Windows 8 Desktop Share Approaches 2%

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to these numbers, Windows 8 desktop market share is close to two percent just one month after launch.

Congratulations, Microsoft: your latest operating system is starting to make its mark. According to new data from NetMarketShare, 1.72% of all desktop computers in December 2012 used Windows 8, up from less than 1% in November.

One more fatal crash, and there will be one less. I've had just about enough.

Yeah it is buggy at times. Reminds me of XP and Vista initial releases. For me it has been immature hardware drivers, so not really MS's fault, but still annoying.

Signed driver shit is annoying too.

And how many of those were pre-installed OEM copies on various devices?

No problem here with Windows 8 except the occasional graphics not refreshing properly on my Intel HD 3000 GPU laptop. Nothing scrolling away and scrolling back or hitting F5 can't fix.

There's been three Intel HD 3000 GPU updates since I started using Windows 8 but none of them has fixed the issue yet. Ah well, it doesn't happen too often.

does that figure take into account all the folks that bought a pc with win 8 and then formatted and put win 7 on it?

I have it installed. No freezes, but I am really not enjoying this experience. I pretty much skip metro by windows key - E when ever it comes up to get back to the desktop I prefer. I can understand why they want the user experience between phone, tablet and PC to be similar to keep customers in the Windows world, but I simply do not enjoy this OS experience on the PC.

Another thing I am not enjoying, the app center experience. For example, working with PDFs prior to WIN 8 has been in Adobe or Nitro products. The default way in WIN 8 is via the app center and for me it has been extremely frustrating. I am trying to not change much to get the full WIN 8 experience, but it has been a chore so far.

Another thing I am not enjoying, the app center experience. For example, working with PDFs prior to WIN 8 has been in Adobe or Nitro products. The default way in WIN 8 is via the app center and for me it has been extremely frustrating. I am trying to not change much to get the full WIN 8 experience, but it has been a chore so far.

THAT is the worst part.

I have it installed. No freezes, but I am really not enjoying this experience. I pretty much skip metro by windows key - E when ever it comes up to get back to the desktop I prefer. I can understand why they want the user experience between phone, tablet and PC to be similar to keep customers in the Windows world, but I simply do not enjoy this OS experience on the PC.

The minute you install another PDF reader, Windows 8 should prompt you in the top right corner that you have another program that can open PDF files and whether you like to associate your PDF files to those programs. This has been the case in every Windows 8 machines I've installed with Adobe Reader, FoxIt Reader, and CutePDF Professional. Not sure why you're still using Metro's PDF reader after installing Nitro and Adobe Reader.

No problem here with Windows 8 except the occasional graphics not refreshing properly on my Intel HD 3000 GPU laptop. Nothing scrolling away and scrolling back or hitting F5 can't fix.

There's been three Intel HD 3000 GPU updates since I started using Windows 8 but none of them has fixed the issue yet. Ah well, it doesn't happen too often.

Got Win 8 on my old laptop/tablet with HD 3000 graphics. I'm using the old Win 7 drivers and no problems.

The minute you install another PDF reader, Windows 8 should prompt you in the top right corner that you have another program that can open PDF files and whether you like to associate your PDF files to those programs. This has been the case in every Windows 8 machines I've installed with Adobe Reader, FoxIt Reader, and CutePDF Professional. Not sure why you're still using Metro's PDF reader after installing Nitro and Adobe Reader.

Sorry for the confusion, I have yet to install any other app like Adobe or Nitro. I am attempting to use the default WIN 8 experience. It is not present. I am sure I will soon install another app due to the experience so far.

well im trying to avoid it after trying it for a while. might not be possible to buy a laptop without it soon :(

how long before heatlessun turns up in this thread :eek:

Sorry for the confusion, I have yet to install any other app like Adobe or Nitro. I am attempting to use the default WIN 8 experience. It is not present. I am sure I will soon install another app due to the experience so far.

Wasn't that the case with XP, Vista, 7 and basically all other Windows OSes? I don't remember doing much with any of my computers without my 30 plus applications being installed.

98% of that 2% were poor ignorant consumers that had no idea what they were getting and had no choice in it in either case.

Signed driver shit is annoying too.

