want, it doesn't change what it is. The absolute undeniable fact is Win 8 is a Tablet OS. The majority of the features are tablet features and only a few are actual improvements to non desktops.

I'm in my 40's but still think WIN2K had the best interface ....................

I stopped reading there...I support your right to choice, hence my opposition to Win 8. However as someone who used Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98 and everything beyond that. The Windows classic interface was just awful. Spend a few days in the Vista/7 Aero interface actually learning to use it not pretending too and you will never go back to that abysmal interface. Or don't, I don't really care personally. It is your experience after all.

Responding to the bold - That would be because it is. Try and spin is all you want, it doesn't change what it is. The absolute undeniable fact is Win 8 is a Tablet OS. The majority of the features are tablet features and only a few are actual improvements to non desktops.

And yet I enjoy the hell out of touching my desktop. :p

I stopped reading there...I support your right to choice, hence my opposition to Win 8. However as someone who used Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98 and everything beyond that. The Windows classic interface was just awful. Spend a few days in the Vista/7 Aero interface actually learning to use it not pretending too and you will never go back to that abysmal interface. Or don't, I don't really care personally. It is your experience after all.

Agreed, I'm 36 and I happily use every new shortcut which does in fact speed up efficiency. This is the equivalent of buying a faster car but not driving faster (suspending speed limit rules of course).

I've never said that the focus of Windows 8 was to make it work better with touch and tablets, that much is obvious. I don't know of too many tablet only OSes that can run Visual Studio or Office 2010 or multiple monitors. Using only a keyboard and mouse.

Windows 8 is a hybrid OS that runs on a variety of form factors and input methods. This is how I've used it for 10 months virtually everyday.

geeky_6.jpg

I dont get the bashing of Vista. Vista and 7 are almost the same thing.

The bashing of Vista was a result of its overall initial quality and the amount of incompatibility with XP. Vista and 7 are architecturally very similar, but 7 fixed the most egregious problems and did add some nice features like HomeGroups and a good boost in performance.

And oddly enough, it was the first version of Windows to support multi-touch at the OS level. As much as people love to bash Windows 8 as a tablet OS, Microsoft was clearly on the path of building touch deep into the OS even with 7, it's just that the classic UI and desktop apps don't support touch well.

I tried the pre-release for a bit with the new build, but the beta did not like my SSD in ACHI mode and went unrecoverable. So I went and picked up another Win7 OEM and called it a day. Metro's home page is really awful, but I could have lived with the OS as long as I could get every thing to work. I started liking the popup side menu for settings, shutdown and stuff. I don't use the Start Menu much in 7 anyway.

As humorous as this is (I laughed), it really means nothing and we all know it. If anything we can say that's one of the few things AOL did right and kudos to them being forward thinking. :)

After all, I can put up a picture of Android with widgets showing all the same stuff and who knows how many other friendly interfaces from various devices.

As humorous as this is (I laughed), it really means nothing and we all know it. If anything we can say that's one of the few things AOL did right and kudos to them being forward thinking. :)

Screenshot%20(6)%202.png

Color, imagery, typography, position and motion. Metro is retro by design but the effect can be beautiful especially when you see this type of thing in motion. The Woz is a big fan of the concept.

Color, imagery, typography, position and motion. Metro is retro by design but the effect can be beautiful especially when you see this type of thing in motion. The Woz is a big fan of the concept.

I might have misgivings about how well tablets will work out in the long term, but even naysayers hafta admit that's a sexah interface that looks to the potential future of computing as a different thing than we currently know it. :)

I might have misgivings about how well tablets will work out in the long term, but even naysayers hafta admit that's a sexah interface that looks to the potential future of computing as a different thing than we currently know it. :)

Hafta? No, just no. That is fucking butt ugly to me and the last fucking thing I want for a 'desktop'. If I lived on the internet then maybe, but that isn't the case. You can have it. The AOL bit further back in this thread made me laugh, especially the shills response to it.

"Sexah interface"? It's more like Peter Griffin's sex face....lol! :D

Screenshot%20(6)%202.png

Except they are stupid web pages and rss feeds by the looks of it. Any real apps on your start menu?

I stopped reading there...

That's unfortunate; it was a great post.

The only reason Microsoft is doing this to its customers is to get a consistent interface with phones/tablets and to present a marketplace. The problem is that the desktop UI is totally different than what one would want in a small periperipheral UI. Desktop monitors aren't going to have a touchscreen as a mainstreem option for a very long time and are way too large in comparison to the tablet/phone to have the same UI regardless. The Metro interface just goes back decades in desktop UI design. You might be able to use it but you're never going to like it if you've used a previous version of Windows. The market will make Windows 8 the new Windows Vista/ME unless users can turn Metro off.

I wish Microsoft would stop playing with the UI and just concentrate on make Windows faster and less buggy. This is what most Windows users want. Who wants to learn a new UI on each upgrade -- especially if it's a step backwards from even the Windows 3.0 UI. I'm not even entirely sure if it's better than the Windows 2.1 UI -- I'd say it's too close to call.

C'mon guys be nice! He loves his blocks :D

And as stinging as you think your criticism is, it's actually part of the point. I really would urge those that hate Metro to actually read the docs on Metro. So many of you beg Microsoft to listen to you. Have any of you listened to Microsoft? So many of you have said that "My users can't tolerate ANY change!" If you owned a business that was trying to make profit, can you honestly tell me that you'd build it around the considerations of people that could tolerate ZERO change?

Of course not.

Except they are stupid web pages and rss feeds by the looks of it. Any real apps on your start menu?

Sure, but they are static icons. And as stupid as you want to call this, these tiles can be anything in a rectangle that you want that updates once a minute at max.

Screenshot%20(6)%202.png

It just look so...

...FLAT to me.

Metro is stupid, but if there are enough under the hood performance improvements, I'll deal with it.

So the alternative is what, same old shit? Sorry a picture background with icons and a start menu is so old and boring to me, not to mention inefficient. Metro is a definite improvement, but hey if you want to shake your fist at progress then enjoy Win7.

Mine is mostly real app shortcuts, you can pin whatever you want. I have an entire section for work only apps and web links, how good/bad Metro is depends on the user.

So the alternative is what, same old shit? Sorry a picture background with icons and a start menu is so old and boring to me, not to mention inefficient. Metro is a definite improvement, but hey if you want to shake your fist at progress then enjoy Win7.

You can't make pyramids with those blocks, or arrange them by penis. So no, it's not an improvement.

Metro is one huge security hole just waiting to be exploited. This kind of thing is ALWAYS exploited.

Back