Windows 8 Facial Recognition Moves Closer to Reality

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Each week we all get another piece of the Windows 8 puzzle as the design and features are being implemented and tested. It seems like the leaks are coming faster and becoming more interesting as progress continues. Facial recognition, automated startup tasks and password control are the focus this week.

"Password pain has reached a tipping point," Microsoft says. "Windows 8 could include a way to securely store usernames and passwords, simplifying the online experience."

So if I hold up a picture of some various CEO I can have access to that companies computer systems. Nice.

The system will probably be smart enough to recognize a 2D photo. So just create a plastic head from a 3D printer and THEN you'll be able to have access to the company or government. Or just ambush the CEO at his house and steal an eyeball.

So if I hold up a picture of some various CEO I can have access to that companies computer systems. Nice.

If they're stupid enough to solely rely on that for security they deserve it.

If they're stupid enough to solely rely on that for security they deserve it.

No, you have to print out a color copy of the picture, turn it into a CEO mask, and type "password1" to log in.

Windows security is nonexistent because those who make the buying decisions don't want anything interfering with their own use of the computer (and aren't worried that it won't stop anyone else either).

This has been the big problem in past facial recognition security. I don't know any easy way around it. In other words, for the indefinite future, passwords will still be necessary with Win8.

This has been the big problem in past facial recognition security. I don't know any easy way around it. In other words, for the indefinite future, passwords will still be necessary with Win8.

Dual cameras to detect spatiality.

What does it matter if Windows does it by itself or free software does? Windows 7 is capable and does do this.

Because fortune 500s don't want to rely on some hacked together shit software. What happens when there's a bug that won't allow you to log on? A bad day for a home user, a literal distaster for 1000 corporate machines.

Because fortune 500s don't want to rely on some hacked together shit software. What happens when there's a bug that won't allow you to log on? A bad day for a home user, a literal distaster for 1000 corporate machines.

Nice Try. The software is made by Asus which im sure you know is the biggest provider of hacked together products. Only bug ive seen it have is if the camera is broke.

asus-smartlogon.jpg

Also wanted to add. If the camera is broke or something is wrong you can still login with your username and password.

Dual cameras to detect spatiality.

Practically no PCs have 3D cameras, making this not very practical for Win8 facial recognition. Even when 3D cameras become common, so will 3D displays that can provide that spatiality, still fooling the facial recognition software. All I have to do is have you say "hi" to my Nintindo 3DS, then I'll have free access to your computer.

Nice Try. The software is made by Asus which im sure you know is the biggest provider of hacked together products. Only bug ive seen it have is if the camera is broke.

http://laptoppimp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/asus-smartlogon.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yes I own an ASUS laptop (U36JC) which has smartlogon but you're wrong saying that Windows 7 does this. It's only with the use of 3rd party softwares that Windows 7 will do it, not without. The fingerprint reader softwares are the same story which also requires third party softwares too.

Yes I own an ASUS laptop (U36JC) which has smartlogon but you're wrong saying that Windows 7 does this. It's only with the use of 3rd party softwares that Windows 7 will do it, not without. The fingerprint reader softwares are the same story which also requires third party softwares too.
It does it on a W7 system. I dont see why your arguing about it being native as its already been done on W7, being native in W8 isnt a big deal.

It does it on a W7 system. I dont see why your arguing about it being native as its already been done on W7, being native in W8 isnt a big deal.
But it is not integrated in Windows 7 or XP though since these third party softwares are manipulating the operating system's functionality according to ASUS' design specifically designed for their own consumers. Microsoft on the other hand is making facial detection an integrated function of Windows 8 without any regards to any specific vendors. You're also arguing that this is a part of Windows XP since there are facial recognition softwares for XP as well. I'm sorry but you're wrong. Unless you prove to me that without the use of ANY 3rd party softwares, it is not an integrated part of Windows 7 or XP.

Webcams are shitty. There is no way in hell im sticking one on a monitor to log into windows. What if you have an accident? What if you change your hair or grow a beard? Or a tan?

Systems like this will always used a password based system, and it would be less time consuming just to type it in, which takes 2 seconds on long passwords. Or, as the passwords are already stored on the computer with this system anyway, save the password on the page and double click.

I'm surprised noone has gone for rhythmic passwords, where you type in particular word in a particular rhythm. Or pressure sensitive keyboards that remember peoples typing styles.

Back