Because actually enforcing security in an operating system is bad. I for one say Win8 is actually a good OS. It does have its annoyances, but it also has areas where it is much better than its predecessors.

I'm surprised I haven't saw more of a backlash so far. I use Windows 8 just fine, but that's because I use it like a normal desktop computer. I completely ignore Metro and the Apps and anything else Windows 8 specific.

My customers on the other hand, so far I've only had 2 come in that got a new laptop and a new desktop, both come pre installed with Win8 :rolleyes: I really hope Win 7 is around for a while yet, as I can't recommend Win 8 to elderly people for example, it's just too different.

The nightmare part of setting up Win 8 for a new customer is setting up a Microsoft Account, which seems to be the preferred way to sign in, that way if a customer wants to play their solitaire or freecell once they login once, they are signed in to their microsoft account for good, and don't have to worry about being prompted to sign in each time they want to download something.

Trying to help this one person set up her Microsoft Account, setup the stupid security questions and answers, then Microsoft wants to send an email confirmation...I accepted the email confirmation, said everything was good to go. I log out and log back in using the newly validated Microsoft Account information, except I couldn't login. "This Microsoft Account is currently in use. Please try another username" WTF? I had to login as a local user, then delete the Microsoft Account, then log out, then finally log back in as the Microsoft Account which worked. Meanwhile the customer is scared that she's going to have to do all this each time she wants to use her new PC, LOL. :rolleyes:

It would of been so much better if the whole Metro interface was an add on like Media Center. If you want to use Metro fine, just click on the Metro Icon.

I can try to help you debug those if you would like. Send me a PM. I'm not on the windows team any more, but can still probably help get you started in the right direction.

Update drivers. I had crashes on a mac mini ended up being realtek driver. Driver from their site was not good either. Had to find a newer build. worked fine after. No crashes on any 3 of my machines.

Actually I think the eldery find it easier with apps. That is why you see alot of people with smart phones. Apps are easier than having to install programs, find it either on desktop or explain what a start menu was for let alone a search. Most people just never used the start menu, if they did not see it on the desktop it must not be installed on the computer. I do not mind windows 8. If people cannot click a desktop app then they should just go use their phones. Windows 9 wont be changing it. It no longer is about the desktop model (tablets and phones). People need to learn to adapt or do not use windows.

I'm surprised I haven't saw more of a backlash so far. I use Windows 8 just fine, but that's because I use it like a normal desktop computer. I completely ignore Metro and the Apps and anything else Windows 8 specific.

My customers on the other hand, so far I've only had 2 come in that got a new laptop and a new desktop, both come pre installed with Win8 :rolleyes: I really hope Win 7 is around for a while yet, as I can't recommend Win 8 to elderly people for example, it's just too different.

The nightmare part of setting up Win 8 for a new customer is setting up a Microsoft Account, which seems to be the preferred way to sign in, that way if a customer wants to play their solitaire or freecell once they login once, they are signed in to their microsoft account for good, and don't have to worry about being prompted to sign in each time they want to download something.

Trying to help this one person set up her Microsoft Account, setup the stupid security questions and answers, then Microsoft wants to send an email confirmation...I accepted the email confirmation, said everything was good to go. I log out and log back in using the newly validated Microsoft Account information, except I couldn't login. "This Microsoft Account is currently in use. Please try another username" WTF? I had to login as a local user, then delete the Microsoft Account, then log out, then finally log back in as the Microsoft Account which worked. Meanwhile the customer is scared that she's going to have to do all this each time she wants to use her new PC, LOL. :rolleyes:

It would of been so much better if the whole Metro interface was an add on like Media Center. If you want to use Metro fine, just click on the Metro Icon.

1.72%?

I think Windows 98/me/2000 probably has more users still, combined if not individually.

Same here -- I have a fully legit copy of Win8 professional and out of the box it was clunky, the metro interface is pure ass for actually being productive and multitasking on a grand scale.

I finally used one of those free programs that gives you your start menu back and for the most part makes your computer like Win7. That would be all well and good but the damn thing crashes randomly every day or two.

Sometimes I can run bitcoin mining for days straight with no issue (100% rock stable on Win7 for weeks), other times I will be checking my damn email, no mining, no stress on the system at all and I'll get a BSOD. Add in everytime the machine hard crashes upon reboot it refuses to recognize my wireless adapter till I unplug and plug it back in.

