Windows 8 can no longer game.

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De
When I install a game I can no longer expect it to work.

List of games that work:
Metro Last light
BF4
Legend of Grimrock
TF2 (testing another Valve)
COD2 (does anything work?)
HL2 deathmatch
Dirt3
Dirt Showdown

List of non-working:
Portal2 (crash after level load)
Tomb Raider (the new one) (crash on launch after config)
Europa Universalis IV (crash on launch after config)
darksiders (crash on level load)

No rhyme or reason to the crashes, no connection to DX version...

I have reinstalled Windows 8 twice, swapped out SSDs... I was and am having BSODs...

The system was on windows 8 for 6mo before I tried upgrading to 8.1 and it was a rock.
Ever since then it has been a knightmare.

Even after the OS reinstalls which leave me puzzled. OS updates would cause it to stop booting and I would have to repair the bcd before I could boot again.

Ruled the SSD out as the problem continued after fresh install on a new SSD...

Today I just pushed through all the updates all the way to 8.1 without issue...but still the games wont run.

RV03 | Z9PE-D16/2L| 2x E5-2680 | 500GB evo| 4x 3TB 7200.14 R5 off P222 | AX850 | 64GB Reg DDR3 1600 | HD 7970 | PLP ZR30w 2x LP2065

Try using this program to remove your AMD drivers. When it asks to go into safe mode to remove them allow it to. Then reinstall your drivers and see if that fixes your issues.

I will give it a try... but I fail to see how this would help when a fresh install of the OS didn't ...
:rolleyes:

You indicated you freshly installed windows... did you re-install/re-download these games following the OS update? If you didn't and just ported over a drive containing your steam library, you may need to just have steam check integrity on the files for the wonky games.

You indicated you freshly installed windows... did you re-install/re-download these games following the OS update? If you didn't and just ported over a drive containing your steam library, you may need to just have steam check integrity on the files for the wonky games.

I did not port them over... and I have checked them sooo many times lol... blown them away redownload... I have 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012 x86 and 64 c++ distributables...
I have .net 3.5 (which rolls up 2- 3.5) I have 4 and 4.5 as well.

I am befuddled...
I have done hardware tests.... but its rather hard to prove a negative...

Ok so I looked at what you have (which is impressive) and the first thing I noted is that you've got multiple CPU sockets and 64GB of RAM installed. While you would think these things wouldn't normally set off any alarms, I know for certain that some applications and games freak out over things like having that many CPUs and/or that much RAM to deal with.

Check this out

You need to look into some affinity definition tools imho. Imagecfg, runfirst, runwithaffinity, startaffinity, and taskassign are the names of some of the ones I have in a tools folder on my machine. I can't think of any off the top of my head outside of EverQuest but I know I've dealt with multiple titles that absolutely freak the fuck out on certain multiple-CPU (physical, logical, etc) configurations.

If the issue has to do with RAM enumeration or something, I'm unclear how that would be mitigated, but I would definitely try some affinity modification stuff first.

Ok so I looked at what you have (which is impressive) and the first thing I noted is that you've got multiple CPU sockets and 64GB of RAM installed. While you would think these things wouldn't normally set off any alarms, I know for certain that some applications and games freak out over things like having that many CPUs and/or that much RAM to deal with.

Check this out

You need to look into some affinity definition tools imho. Imagecfg, runfirst, runwithaffinity, startaffinity, and taskassign are the names of some of the ones I have in a tools folder on my machine. I can't think of any off the top of my head outside of EverQuest but I know I've dealt with multiple titles that absolutely freak the fuck out on certain multiple-CPU (physical, logical, etc) configurations.

If the issue has to do with RAM enumeration or something, I'm unclear how that would be mitigated, but I would definitely try some affinity modification stuff first.

:HUG:
:D
I never would have guessed that... I have never had issues with dp rigs before...besides virtualbox not likeing to cross numa nodes.

I had a 2p G34 rig before this... Wow...

Europa Universalis IV still has an error and I gave up on darkslider awhile back I will have to download it again and give it a swirl. But Tombraider fired right up.

@OP

Do you overclock?

I would be on the wrong forum if I didn't ... but for test purposes no, stockish... flashed to GHz edition and its stable up to ~1175 but I run it at the stock 1050 setting.

:HUG:
:D
I never would have guessed that... I have never had issues with dp rigs before...besides virtualbox not likeing to cross numa nodes.

I had a 2p G34 rig before this... Wow...

Europa Universalis IV still has an error and I gave up on darkslider awhile back I will have to download it again and give it a swirl. But Tombraider fired right up.

Glad you've got a handle on it :D

Unfortunately all the other games still don't work lol. :mad:

Unfortunately all the other games still don't work lol. :mad:

Perhaps it's possible for you to drive those games in a virtual machine using GPU passthrough?

*You might also try doing that affinity business to the steam client itself. Like, set the affinity for steam to 2-4 cores and then try launching the game (portal 2 for instance) then drill into the executable's affinity info in task manager and see if it's inheriting its affinity from the steam client. At the very least it couldn't hurt to try it.

They do inherit the affinity

I have run 2p rigs before and portal 2 never had issues with it. Granted I only had 16GB on that config.

Might as well ditch windows 8 for a linux host if I am going to resort to running games in a VM lol.

They do inherit the affinity

I have run 2p rigs before and portal 2 never had issues with it. Granted I only had 16GB on that config.

Might as well ditch windows 8 for a linux host if I am going to resort to running games in a VM lol.

*shrug* I'm pig-headed about things sometimes, I'd probably go through all the BS just to try it and see if it works and then, even if it did, I'd be pissed about the VM thing too :p

Back