Windows 8 cant start - blank screen

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi. i have installed win8 on a dell xps 15 inch laptop and from today it wont load properly.

the bios boot screen come sup fine then after just a blank screen.

tried taking out the battery, starting multiple times and even hitting F8 and still same problem

I tried booting using win 8 upgrade OS ISO i made on a USB and what happens is that the win 8 blue logo appears in a blank background and then after a few minutes it disappears and i am left again with a blank screen?

any reason why?

Thanks all

No does not support USB 3.

BIOS probably not up to date as i have not updated the BIOS since i bought this laptop over a year ago

edit: when i try to boot up from win 8 install ISO. after like 10mins of the blank screen, this appears for a split second:

windows8_HAL_initialization-failed.png

i am not sure what the actual error is but a blue screen with the large text appears along with that face for a split second.

dont know the exact error that it says on my screen as the screen dissapears too quickly

After it crashes a couple of times it should start up in Recovery mode. Is that not happening?

I've seen a similar issue in Windows 7. Looking around on Google, a HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED is related to one of the following:
  • Installing Windows 8 in Virtual PC. Virtual PC does not support Windows 8 apparently.
  • Installing Windows 8 in an older or outdated VMware Workstation/Player, Virtualbox, or other VM software. Update the software before installing Windows 8 in a VM.
  • Installing Windows 8 on an older PC not supported by Windows 8. Look for newer drivers from the manufacturer if they're available if Windows 8 does not come with it.
  • Installing Windows 8 on a current PC with outdated drivers. Update the drivers if this is the case.
  • Installing Windows 8 on a current PC where Windows 8 cannot initialize the hardware. Try updating the BIOS and/or drivers.

problem is i cant do nothing ie install any new drivers mate as the laptop wont boot up the OS not even on safe mode!

Safe mode no longer runs on bios, it runs on a metro ui :(

Can you do a repair installation?

There is an option under there called Refresh Installation. This will erase all programs previously installed and downloaded except some of the drivers that Windows 8 cannot provide itself.

Another option is try to see if Windows 8 can repair the installation. You can try that first before doing a refresh installation.

Also, can you tell me the model of your XPS 15 laptop? It should be on the underside of the laptop.

I'm still looking around for a cause and a fix. Another site lists a HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED as not only a driver or BIOS issue, but could be malfunctioning hardware. The last time I've seen this in Windows 7 was when a chipset was damaged from overheating due to a badly mounted chipset heatsink. In that case, I had to replace the person's motherboard.

This might be a stretch: Want to try booting into a live CD version of a Linux distro and see if your laptop can boot into the OS?

If both Windows 8 on USB and Linux on USB can't boot on the laptop, then it's a hardware issue. If only Linux can boot on the laptop, then most likely the Windows 8 on USB needs to be remade or burned onto a DVD-R instead.

I'm just running through a list of ideas in my head right now.

currently trying to run win 7 os install, that seems to load fine(although it seems to be stuck on "loading setup" ??)

dell is a XPS 15 (L501x) Not that old either a year and a bit old

currently trying to run win 7 os install, that seems to load fine(although it seems to be stuck on "loading setup" ??)

dell is a XPS 15 (L501x) Not that old either a year and a bit old

There isn't an updated driver for Windows 8, and the last BIOS update was August of 2011.

I did find something you could try if you can get it on another computer:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/xps-15

Scroll down to Diagnostics then download the Dell Diagnostics Utility.

You can create a bootable USB drive that boot into it and diagnose your laptop's hardware. There is something wrong on the computer that could prevent both Windows 8 and 7 setup to load properly. Hard drive or something else on your laptop?

is my hdd screwed? afetr it taking a blooming age to get to the screen on win 7 setup for me to select teh drives i want to partition, i decided to reboot and restart again.

After booting up i now get this error:

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk
WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.Press F1 to continue.

im currently running a diagnostic test on the hdd using a dell diagnostic tool.

i started the test about 5mins ago and first test it is suppose to do is a read test.

current test progress 0% :(

not looking good:

edit:

Error message pops up:

Error Code 0F00:1332
Msg: DISK = Block 2099920: Interupt Request{IRG} did not set in time

The given error code and message can be used by Techincal support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?

Yes No Retry

NOT GOOD!! :mad: :( FUCK

fucksakes. fucking broke at the moment and cant afford a new HDD. fucking shit crap this is from Dell.
i did some googling of the error and it appears that TONS of people get hdd failures after a year outside the dell warranty.

Its as if they install some mickey mouse hdd on it.

incidently, i had two external hdd's both similar laptop oprtable ones and both failed?

Are laptop hdd's easier to mess up?

How solid and reliable is a SSD? thinking of throwing a SSD on my laptop

How solid and reliable is a SSD? thinking of throwing a SSD on my laptop

Sorry to hear, hate it when a drive goes bad. :mad: An SSD can give you a nice boost, I've upgraded most of my machines to SSDs and it has made given a sizeable performance boost, especially in booting and loading larger apps and files. Lots of good deals on SSDs these days, Newegg and others are constantly running sales on them.

I had two previous laptop drives. al went bad!

wtf is wrong with laptop hdd's? they dont fucking last do they? i have never had a desktop hdd go bad(PATA'S SATA'S SSD u name it) touch wood

Back