The only thing I really love is the new Task Manager and the new copy/paste system they put in.

The windows 7 machine I have, it will run for weeks on end without slowdowns, driver issues, or crashes.

I know it might not be MS's fault - AMD has a history of shit-tastic drivers even when you aren't switching to a new OS. All I know is that I'm getting very close to wiping my drive and installing Win7 again just for the native start and freaking rock stable performance.

Got Win 8 on my old laptop/tablet with HD 3000 graphics. I'm using the old Win 7 drivers and no problems.

Next time graphics starts acting up again I'll give the Windows 7 driver a go. Good looking out!

Sometimes I can run bitcoin mining for days straight with no issue (100% rock stable on Win7 for weeks), other times I will be checking my damn email, no mining, no stress on the system at all and I'll get a BSOD. Add in everytime the machine hard crashes upon reboot it refuses to recognize my wireless adapter till I unplug and plug it back in.

Had only one BSOD since i installed Windows 8 in my desktop, and even that one was because of me being stupid and forgetting to upgrade my Crucial m4 firmware to fix the 5000 hours SMART bug.

It is probably down to AMD having "bad drivers" again.

Don't apologize to the typical trolls in every Win8 discussion that try to imply you're "stupid" or "using it wrong" or the classic "dont like change" because you have out of the box frustrations with Metro.

That's really the point these apologists are missing - if the damn thing cant just work out of box without all kinds of additional programs and tweaks, it has failed. This is specifically why IT Managers and CIO's are avoiding this thing en masse as well, because they aren't going to spend money to fix what needs repair on arrival.

Its a great o/s once you manage to get metro out of your face and/or install a start menu replacement that boots straight to desktop, but MS and the apologists need to get it through their heads that now wasnt a time they could afford to be polarizing or divide the ranks among longtime windows users.

yes because clicking the desktop button and using it like you did windows 7 is so complicated...

That's one of the drawbacks of going to a new OS. Is stability. I figure after SP1 it will be much better. But think MS wants to do a new OS every 2 years. So each new OS will have stability problems until a service pack fixes it. I think 4 to 8 years is a good time to stay on one OS. The longer its around the better it gets.

Don't apologize to the typical trolls in every Win8 discussion that try to imply you're "stupid" or "using it wrong" or the classic "dont like change" because you have out of the box frustrations with Metro.

That's really the point these apologists are missing - if the damn thing cant just work out of box without all kinds of additional programs and tweaks, it has failed. This is specifically why IT Managers and CIO's are avoiding this thing en masse as well, because they aren't going to spend money to fix what needs repair on arrival.

But his issue is actually that the damn thing works out of the box. He didn't install a PDF viewer, yet he can view a PDF file in the Metro based viewer. If he doesn't like it, he can do what he did in Windows 7 or older - install a PDF viewer from someone else. But complaining that Windows opens the associated application to view a PDF (which is what he just asked for by doubleclicking on PDF file) in case he didn't install other apps in the Windows 8 document viewer app is... "stupid" ?

"Suckers!"

Is the only word that comes to mind reading this headline...

If you're looking at Windows 8 and want it to just like Windows 7, yes that is "holding it wrong".

But with Windows 7 and below there is not PDF reader at all so you had to install something.

Its a great o/s once you manage to get metro out of your face and/or install a start menu replacement that boots straight to desktop, but MS and the apologists need to get it through their heads that now wasnt a time they could afford to be polarizing or divide the ranks among longtime windows users.

It's change, people don't like change. Appeasing a smaller and smaller number of users relative to the total number of computing devices isn't a long term strategy. Take the hit now while you can. I'm not saying that Windows 8 is an ideal solution but if Windows doesn't make the transition to more mobile devices it's future is just going to be very limited.

Eh? He was responding to me and I hardly think my reply was a troll reply. I think we understand that I misunderstood that he was saying he didn't like the default PDF Reader.

What I said stands, if I had thought he meant PDF readers would only open in Metro PDF Reader even after installing Nitro or Adobe.

Don't get your panties in a knot because you see something you agree or disagree with. Not all of us are as condescending as some others.

Back