Windows 8 Consumer Preview to be released 02/29/2012

Windows on ARM is dead to me without the desktop, and the ability to install your own apps

And this does go right to the heart of the matter as to way Windows 8 is the way it is. 3 million iPads were sold at the latest launch weekend and no one gave two shits about a desktop or the ability to install your own apps. I do agree with the spirit of what you're saying but the consumer world simply doesn't care about these things as much as we may.

Not sure how the HP Slate experience on Windows 8 really is. At it native resolution it can't run Metro apps and since it can't I've not even bothered to install Windows 8 on my HP Slate. I do hear that it runs much better than Windows 7 on it though.

...the consumer world simply doesn't care about these things as much as we may.
We all comprise the "consumer world". He is as much a consumer as anyone else.

People do want the capability to run and develop Windows Classic applications on WOA tablets. It's not even a subject of debate.

We all comprise the "consumer world". He is as much a consumer as anyone else.

People do want the capability to run and develop Windows Classic applications on WOA tablets. It's not even a subject of debate.

When it comes to Windows on tablets you're not going to find a bigger proponent of it than me. And while I agree that there is a market for the desktop on touch tablets it's simply tiny in comparison to something like the iPad. The VAST majority just want simple, fast and fluid when it comes to touch screen tablets. The Windows desktop, as powerful and flexible as it can be, just isn't these things.

And the proof is already out there. Yes, the Tablet PC still survives and there are even a few new and cool devices out there like the Samsung S7 Slate but the sales are just minuscule compared to the iPad and even Android slates. That said, people will pay a hell of a lot more more a good Windows tablet than an ARM device. Samsung has from what I can gather a lot of S7 Slates and the customer reviews have been stellar actually, for what it is it's incredible.

But the top models are going for $1500 these days, the price has gone up a bit on them because of the Windows 8 effect. It is the must have device for Windows 8 developers right now, so a bit of an anomaly going on. But as fantastic as the iPad is, people aren't going to pay $1500 for them in any real numbers.

That's why Microsoft had to do something for ARM devices, along with power and battery life considerations. And any kind of desktop x86 software on a WOA device that wasn't built form the ground up would certainly kill battery life.

Back